PDA

View Full Version : Render - polygon construction duplication

marlo.steed
05-30-2003, 07:53 AM
I noticed something odd with one scene that I recently tried to render out as a still image, it has fog and skytracer but nothing else that would be odd. I set the antialias to high but on each pass it rerenders all the geometry each time (says rendering polygons). What is with that? Is that normal? I set it to render over night and still wasn't finished in the morning so I finally quite it. This seems odd to me antialiasing shouldn't rerender all the geometry for each pass should it? I don't recall it doing that before. This seems like a waste of rendering time to me shouldn't it just be focusing on the edges and render the geometry once - I think that is what it normally does. Any thoughts?

Lightwolf
05-30-2003, 08:34 AM
That is normal.
What the AA passes do (if you use adaptive) is find the edges according to the threshold, and re-render those parts from a slightly (sub-pixel)jittered camera perspective. The geometry gets re-rendered as well.

Other renderers hide that approach within their single pass antialiasing, in LW it is just more exposed to the user.
Cheers,
Mike