PDA

View Full Version : Difficulty Loading Images - LW [8]

nelson3d
06-09-2006, 09:07 PM
I give up on LW.... Like too many more users in this forum I simply canīt use any image file format other than tga (a big and heavy format...). I defy anybody to tell me wich application (even freeware) that canīt handle other image file formats. I know LW has lots of features and thatīs why I choose it but is unacceptable that I canīt find a way to use simple images in the program. If I ever dreamed it could happen... Many people in those forums were kind enough to try to help me and I thank you all, but everything has a limit. For sure Iīll stick with LW8, using only tgaīs but I loose something that is very important: confidence! If the program had those problems, the least that anybody could expect is that the manual or the site shows a good and clear explanation of how to solve it. Nothing... So, I loose my confidence and will look for a sidegrade to another app and just play with LW for a while. Iīm not new to 3D and have a solid background in computer graphics. Thereīs noothing more to do with LW but leave it.

monfoodoo
06-09-2006, 09:14 PM
I've never had any problems using any format in any version.

Carm3D
06-09-2006, 09:19 PM
Wow... Doesn't take much to put you off eh? Is this because LW doesn't load GIFs? It does load other formats than Targa. JPEG, PNG, etc. You do what you want.. It's your path and your choice to make. But I never thought I'd see the day that THIS was the reason someone leaves Lightwave. Usually an artist would want images loaded into Lightwave to have the highest quality possible. Only after the images are rendered would it be time to consider degrading the images; converting them to a palette-mapped image format for example.

nelson3d
06-09-2006, 09:25 PM
"Wow... Doesn't take much to put you off eh?"
I donīt want to use gifīs in a 3D program.... I want 24 bits images like jpegs and too many peolple have this problem. I posted several threads on this and its not that easy to discover that the most basic operation fails. Iīll try to reinstall the program but Iīm sure I made no mistakes, but....

Snosrap
06-09-2006, 09:34 PM
Calm down dude. This is a simple fix. Go to "Add Plugins" in the "Utilities" tab. Navigate to your LW 8 directory and open the "plugin" folder. Double-click on the "Input-Output" folder and load all the image type plugins. You should be good to go.

Cheers
Snos

nelson3d
06-09-2006, 09:46 PM
Thanks for the help Snos but that is the problem: I made it thousands of times and it doesnīt works... The LW comunity is the best I ever seen and many people tried to help me, like you, with that kind of advice AND IT DOESNīT WORK.... Iīm not precipitating. I just donīt have what to try anymore. I need to model some characters and is crucial I have a background imager to work with. I donīt want to loose all my images and textures in, say, jpeg and use only tgaīs... Never saw it anywhere...
Anyways, thank you fot the advice

Carm3D
06-09-2006, 09:52 PM
You might try adding only a few plugins at a time instead of everything in the directory. Sometimes they don't add if you grab too many at once.

Wade
06-09-2006, 09:54 PM
I use PSD and JPEGs day in and out with out a hitch. Most are small a few though are in the 10 to 20 meg range. Hope you find a fix.

UnCommonGrafx
06-09-2006, 10:03 PM
You, my friend,
Have a problem with your setup or your computer savy.

Good luck with your next app. As someone who hasn't seen any of your 22 posts, I sure wish we had a chance to assist you fixing your problem.

I've NEVER even heard of your problem unless it was related to screamernet, no less.

Again I say, Good luck with your next app. It won't get any easier, though.

nelson3d
06-09-2006, 10:14 PM
Thank you but no problems with the computer. No other 2D/3D software shows any malfunctioning except the one I want more to work, LW. Iīll try to reinstall it but not too many hopes here. By the way, since I have it, Iīll use it (always with tgaīs!) because I know it has lots of power in its modeler and probably in the rendering and animation too. Think I just wanted to claim about. Iīve never seen this kind of problem...

nthused
06-09-2006, 10:39 PM
A shame, Nelson3d.

I've been using LW 3D since ver.5. Never had any issues that couldn't be solved from Dan Ablan, the manual, or this list. I love working in this program (a vast majority of the time)...

Good luck.

Ark_of_Kaos
06-09-2006, 10:42 PM
Hey nelson, try calling tech support and get a human on the phone. There might be something wrong with the disk you got, or your dongle may not be operating correctly. Trust me dude, get the problem fixed and you'll never ***** about LW again. I've used Animation Master and 3ds Max and a few others...and I gotta say..."Lightwave Rocks".:rock: It's one of the fastest and most problem free apps I've used yet. I hope you get it fixed. I use it every day and I LOVE it.

hairy_llama
06-10-2006, 12:23 AM
I've never had that problem unless I did not add the image loader plugins. I use, or have used: .psd(photoshop) .jpg(jpeg) .tif(tiff) .tga(targa) .cin(cineon) .avi(audio video interleave) .mov(quicktime) .bmp(bitmap) .hdr(high dynamic range) .rla(no idea)
All of these formats work without problems.

t4d
06-10-2006, 01:22 AM
I use PSD and JPEGs day in and out with out a hitch. Most are small a few though are in the 10 to 20 meg range. Hope you find a fix.

agree I uses all sort of image formats in Lightwave
I even uses LW to convert image formats - 2 images one colour, one alpha
into a single BMP or TGA for games
LW is faster then Photoshop CS2 !! ( less clicks )

RedBull
06-10-2006, 01:32 AM
You could start by providing much more information about the problems and the environment that you are in. This way you might be able to solve the problem, rather then just vent your obvious frustration.

LW what version exactly, and what OS....... LW8.0, LW8.5, Mac/PC
WindowsXP?, XP64, LW64..... I mean at least explain the details.

What are the EXACT steps you do to replicate the problem.

Obviously nobody else on the forums, has seen the problem you have,
so unless you can help us replicate and disect the possible things you are doing wrong... We can't help you..

Is there an error message?, are you trying to load or save images?.
Are you loading them from the Image Editor?
Have you cleaned your config files?

You must provide an actual problem, if you would like to recieve an actual resolution.

Otherwise i suggest enjoy the Sidegrade.

jevinstudios
06-10-2006, 01:59 AM
don't know what you're talking about. LW8 (i use LW 8.5) supports all major formats, including JPEG, TIFF, TGA, etc. In fact the scene I'm creating now is using over 140 JPEG images for UV textures, and works flawlessly. I would recommend contacting technical support for this issue -- I'm sure they can guide you in the proper direction....

for outputting final scene image renders, I render to 32 bit TIFF, and that works just fine (I never use TGA, unless I absolutely have to). did you inadvertently modify your config files somehow to remove the additional supported file formats? Very strange problem you're havin' there, and certainly does not reflect the "out-of-the-box" LW file support system.

