PDA

View Full Version : OT - Cars the movie (may contain spoilers)

Meaty
06-10-2006, 09:06 AM
I just saw Cars last night. Pixar has done it again. I really enjoyed it. It was really interesting, actually. The Incredibles, though also story driven, had tons of action, from begining to end. Cars didn't. I would actually call it a drama before I would label it an action movie. The story really is wonderful (and I am no racing fan).

The Pixar geniuses have, once again, created a world unto itself. I would say there is plenty for children and adults, but, honestly, I think there is more for adults. The movie is just overflowing with subtleties.

I noticed that there were a TON of trailers for animated movies. This was a 10pm show (so, few children) and people were actually clapping after the Barnyard trailer.

Note: feel free to post spoliers in this thread, but please denote the spolier somehow so as to not detract from a gem of a movie expierence of others.

***SMALL SPOILER BELOW***

I love how the movie pokes fun at "pimped out" cars and SUVs with spinning rims. Very funny.

cresshead
06-10-2006, 04:14 PM
maybe i'll change my mind once i see it....
but.. [i hate but's!!]

but the whole premis of car's watching cars on a race track is weird...

i can identify with ant's being given human characteristics...
i can identify with monster's working in a factory....
i can identify with super hero characters...
i can identify with fish and a family life connection:D
i can identify with toys coming alive...

but a world of cars with no humans...why do they exist then?....what's the point?...i just don't 'get it'!

just reminds me of robots [the film]....i put that dvd on ebay after watching it..:thumbsdow

hrgiger
06-10-2006, 07:10 PM
When I saw the trailer for Cars, I thought to myself, Pixar has finally jumped the shark.

That thought was confirmed when they let themselves be bought out by Disney.

It was nice while it lasted Pixar(throwing a rose on its coffin):cry:

hrgiger
06-10-2006, 07:13 PM
just reminds me of robots [the film]....i put that dvd on ebay after watching it..:thumbsdow

You know, I didn't like Robots at all the first time I watched it but now, my girlfriends 3 y.o. daughter loves that movie. So of course, I've watched it dozens of times in the last few months. I've really come to appreciate all the work that went into it. I really like it now. The metal surfacing in that movie by itself is mesmerizing.

Meaty
06-11-2006, 10:43 AM
but a world of cars with no humans...why do they exist then?....what's the point?...i just don't 'get it'!

I see your point. But remember, it's a cartoon. If you want to challenge the premise on which cartoons are founded, you are going to ruin a lot of good movies. "What?!! A pumpkin can't turn into a stage coach!" Let yourself fall into the story, it really is an excellent one.

I gotta tell you though, I was REALLY turned off by the trailer for The Incredibles. But it turned out to be one of my favorite movies of all time. Maybe it's because I was playing a lot of City of Heroes when it came out.:D

By now, Pixar has earned the benefit of the doubt, especially with Finding Nemo and The Incredibles. Until they put out a bad movie, they'll have my ticket.

Verlon
06-11-2006, 02:08 PM
Loved Cars......To each their own.

Probably my favorite Pixar aside from The Incredibles

kachow!!!!

cresshead
06-11-2006, 03:43 PM
cars seems to as 'abastract' as robots is but they then put the cars back into a human type world...i really hope i'm wrong but the idea IS still putting me off...i will of course go and see the film as i've loved nr every pixar story to date [except red's dream and finding nemo...]

guess i'm just getting the jitters as i really didn't think much of robots and never could bring myself to watch that other fish film with will smit doing the voice over where is was surposed to be underwater but looked anything but underwater...

hrgiger
06-11-2006, 04:37 PM
Hmm, usually for me, the lack of human characters would be a GOOD reason to watch a movie.

BeeVee
06-12-2006, 02:44 AM
I'm not looking forward too much to Cars... it doesn't look great from the trailers (sure there's some lovely scenery but...) however, have a look at the teaser for Ratatouille (http://www.apple.com/trailers/disney/ratatouille/hd/)! That had me laughing from the get go...

B

flakester
06-12-2006, 09:18 AM
The only Pixar flick I've never got on with is....... errrrm. Oh no, that's right - I love them all!!

On a technical note, the material/shader and rigging work in The Incredibles was astounding. The story was extemely well thought out. I have watched that and Monsters Inc literally frame by frame. (yup, "SAD-O!!") - but their animation work does make my mouth water.

Can't wait for Cars to hit the screens this side of the pond - I've been digging the trailers for a long time!

