PDA

View Full Version : Dongle issues!

erich
06-09-2006, 11:13 PM
I recently upgraded my dongle from Parallel to USB. Now my LW8.5 says it is the Discovery Edition! I tried running the new security software installer, but nothing happens when I double click on it. It just doesn't open or start. I have the license.key file in the LW8.5 programs folder.

How do I fix this?

Please help.

Silkrooster
06-09-2006, 11:55 PM
Did you install the latest Dongle driver? It was updated at ver8.3 of lightwave.
Silk

erich
06-10-2006, 12:04 AM
Yes. I did. Since I did not know how to fix this, I just completely uninstalled and re-installed LW8. And re-installed the parallel dongle. It found the dongle and license no problem. I then installed the upgrade to 8.3 and it asked me to install the new sentinel drivers - 7.0.1, I think. So I said yes. Restarted my system, as instructed, and then installed 8.3, but now it is once again unable to see my parallel dongle, so I cannot upgrade again to 8.5.

What do I do now? This USB dongle upgrade has really screwed me up! Current state is LW8.3 Discovery Edition! Arrrh!

Silkrooster
06-10-2006, 01:09 AM
I am not sure, but I think that the latest driver no longer supports parallel port dongles. I assume that was why they had the dongle trade offer awhile ago. If I am wrong I am sure someone will correct me.
You will find a link to the dongle driver on the downloads page at http://www.newtek.com/lightwave/downloads/index.php so it is no longer required to upgrade through 8.3 anymore.
Silk

androidmaker
06-10-2006, 02:25 AM
is the usb port working?

erich
06-10-2006, 08:53 AM
Thanks Silkrooster.

Android maker, yes the USB port is working. Windows is able to see the dongle. I just can't install the security software.

I uninstalled everything - LW and the Security program. I checked the registry and manually removed all references to the security program, but there were several keys that it would not allow me to remove. I suspect that these are what are causing the issue. With these keys in the registry, the application thinks it is already installed and therefore won't install again - just a guess though.

If I can find a way to remove thos keys, I think I will be able to start over from scratch and reinstall everything and it should work. Anyone know how to remove registry keys that have been locked? I get a "can't delete key: Error while deleting key" message. The keys are "Legacy_Sentinel" and "Legacy_Sentinelprotectionserver."

dgon64
06-10-2006, 10:23 AM
Sorry-can't help with your problem but I just wanted to say that I'm still using an old parallel dongle running Sentinel v.7.2.2 drivers with LW 8.5 and have had no problems-good luck!

erich
06-14-2006, 01:45 PM
Well. It turned out the solution was to turn off my anti-spyware program - Ad-watch (comes with Ad-Aware SE Pro). Once I disabled the "Active Monitoring," I had no problems installing the Sentinel Drivers. Go figure! I was also given the incorrect license key number, so that didn't help either.

Just thought you would like to know in case someone else runs into this problem.

Thanks for all your help.

Doran
06-17-2006, 12:20 PM
I am not sure, but I think that the latest driver no longer supports parallel port dongles. I assume that was why they had the dongle trade offer awhile ago. If I am wrong I am sure someone will correct me.

Newtek intends to continue to support the parallel dongle. My has always worked.