LW technical support team is the best, dude -- they'll help you out. just give 'em a call...

DiedonD
06-10-2006, 02:02 AM
Hi Nelson

I too especially like jpeg pictures. I also use alot of photoshop ones. I agree that I never had any problems using any picture file format. (Except only once when I couldnt put any kind of picture in the background but bmp files but that was ony once and afterwards it worked)
Did you take your problem to Newtek's tech support department. This maybe due to some graphic card or some 3rd party conflict that stops your LW from recognizing the input output plugins. They should be able to help you, or at least guide you through it. I usually ask them when worst comes to worse, I think you would qualify for that.
Id say take it with them, and if you want to leave LW and they provided it, then you have your warranty, and if they cant fix their own product, you should be able to return it or so. If worse comes to worse of course.
Otherwise its your choice. Just deal with the tech pro's before you trash LW, is all im saying.
Actually the only time I had a simliar problem was when I was trying to download LW with 64 bits. What LW are you using 32 or 64 bits. Because the later definitely needs more attention to its plugins.
Appart from all that....theres a crossroad ahead of you...be sure to make the right turn, for only you know where your headed.

Puguglybonehead
06-10-2006, 02:16 AM
Funny, I've had image format problems since I first started using Lightwave 8.3 (Mac). But I figured it was just a bug in the Mac version of 8.3. I find I can only use TGA or IFF. JPEGs, TIFFs or anything else will crash it. I worried about it at first, but it's not much of a problem with GraphicConverter around. I just remember to convert everything first. No big deal.

I remember when I used LW 5.6 on a PC, and I had no problems whatsoever. I just assumed my current problems were do to a bug with the Mac port. (not enough to make me want to go PC again, though) I suppose I should've posted in the 'bugs' section? :o

Anyways, nelson3d, what version of Lightwave are you running? What machine are you running it on? What platform? Which OS? What video card do you have? (yes, even this can be a factor) This is all pertinent information to getting you sorted out. Don't give up so quickly. There is surely a solution.

Compared to some of the other 3D software I've run, Lightwave is pretty much rock-solid. What few bugs I've found, almost always seem to have a fix. The only 3D app I've found that was more stable than LW had poor rendering quality in comparison. I'll take high quality any day.

mav3rick
06-10-2006, 02:19 AM
this is b*s*h*i*t

pauland
06-10-2006, 02:19 AM
Like too many more users in this forum I simply canīt use any image file format other than tga
Huh? what other users?

(it) is unacceptable that I canīt find a way to use simple images in the program.
It would be unacceptable if the program didn't handle anything but TGA, but that's not the case. Almost anything works.

So, I loose my confidence and will look for a sidegrade to another app and just play with LW for a while. Iīm not new to 3D and have a solid background in computer graphics. Thereīs noothing more to do with LW but leave it.

If you explain precisely what steps you take and what the error is, I've no doubt that the quys here, or at Newtek will solve the problem. if you have a problem with Lightwave and run from it, I can't imagine you'll have a problem free experience with anything else either.

Paul

duke
06-10-2006, 02:26 AM
Just throwing this in here - XSI didn't support any other image format than it's native .pic format up until I think v3.0.

Darth Mole
06-10-2006, 02:49 AM
this is b*s*h*i*t

Oh, that's helpful.

cholo
06-10-2006, 03:17 AM
Maybe your jpegs are in cmyk colorspace? If so, convert them into RGB. I know cmyk jpegs cause problems in non print related apps like VT and After Effects.

Kuzey
06-10-2006, 04:36 AM
There is a problem with the jpg plugin on some Macs, if you remove it and let Quicktime take care of it...it should work.

Can you save a rendered image to any image format ??

I think if it crashes while trying to save then it's most likely mean the plugins aren't loaded.

Have you quit and restarted LW once you loaded the plugins?

Kuzey

nelson3d
06-10-2006, 07:31 AM
A very common problem

These are posts found in Someone says that never saw this kind of prolblem, but only in the threads I made I received those answers:

1 - I have had all kinds of issues with Jpeg file causing crashes. Thanks to some handy words of wisdom from these forums, I changed to PNG file and solved the crash issues.

2 - Better that you don't use JPGs with Lightwave anyway. They cause instability, and sacrifice quality too. PNG is the best format to use, and also supports 8-bit color, which can save lots of texture memory.

3 - In my experience, I only had problems with JPG files was when I was using very texture-intensive models.... because JPEGS within LW use a lot more memory compared to PNG.

4 - just tried it and Modeler crashed. A tiff on the other hand worked, seems like a plugin bug to me.

5 - An update: I changed all my image maps from JPG to PNG format and everything rendered fine

6 - LW also doesn't like JPEGs, they cause stability issues, use PNGs. They're lossless and look better anyway

7 - There was a time when it was recommended to remove the jpeg.p plugin and the qttools.p would read the jpgs, so maybe it's just the plugin, and it wouldn't surprise me if it didn't cause problems for some, but I can't think of any real advantage to jpg's anyway.

8 - just to confirm what toby is saying, yeah had crashes in layout and stopped using jpegs, and crashes went, also had crashes caused by tiffs too. now i tend to use tga or png and they work fine

My system: P4 2.6 Ghz + 1G ram. Gforce 4 WinXp latest service pack.

Thanks for the help

nelson3d
06-10-2006, 07:46 AM
About the technical support

Someone said to contact the technical support but my experience with it was too bad (once more with LW and unlike ANY other software I ever used). I received an answer to my question (that doesnīt solve the problem) and, worst, was "redirected" to a place that doesnīt exist with a message to send my question to :http://www.grupocvc.com, by a person in the NewTek - Technical Support named GIL.... What it means to me is: Stop bothering us and elsewhere. Very encouraging....
So my desappointment with LW

DiedonD
06-10-2006, 07:46 AM
Nelson read my reply up there will you

nelson3d
06-10-2006, 07:56 AM
Hey Diedond
Thank you for the attention. I think I answered you in the post before. The result of my contact with the technical support is shown there and is not a fine thing. Being Newtek an big company, maybe this fail is an accident but is too bad receive this kind of answer. Of course, its trully registered, I mean Iīm telling you the truth about that.
Being things like that what more can I do? Just canīt get to even know LW because I can only know a 3D software after modeling in it. I donīt like to render clipart and "play" witu the the program. Iīm just stopped in Modeler although I can feel its power and know exactly how to use it if I only have an image to the backdrop.
Thank you.
Nelson

UnCommonGrafx
06-10-2006, 08:07 AM
Ahhh, Got it!