And like others, I did think that they may have sold out with the whole Disney thang, but as long as they keep doing what they do as well as they do it, I'm a happy chappie. I'd still like to poke Jobs in they eye - but I'm sure that's not just me! :p

flakester.

kylekoch
06-12-2006, 09:48 AM
I just have to say I Totally enjoyed it and didnt think I would. One of the best movies Ive seen in a while!!! Great story!! Amazing in so many ways not just the CG.
kyle

mrunion
06-12-2006, 10:25 AM
Well, I haven't seen Cars. I'm going to, but haven't yet.

But what I want to know is how it stacks up to Over the Hedge.

OTH was an EXCELLENT movie in my opinion! I thought the Incredibles was the best CG movie I'd EVER seen -- until OTH. I'd like them to run that movie on prime-time TV, 8-10, every night, on every open-air broadcast station for the ENTIRE MONTH of JUNE -- EVERY JUNE!! When the DVD comes out, I'm gonna go buy a whole bunch of them and tape them around my waist like a belt. I'm gonna put a DVD player in the car and play it 'til the animals are old and bald!!!

That movie was Bugs Bunny, Daffy-Duck and the rest of the GOOD Bugs Bunny/Road Runner show all rolled together. Their faces -- expressive, their falls -- painful, their acting -- too much! I loved OTH.

Has anyone seen BOTH Cars and OTH and care to give an opinion? I mean, OTH was THE movie that has been in my head (the animals and such) ever since I thought about liking cartoons and CG and actually making a movie. Heck, I bought LW because it did FUR out of the box (though that turned out to not be all I thought it was! -- SasLite....hmmmmm).

Anyway, call me a freak, but I LOVE FUR!! (Get your darn mind outta the gutter!) FUR is THE reason I love CG -- well that and fluid dynamics! Someday, man. Someday. I'll make my furry movie. Or I'll die dreaming!

jasond
06-12-2006, 10:26 AM
It was a little long for my 4 year old. Over The Hedge kept his attention better.

I think the critics are right in calling the story and the characters "threadbare."

I didn't expect to like it but I did. A lot. It's fun, beautiful, and I'd recommend it to anyone, especially if you're an animation geek.

I take it car buffs will love it. I hate cars, I'd rather burn one than fix it. No silly car fetish here. That said, the cars in the movie are primarily people.

I was concerned about the modern cultural gags going in. I really dislike that. But this story is grounded in modern culture. They aren't out of place or jarring at all. What else would you expect to see when the media is being used as a comical story device? I think Pixar did it thoughtfully, and I don't expect to see it again in their next production without the appropriate context.

I'd say it was better than Bug's Life and not up to par with the rest. That could be due to the story, or the fact that we're seeing enough of Pixar's portfolio to be familar with their pet themes, so it feels a little more unoriginal.

The virtues of the movie far outshine the problems with the rehash.

dpartridge
06-12-2006, 06:17 PM
It was a little long for my 4 year old.

my 2 year old boy was jumping up and down on his seat clapping near the end. i don't know who enjoyed it more. me or him. i think monster inc and toy story are the only pixar film that i enjoyed more. didn't think much of one man band though.

massmusic
06-14-2006, 10:07 PM
I’ve been watching the work of Pixar from the very beginning (yes I am that old) studying each frame for educational purposes. Lighting, texturing, character animation. When Toy Story hit the screen, I was like YES! A full feature (all I had before was Tron with its 40 some odd minutes of animation the kind that was produced by computer programers NOT animators...dayum I’m showing my age) Then when Toy Story 2 was being previewed in teaser trailers, I thought Oh-Oh! This ain’t gonna work. I have thought Oh-Oh for every Pixar trailer since to include The Incredibles the film I thought would be the equivalent to Spielburg’s A.I. Boy was I wrong. From a story point alone, The Incredibles is the most well written film I can recommend as a model for perfect script execution.....Animated that is. When I saw the teaser trailer for Cars two years ago the same Oh-Oh! Came to mind. I’ve yet to see the film but I’ve come to the conclusion that eventually Pixar will step on its bits and create an animated film where the story isn’t perfectly pinned on every corner. This is likely to be the case now that it is owned by Disney. But I can rest assure even if the story tanks, the animation will break new ground as it always does in each new Pixar film. When that happens I’ll once again see the films for educational purposes before entertainment.

Oh and while PDI's renderings are on par with Pixar and DW has caught up with its renderings, story wise.....