You are saying that a representative that Gil sent you to, http://www.grupocvc.com, is not being responsive to your queries? You are in Brazil and the Brazil contact for NewTek isn't following up on your need for support??

Nelson, I have to admit that at this juncture you will be hard pressed to get many to go along with the path you've set about of complaint. Most would rather know how to help YOU as opposed to how to get on a train of complaint. We are mostly about solutions for ourselves.

To that end, give us a bit more info. And I'll do a bit of info mining here so answer some questions for me.

In Layout, can you render? If you can render, what files are you able to save?

How do you load all of your plugins? Give us your procedure as something is surely amiss.

Answer those and 1000 or more people can help you; 5 or six may help you; one will tell you where it is in the manual. If the moon is right, 7000 or more people may look at it in a day and wonder why you can't get it right and move on to their next render.

Let us help you; give us a bit better feedback on what your needs are.

Emmanuel
06-10-2006, 08:30 AM
Unless this guy is just a troll, I guess he is using a Mac and THAT is the source of the problem ?

nelson3d
06-10-2006, 08:43 AM
Emmanuel,
this is not a constructive post, especially for a self called Defender of Mankind... Of course, I will not judge the Forum for it. I prefer to pay attention to the fine and helpful people who is trying to solve my problem, even if my claim was not as polite as it should be, due to reasons above.
By the way, as I wrote previously, I have a windows XP, so its not a mac, but I ve seen many people in the forum who uses a mac and like it very much.

Signal to Noise
06-10-2006, 08:44 AM
I made a big mistake choosing LW 8...

I'm sorry, but I think NewTek (or 3rd party reseller) made a big mistake choosing to sell LightWave to someone who obviously doesn't know how to use it. I mean, didn't you demo LW before buying it? Did you try all the image capabilities before shelling out your money? Why did you "choose" LightWave in the first place?

Although your problem can likely be fixed (with the right information and the right attitude) maybe you should stick to your "other apps" you keep mentioning. It's such a shame you spent all that money on Lw and by the sounds of it you're ready to give up.

So, I loose my confidence and will look for a sidegrade to another app and just play with LW for a while. Iīm not new to 3D and have a solid background in computer graphics. Thereīs noothing more to do with LW but leave it.

If you have a "solid background in computer graphics" then you should already know there are work-arounds (as already mentioned in this thread) until you get your main problem sorted out.

Meaty
06-10-2006, 08:44 AM
Nelson,

Sorry to hear about your problem. Displaying jpgs in openGL without crashing is a very 'regular' procedure, as far as 3d apps go. In this respect, lightwave is very stable. If you are having problems, it is almost certainly as a result of a conflict in your computer. If you have another video card hanging around, you might want to try that (be sure to completely uninstall the detonator drivers for your gf4 card).

Other than that, I am not sure what to tell you. Lightwave has its problems, but I've never heard of display issues in this manner being one of them (except with very large images).

I know this isn't what you want to hear, but you will just have to tinker with your system until it works. Good luck.

jevinstudios
06-10-2006, 08:49 AM
Nelson --

i've been using LW since 1995, and have NEVER had a jpeg problem. i use jpegs for 100% of my textures, and on heavily UV'd scenes, i use hundreds of jpegs in a scene. LW's processing of the jpeg format is excellent. i use a pc w/ win xp pro with an ati t2 graphics card. my experience with newtek's tech support has also been good -- they have never left me in the lurch when i've contacted them directly (i usually contact them via telephone). before dumping lw for another app (unless you just don't like lw and want another app anyway), work with these fine people and let them help solve your problem...

Sarford
06-10-2006, 08:55 AM
Hi Nelson,

You could try to get a fresh install of windows on a seperate drive and then reinstall Lightwave on that same drive.

Windows is a very shakey operating system. If you install and de-install lots of demo's, games programs, web-stuff and the like, this operating system gets VERY unstable.

The best solution to this is have a seperate (phisical) bootable harddrive with only windows and the apps you use and only use it for those apps. Most of the time things will keep working that way.

ps: If you gonna contact NewTek, be sure to call the US or the Europe offices. I know from my own experiance that in Europe they are top notch.

nelson3d
06-10-2006, 09:04 AM
Jevin,
I know some people in the forum feel uncomfortable with my decision to give up on an application that I choose for its merits. For sure I need LW but, of course, LW donīt needs me, I mean, one user more or less makes no difference. The opperations to include/exclude plugins is quite primary and thats not my problem. Honestly, the problem may be the graphics card but is strange, I have some 3D/2D software that never showed any of that problems.
Thank you

I am not interested in discussing wich software I will choose because I donīt have a desire to pursue any other and here is not a place to discuss it. I probably will stick with the less powerfull ones that I already have and maybe loose all the power of LW untill I find a solution to my problem, if it exists.

3dworks
06-10-2006, 09:05 AM
A very common problem

These are posts found in Someone says that never saw this kind of prolblem, but only in the threads I made I received those answers:

1 - I have had all kinds of issues with Jpeg file causing crashes. Thanks to some handy words of wisdom from these forums, I changed to PNG file and solved the crash issues.

2 - Better that you don't use JPGs with Lightwave anyway. They cause instability, and sacrifice quality too. PNG is the best format to use, and also supports 8-bit color, which can save lots of texture memory.

3 - In my experience, I only had problems with JPG files was when I was using very texture-intensive models.... because JPEGS within LW use a lot more memory compared to PNG.

4 - just tried it and Modeler crashed. A tiff on the other hand worked, seems like a plugin bug to me.

5 - An update: I changed all my image maps from JPG to PNG format and everything rendered fine

6 - LW also doesn't like JPEGs, they cause stability issues, use PNGs. They're lossless and look better anyway

7 - There was a time when it was recommended to remove the jpeg.p plugin and the qttools.p would read the jpgs, so maybe it's just the plugin, and it wouldn't surprise me if it didn't cause problems for some, but I can't think of any real advantage to jpg's anyway.

8 - just to confirm what toby is saying, yeah had crashes in layout and stopped using jpegs, and crashes went, also had crashes caused by tiffs too. now i tend to use tga or png and they work fine

My system: P4 2.6 Ghz + 1G ram. Gforce 4 WinXp latest service pack.

Thanks for the help

the only JPEG related problem i ever had was with grayscale JPG's and some indexed and 16 bit TIFF brands. but for the rest i found LW rock stable concerning the use of JPG's - and this even running on macs!

did you try to strip all unneccessary resources (like thumbnail previews) from your JPG files. just to test? maybe this could be a potential source of problems.

to use PNG is a good choice, anyway, because other 3D apps mostly support this format rather well, and - differently from JPEG - it's a lossless compressed format. personally, i still stick to the TGA format, because many of my texture resources are formatted this way for past projects with LW and i'm too lazy to convert them..

cheers and good luck!

markus

Meaty
06-10-2006, 09:22 AM
Nelson,

Obviously it is your choice and your business. Lightwave is just a product, and you can use it or not use it. But I can only assume you've posted this in a forum in order to elicit a response. In my previous response post, I offered a suggestion to help make LW work. But here I am going to have to offer a criticism of your logic.

Abandoning the software because it does not work on your computer seems like an inverted solution. It would seem to me that the proper choice would be to abandon your computer, not the software. In as much as nobody else seems to have this problem, your problem is almost certainly your computer, and not Lightwave.

As for your thought that -Other programs work on my computer, therefore Lightwave should is faulty. Just because notepad or photoshop opens is absolutely no indication of how LW will work. Different programs use different resources and employ different procedures. This is a classic error of induction.

Finally, your comment on how it is 'primary' to have to load plugins. I agree; however, when you make your move to another software package I promise you will be saying the exact same thing about some methods employed by that package. Each package has its own quirks.

If you like Lightwave, ditch your computer, as it seems to be the obvious culprit.

nelson3d
06-10-2006, 09:24 AM
Hey Sarford,
your advice is very intelligent and I will use it as soon as I can. In fact, I avoid install and uninstall lots of demo's, games programs, web-stuff for that reason. Not even a demo of LW I installed before I bought it.
After the bad experience I had with that Gil thing in the Newtek support, I think Iīll never call them again. I must repeat that Iīve never seen that kind of support even in small companies. Newtekīs support seems to be very bad, and itīs not an accident: itīs cheapper leaving all their work to the forum members.
Thank you

moc
06-10-2006, 09:36 AM
Hey....
I had this problem at a LW6.5 run on a mac.....a few year ago.....

and I found a solution to solve it...
You can try at PC/mac...

Look at the following pic...
I used a notepad to open the LW8.cfg(Driver X:Documents and Settings/administrator/LW8.CFG)
The green light block showed a normal and standard situation...
If you missing them...
You can type by yourself...
or copy & paste the followings...

FileType Images *.iff;*.jpg;*.tga;*.rla;*.als;*.bmp;*.cin;*.pcx;*. pct;*.png;*.psd;*.hdr;*.rgb;*.ras;*.tif;*.vpb;*.yu v;*.flx

....After that ......becare to save the cfg....

nelson3d
06-10-2006, 09:43 AM
"nobody else seems to have this problem" its not true.
"I can only assume you've posted this in a forum in order to elicit a response" Not true
" It would seem to me that the proper choice would be to abandon your computer, not the software" maybe, not very likely, but deserves a test
" Just because notepad or photoshop opens is absolutely no indication of how LW will work" I will not discuss and name other apps here but Iīm not refering to notepad or photoshop (dont own it), but to serious 3D software, similar but inferior to LW, so is not true again
"Each package has its own quirks" True, but up to now I can alway find a workaround, not finding it to LW
Finnaly, I know this question involves more passion than reason but Iīm not trying to disregard LW (I choose it, remember? And I knew what I was doing). The problem begins with the manual, the tech support and even with the mastodonic books that, although they deal with a lot of silly things when it comes to be helpfull and clear, they just slip away. About the books, one more thing: if I could put LW to work, I could use it in an intelligent way, very differently to some "big" books that have a lot of words and very few "real world" information. Itīs very strange, but what really counts is that the LW comunity in the the web makes all the diference: is where the real world comes to life, where peolple talk about how to really use the app. The books are just for fun....

moc
06-10-2006, 09:57 AM
I didn't know this solution works or not....
but what is you os system?
You can open the cfg by you own text editor......
notepad was the native window's software....
and mac user .....you got your own........text editor....can do this....
that's all.....

jevinstudios
06-10-2006, 10:53 AM
have you tried uninstalling your graphics card drivers & reinstalling the latest driver for your card? if you are running newer versions of lw on a system with old graphics drivers, that may be part of the problem. then, trash your prefs for lw and re-start the app with default settings.

many performance issues in hi-end apps can be linked to the graphics card; might want to invest in a top-of-the line card like the latest generation of nvidia quadro or ati firegl cards. i personally avoid the consumer gaming cards, as they're geared more for running opengl in a game environment, and not for supporting opengl for dcc.

pauland
06-10-2006, 10:58 AM
Nelson3D,

Build a simple test case to show the problem, say exactly what happens when the problem occurs, then post the files here so other people can try and reproduce it. then maybe you will be able to understand that perhaps it's not a common problem and people may suggest things to get around that particular problem and therefore possibly all the problems that you're having.

Just because you're having a unhappy experience with one call to tech support, you give up? Well that's very poor on your part - talk to them until you get the help you really need.

This forum is porbably a better resource than tech support, but that's not a bad reflection on Newtek, just a good reflection on LW users.

Paul

Lord Snarebotto
06-10-2006, 11:06 AM
I think Lightwave should uninstall you. :P

mav3rick
06-10-2006, 11:23 AM
darth mole

u re welcome

tischbein3
06-10-2006, 11:35 AM
nelson,

if you go into the "edit plugins" menue how many plugins are listed under the
image I/O section ?

nelson3d
06-10-2006, 01:51 PM
Hey, Tischbein3,
thatīs a very interesting question. Maybe it reveals something. I have lots of plug ins in "IMAGE I/O", like one called "LW_JPEG(.jpg)" that is classified as a "Image Saver" Type but have nothing listed as a jpeg "image loader" Type . Is that what you want to know?
Thank you
Nelson

Exception
06-10-2006, 02:02 PM
Nelson,

Let's stick to solving this issue okay? I have responded to your original call for help, with sound advice, and never got a response. So I suggest you try to solve the problem before passing judgement, because you are having an UNCOMMON problem that can probably be EASILY resolved if you just give us the information we ask you to supply, so we can help you.
As for LW having trouble with JPEGS, I read those comments you have read, and these are from professionals who work with huge render farms and scenes. They have good reasons to not choose JPEG as their image format, because JPEG can be unstable IN ALL COMPUTER PROGRAMS, not just lightwave, in addition to using more memory and losing quality.

Now... there are three possible options that could cause your problem. Please listen carefully:

1) Your in/export plugins are not loaded. As you said the LW plugin list is shwoing the image SAVER but not the image LOADER. Actually, this is THE SAME file (like "jpeg.p")... Please look at the screen shot I supplied. Your list should look like that. If it doesn't, the problem is CLEAR. The plugins are NOT loaded. There will be much more stuff that doesn't work in Lightwave when this is the case.

2) The plugins are loaded, but the file mask just doesnt show the images when loading. This is an easy fix in the text file as shown above, and you can force Lw to load the image anyway by typing '*.*' in the file requester field, then everything will show up and you can load it fine

3) Your files are corrupted. We can confirm this if you check the file size of some of the plugins and report them to us. We can then check to see if they are changed (like jpeg.p for example).

Your claim that LW does not load any other file formats than TGA is simply out of the question. Lightwave supports at least the following file formats:

Cineon, RLA, IFF, Tiff, TGA, BMP, JPG, ALS, PCX, PNG, PGA, PSD, SGI, RAS, VPB, YUV, RGB, HDR, FLX, TiffLog

That's more file formats than I can even name in any given day, and more than ANY program I have EVER known (which is a lot).

tischbein3
06-10-2006, 02:05 PM
Yes, but because saver and loader are paractically the same plugin file
it seems your plugin config file is broken. (LWEXT8.cfg)

(Under win its under c:\Documents and Settings/username/)

close lightwave (and hub)
delete the lwext8.cfg file
relaunch lw and
rescan the plugin directory.

this should do the job.

cresshead
06-10-2006, 02:16 PM
i've seen this all before!
[aah the good old days of teaching in nottingham colleges!]

when i used to run lightwave 8 at a nottingham college....
on all of their pc's......:devil:

i wanted them to see/experience lw8 even though there was no demo version available...

i took in my installed version of lightwave from home to college...just copied my lightwave folder from my home pc onto my usb key and then copied it to each college pc...

EVERYTIME we used this version of the lightwave install it failed to 'see' any image format other than TGA...i had to scan the plugin directory every time we booted up the lightwave [ran in discovery mode..no dongle]...

so...could be something to do with his install...or his pc...or the network if he has one.

Skonk
06-10-2006, 02:34 PM
Neither I nor any of my friends or students who use lightwave have every had problems with any of the image formats lightwave supports. Personally i use TGA's because its a format i like but jpeg is the most common format i see used and iv never seen any problems with using them.

EDIT: I havn't read all the posts here so this could have been said but, i really do hope this isn't a case of simply not being able to see jpeg images in the open file dialog box, because if it is then its just a case of typing "*.jpg" or "*.*" into the box and pressing enter. The file filters used in the open and save box's are in the lightwave config files but not all the image formats it can use are listed in there. Change it to display "All Files" and you see all the files.

nelson3d
06-10-2006, 03:05 PM
Nelson,

Itīs true: JPEG is very bad, I was using it just as an example.... Not even a PNG could be loaded and it, too, is not a the file I use most. But, if everything is working, they should load with no problems.

About the 3 possibilities, lets go:

1) Please look at the screen shot I supplied. Your list should look like that. If it doesn't, the problem is CLEAR. The plugins are NOT loaded. There will be much more stuff that doesn't work in Lightwave when this is the case.

You sent me a list of 40 plugins and, in the same place, I have 49 plugins but donīt have a plugin named "Image Maker", the file is visor.p. Think I have all the others.

2) The plugins are loaded, but the file mask just doesnt show the images when loading. This is an easy fix in the text file as shown above, and you can force Lw to load the image anyway by typing '*.*' in the file requester field, then everything will show up and you can load it fine

This means I have to configure the LW8.cfg file in notepad like in MOCīs reply? Is it enough? Iīll try it.

3) Your files are corrupted. We can confirm this if you check the file size of some of the plugins and report them to us. We can then check to see if they are changed (like jpeg.p for example).

jpeg.p = 152 KB;
tga.p = 40 KB;
tiff.p = 324 KB

4 - Your claim that LW does not load any other file formats than TGA is simply out of the question. Lightwave supports at least the following file formats.....

I know it. I see it everywhere, in books, magazines, the web. I just canīt use any other than tga (hope it doesnīt dissapear....).

In (C:/Documents and Settings/administrator/ there are several files: LWHUB8.CFG, LWEXT8.CFG, lwpc_edgebevel.cfg, BandSaw.cfg, LWM8.CFG and LW8.CFG, the one you told me to edit.

Is it?

Thank you

Elmar Moelzer
06-10-2006, 03:15 PM
Cresshead, If you copied that installation from a CD, it might most likely be that some files are write protected...
CU
Elmar

tischbein3
06-10-2006, 03:32 PM
jpeg.p = 152 KB;
tga.p = 40 KB;
tiff.p = 324 KB

We are getting close to the problem
These are the file sizes of the 7.5 plugins
8.x plugin sizes are slightly bigger

In (C:/Documents and Settings/administrator/

If there is no other C:/Documents and Settings/xxx/LWEXT8.cfg
this is it. But surely the above problem (wrong plugins) must be solved too.

cresshead
06-10-2006, 04:02 PM
maybe i didn't make my point crystal clear....i copied my INSTALLED lightwave folder from my c drive onto a usb key..as i didn;t have admin rights on the college pc's so i could not 'install' any apps...i simply copied the folder from my usb key to the college pc HD's...

just trying to show that this thing can come up what the chap is on about if you do not install the app correctly or the install goes wrong..

quote:>
4 - Your claim that LW does not load any other file formats than TGA is simply out of the question. Lightwave supports at least the following file formats.....END quote:<

re read my reply...you have the answer if you would only read it!...re install your lightwave app...and make sure you have a proper installer rights [admin]

this shouldn't take 4 pages to get resolved..it's a simple install gone wrong...delete your install and do it again.

romrom74
06-10-2006, 04:15 PM
am I dreaming ?... what's this all about? please do you yourself a favor, take 1 hour or your time, format your disk, do a fresh install and everything should be right

cresshead
06-10-2006, 04:20 PM
trying to 'fix' a corrupted install is a waste of time...delete it and do again...this looks more like a cdrom error/download zip error or a hard drive/permissions error....nothing more..nothing less.

lightwave is fine...always has been!

nelson3d
06-10-2006, 05:31 PM
I donīt understand.... Should I uninstall and reinstall LW or should I radicalize and format the whole HD, wich is very difficult to do and will be the last resource?
Thanks
Nelson

pauland
06-10-2006, 05:35 PM
I donīt understand.... Should I uninstall and reinstall LW or should I radicalize and format the whole HD, wich is very difficult to do and will be the last resource?
Thanks
Nelson

You could go for the easier option first.. eh?

tischbein3
06-10-2006, 05:36 PM
hd format should be considered AT LAST

best thing to do:
-Uninstall lightwave
-remove the config files (LWxxx.cfg)
-reinstall lightwave

Exception
06-10-2006, 09:32 PM
If you have all of those plugins I showed in my screenshot (obviously there are more, but you have the loader and the saver.. so it should work), then it should work. If the file masks are just wrong then just try loading them as I said, type *.* instead of a file name when loading and it will show all files. Does that work?

But, if your filesizes are different, you seem to have corrupted files. This indicates a much larger problem, because at what point did your data become corrupted? Is your harddrive broken? Is the cd broken you got it from? Do you have a virus? Something is going on, and it has nothing to do with Lightwave.

In any case, uninstall LW, delete all those .cfg files, and reinstall.
Arn't you happy Lightwave is such a great program that you dont have to go into the registry?

jevinstudios
06-10-2006, 11:25 PM
are you using a cracked version?

monfoodoo
06-10-2006, 11:49 PM
If you uninstall LW and restart , delete all leftover files,run "Ace Utilities"(clean system Registry)to delete any registry entries,Before reinstall.
www.acelogix.com

faulknermano
06-11-2006, 12:40 AM
Nelson --

i've been using LW since 1995, and have NEVER had a jpeg problem. .

i thought i never had a jpeg problem too until someone pointed out that certain layout crashes can be attributed to them. after i stopped using jpegs, layout did perform very well. selective observation? maybe. :) but i could've sworn layout's not crashing in flames as often as it did before.

however, i only use PSDs, TGA, and SGI formats. i'd like to use PNGs sometime though, since i've heard nothing but good stuff about them.

as for the general file format blues: i think LW has a very stable PSD file format system, which is great, since i do a lot of editing in Photoshop as it is.

nelson3d
06-11-2006, 08:04 AM
jevinstudios: "are you using a cracked version?"
Isnīt it a crime? I am using only the installation am allowed to, the one that ships in the cdīs in the package.

There are no viruses in the machine, I use an always updated antivirus (AVG) and never carry to the PC any suspect files. The hard disk is fine, so are the CDīs with the program.

"Ain't you happy Lightwave is such a great program that you dont have to go into the registry"?

How can I say that? I bought a dream program and, after months of trying to use it I begin thinking itīs "unusable" because my installation has a problem and nobody in Newtek Support wants to help. Not only Mr. Gil, but I made other contact that wasnīt even answered. I was not asking them how to model a head or how to create a landscape in LW. No, its my problem not their... I was asking "How can I make the installation of YOUR software works in a system where other programs function normally? No answer!!!!!!
Letīs try the forums. Several threads on the same subject, several advices, all tried, all failled.... Conclusion: I have the fasted racing car in the world but when I put the key on, it doesnīt starts.... The fuel is there and I know how to drive, but.... Fine, eh? So, my decepction. I canīt say LW is bad: I donīt even taste it.... I can say that the support from Newtek is BAD, no doubt about it: that team is not deserving be side to side with the team of programers, the real reason to everyone buy LW. Those guys are the best. Even not using the program, in the books, in the web and in the amazing videos Newtek shows in itīs site are more than enough to show how right I was when I choose LW. Wish I could use it....
Finnally, is very sad to see some silly people feeling offended because I made just and necessary critics to that situation. Would they prefer that I just throw the box with the program in the garbage, uninstall the software and just let go?????? They think that Newtek (a company, not a person) can never suffer criticism, even with a behaviour like the one I told? WHAT WOULD THEY DO IN MY PLACE?

Coming back again: thanks to everybody whoīs trying to help me solve the problem. Uninstall a software in windows means some care in elliminating all the files installed, take some time and I will do it quickly.
Thanks to all.
Nelson

Matt
06-11-2006, 08:12 AM
Don't understand this, LW can load a number of the most popular file formats, all without error, not exactly sure what the problem is.

Never had any issues with NT tech support either!

androidmaker
06-11-2006, 08:51 AM
Please forgive me if I am wrong, I am only trying to help. Ok let’s see if we got what you are trying to do ok? You want to open a backdrop image in modeler. You open your display options go to the backdrop tab and click the image dropdown box so you can load an image. When you get the list of files you can open you can see all of them but you can only load the .TGA files right? I recreated this by unloading all of my plugins. I know that you have probably already tried this but go to the utilities tab and click on the edit plugins. Click the add plug-ins button, navigate to the lightwave[8] directory and then the plugins directory, then the input-output directory. Click on the jpeg.p file and open it. You should get the box saying 2 plug-ins found in 1 file, click ok and then click done then try to load a .JPG file. I hope this helps

nelson3d
06-11-2006, 08:58 AM
Androidmaker: When you get the list of files you can open you can see all of them but you can only load the .TGA files right?
Wrong: I can only see tga files there, nothing more. But, thank you for your attention.

Exception
06-11-2006, 09:14 AM
Dude, I have tried to help you, systematically. You just keep complaining about things that are not important right now. Do you want you lw fixed or not? stick to the issue!
You have received 5 pages of solid advice from the Lightwave community. You have no reason to complain. I wish I was that lucky most of the time!

I am still not sure but you seem to have corrupted files. Are you surprised it doesn't work?
Do the reinstall, it will take you like, 10 minutes? Make sure the file sizes are correct (see attachment).
If they are, did you try the file mask thing I told you? Just because the images don't show up when you try to load them doesn't mean it cannot load them.

bluerider
06-11-2006, 09:33 AM
I give up on LW.... Like too many more users in this forum I simply canīt use any image file format other than tga (a big and heavy format...). I defy anybody to tell me wich application (even freeware) that canīt handle other image file formats. I know LW has lots of features and thatīs why I choose it but is unacceptable that I canīt find a way to use simple images in the program. If I ever dreamed it could happen... Many people in those forums were kind enough to try to help me and I thank you all, but everything has a limit. For sure Iīll stick with LW8, using only tgaīs but I loose something that is very important: confidence! If the program had those problems, the least that anybody could expect is that the manual or the site shows a good and clear explanation of how to solve it. Nothing... So, I loose my confidence and will look for a sidegrade to another app and just play with LW for a while. Iīm not new to 3D and have a solid background in computer graphics. Thereīs noothing more to do with LW but leave it.

I'd load plugins, this should help with your angst. :)

nelson3d
06-11-2006, 09:35 AM
"I have tried to help you, systematically. You just keep complaining about things that are not important right now. Do you want you lw fixed or not? stick to the issue!
You have received 5 pages of solid advice from the Lightwave community. You have no reason to complain. I wish I was that lucky most of the time!"

I recognize the extremely helpfull advices from you and all the others in the forum. Thatīs my last chance to solve the problem, my only help and I wish to thank you, again.

"Just because the images don't show up when you try to load them doesn't mean it cannot load them".
I think thatīs not the problem. Look at the image: only tgaīs appears, I had no choice, but tga...

tischbein3
06-11-2006, 09:49 AM
Filesize still the same as before ?

Lightwolf
06-11-2006, 10:14 AM
"Just because the images don't show up when you try to load them doesn't mean it cannot load them".
I think thatīs not the problem. Look at the image: only tgaīs appears, I had no choice, but tga...
O.k., try this:

Go to the Options (press O in either Layout or Modeler), make sure the "File Dialog" Setting is at default (you seem to be using the VBFileRequester).
Now if you load an image, you will see the standard windows file requester.

Go to the bottom, change "Files of Type: Images" to "All Files", and you should be able to view any kind of files, not just TGA.

Select any image and it should load.

Cheers,
Mike

Emmanuel
06-11-2006, 10:58 AM
I second that.My guess is that the VB Filerequester is the problem.
Its got its own line in the configs, right ?

nelson3d
06-11-2006, 11:54 AM
Well, Mike and Emmanuel bring something new and simpler, so Iīll give it a try just before uninstalling LW, as soon as a understand what to do:

1 - "Go to the Options (press O in either Layout or Modeler)"

OK, done, opens the General Options dialog

2 - make sure the "File Dialog" Setting is at default (you seem to be using the General Options dialog VBFileRequester)."

2a - What is "File Dialog" Setting at default"? Thereīs no "File Dialog" Setting in the General Options dialog unless itīs the Content Directory wich shows "C:\Arquivos de programas\LightWave [8]\" meaning "Arquivos de programas" the "Program files" in english.

2b - What is the "VB Filerequester"?

Thank you very much
Nelson

Exception
06-11-2006, 11:56 AM
How cool would it be if someone wrote a file requester with the last used folders on the top, or some other custom folders, and one that actually opens in the content directory and such... I never really understood why one would use the VB file requester anyway, its alphabetization is all messed up.

Emmanuel
06-11-2006, 12:02 PM
Well, Mike and Emmanuel bring something new and simpler, so Iīll give it a try just before uninstalling LW, as soon as a understand what to do:

2 - make sure the "File Dialog" Setting is at default (you seem to be using the General Options dialog VBFileRequester)."

2a - What is "File Dialog" Setting at default"? Thereīs no "File Dialog" Setting in the General Options dialog unless itīs the Content Directory wich shows "C:\Arquivos de programas\LightWave [8]\" meaning "Arquivos de programas" the "Program files" in english.

2b - What is the "VB Filerequester"?

Thank you very much
Nelson

In your general options, You will find "Input Device" mouse/tablet, and under that You find the "File Dialog" options.
Click and hold on the button that has a little black triangle pointing down,
and You will have the option between VB FileRequester or Default.
Yours is set to VB FileRequester, so set it to "Default", which is the standard windows file dialog.

nelson3d
06-11-2006, 12:15 PM
Exception,
Excuse me but I donīt understood that post:
"How cool would it be if someone wrote a file requester with the last used folders on the top, or some other custom folders, and one that actually opens in the content directory and such... I never really understood why one would use the VB file requester anyway, its alphabetization is all messed up".

I know what is a filerequester (of course) and VB refers to visual basic an good old programing language that I used sometimes, long long time ago....

Anyway, Iīll go on and uninstall/reinstall LW like stated before

Lightwolf
06-11-2006, 12:24 PM
Actually, this was mentioned before at least once. However, we weren't aware that you're using the VBFileRequester.

Oops, sorry, in Modeler it is "d". In Layouts it's 'o'

Cheers,
Mike

Lightwolf
06-11-2006, 12:25 PM
I know what is a filerequester (of course) and VB refers to visual basic an good old programing language that I used sometimes, long long time ago....
In this case VB refers to Visual Browser or something like that... and is totally unrelated to the MS programming language...

Cheers,
Mike

nelson3d
06-11-2006, 12:39 PM
I tried to access the "Options" in Modeler, just like Mike told me to do in his first post: "press O in either Layout or Modeler" but only in Layout I could find the "File Dialog" Setting, cause it doesnīt appear in Modeler, so my questions.

But, following his instructions and the ones from Emmanuel, I changed the file requester from VB to default ( I never told LW to use the VB filerequester, I donīt even remember to see this option before and I never do something in the configuration of a 3D software just to see what happens)...

In the default file requester, seems that everything is allright, every file format in the world is recognized and loaded.

Is my problem solved? Iīll make tests just to be sure it is and post the results here.

I must repeat that I appreciatte to much the efforts that everybody in the forum give to solve my problem and repeat again that the technical support from Newtek is like nothing to me, in my particular case. One thing is the result of the work of LW programers, wich is awarded everywhere, the other is the support given by the company. Itīs not fair.

Thanks to everybody.

Nelson

Lightwolf
06-11-2006, 12:46 PM
I tried to access the "Options" in Modeler, just like Mike told me to do in his first post: "press O in either Layout or Modeler" but only in Layout I could find the "File Dialog" Setting, cause it doesnīt appear in Modeler, so my questions.
There are two sets of preferences dialogs in Modeler, either accessed by d or o.
In Layout they are a bit more consolidated.

In the default file requester, seems that everything is allright, every file format in the world is recognized and loaded.

Cool ! :D

I must repeat that I appreciatte to much the efforts that everybody in the forum give to solve my problem and repeat again that the technical support from Newtek is like nothing to me, in my particular case.
I'm not sure from your posts if it is NTs fault, or their reseller in your area. Whatever, sometimes something simple can be hard to find, especially if not all relevant information is given (like in this case).
Please note that I'm not blaming you... good support should ask you the right questions, just like we did to (finally) find out what the problem is.

But hey, we got from re-installing everything, including formatting your HD to just changing one setting to get it to work, not bad ;)

Cheers,
Mike

Emmanuel
06-11-2006, 12:51 PM
Is this the longest hand-holding-thread in LW history or what.
Still we don't know what happened or why.

Lightwolf
06-11-2006, 12:56 PM
Is this the longest hand-holding-thread in LW history or what.
Lol, yeah, sounds like it...

Still we don't know what happened or why.
Could it be that the VBFileRequester is the default for some installations?

Cheers,
Mike

Signal to Noise
06-11-2006, 01:09 PM
...Still we don't know what happened or why.

It was a simple case of a short-circuit between the chair and the keyboard. ;)

So...nelson3D, are you still disappointed with your LW purchase? In the future I'd suggest using thread titles of a less negative nature in order to get helpful responses. After all, you are part of the LW community. :)

Puguglybonehead
06-11-2006, 01:20 PM
Well, this thread sorted out my image format problems very easily. Thanks to all. A simple re-scan of the plugin directory solved it for me.

Hipcheck
06-11-2006, 01:23 PM
It was a simple case of a short-circuit between the chair and the keyboard. ;)

So...nelson3D, are you still disappointed with your LW purchase? In the future I'd suggest using thread titles of a less negative nature in order to get helpful responses. After all, you are part of the LW community. :)

PEBKAC .. Problem Exists Between Keyboard And Chair ...

i dunno about that... 6 pages of help came from that negative thread title...

So whats the verdict? Is it fixed or no?

Verlon
06-11-2006, 02:03 PM
I use jpegs almost exclusively for texturing and have never had an issue that wasn't.....further down the USB chain than the keyboard :)

I have been not having this issue since LW5. I am still not having this issue in LW9 RC2. I have never read a post before that indicates I should only use TGA in LW, or that JPG's cause crashes.

I cannot bbelive this is a lightwave issue. So its something on your system, unique (or nearly so) to your system. It is now a matter of simply finding this gremlin and killing it.

Verlon
06-11-2006, 02:06 PM
pfft....guess I should have read the last page before posting

nelson3d
06-11-2006, 02:46 PM
"It was a simple case of a short-circuit between the chair and the keyboard".
Good judgement dear "Sinal to Noize". Shows that youīre good for judging people but not so good in giving the solution.... Everyone is just the whole thing he is, no more, no less....

"So...nelson3D, are you still disappointed with your LW purchase"?
How can I tell you? I can say that I am satisfied with the solidarity of the LW comunity in the forum. Almost everybody here moved efforts to try to help me solve this thing. Itīs a big thing. Think about it, dear "Sinal to Noise". To think is good. What is not good is someone buy a software, give it a default installation and when try to do most basic operation.... it doesnīt work.... In fact, itīs something that may happen. But when you realize that thereīs nobody in the company to give any help, what solution remains? In my case, after too many posts in ther forums asking how to fix it, I begin to see that I was having more problems than I was interest to have just to use a program, even LW, that donīt needs my opinion to be qualified, it is, in fact, awarded, always and everywhere. This is the result of the work of the programers e their staff. Happens that my problerm was with another team: support.

"In the future I'd suggest using thread titles of a less negative nature in order to get helpful responses. After all, you are part of the LW community"
In the future I suggest you to learn how to deal with criticism and ubnnderstand, like the majority of the people in this forum that paid attention in the problem and not in the title. This title was just what was always doing and I wanted to registrate it in the forum. After all, Iīm a part of the LW community.

nelson3d
06-11-2006, 02:52 PM
Mike:

"But hey, we got from re-installing everything, including formatting your HD to just changing one setting to get it to work, not bad"

There will be a long road until I even think about formating my HD. Not so long until I uninstall/reinstall LW, but after a while I begin thinking that the most perfect sollution was coming.
Thank you all.

creativecontrol
06-11-2006, 04:20 PM
Try this if you haven't already. Go to utilities in layout, under Plugins, select Edit Plugins. Once the window pops up select Scan Directory. Point it to the directory that has all your plugins and hit OK. It should grab them all including the image translators.:)

Lightwolf
06-11-2006, 04:41 PM
There will be a long road until I even think about formating my HD. Not so long until I uninstall/reinstall LW, but after a while I begin thinking that the most perfect sollution was coming.
Thank you all.
It sometimes just takes a bit of patience... on both sides ;)
I'm happy to see you got it to work!

Cheers,
Mike

Bog
06-11-2006, 05:01 PM
So... did it get fixed? Last time I read this thread I was wondering if his LW config files were out of nelson3d's ownership or something.

Lightwolf
06-11-2006, 05:06 PM
So... did it get fixed? Last time I read this thread I was wondering if his LW config files were out of nelson3d's ownership or something.
It seems he had the VBFileRequester set as the default, which in turn only displays the images that are defined in the LW config (and the vanilla LW config he uses apparently only has a few listed).
If he uses the standard windows file requester, and he can switch to view "All Files", and load any image.

Everything seems to be in working order now, I still think the config needs to be fixed for him.

Cheers,
Mike

nelson3d
06-11-2006, 06:11 PM
Mike:

1 - It seems he had the VBFileRequester set as the default, which in turn only displays the images that are defined in the LW config (and the vanilla LW config he uses apparently only has a few listed).

Thatīs right, the LW config is not all that right still. But, this I can fix or in a notepad or uninstalling/reinstalling LW. What was difficult to see is that a file requester, in case, the VB (no Visual Basic here, but it coulld be...) simply have problems. The only way for me to know it was in a trial and error basis switch every single configuration in the program. Thanks to you and to all the others in the forum.

2 - If he uses the standard windows file requester, and he can switch to view "All Files", and load any image.

OK!

3 - Everything seems to be in working order now, I still think the config needs to be fixed for him.

Me too.

Lightwolf
06-12-2006, 02:10 AM
3 - Everything seems to be in working order now, I still think the config needs to be fixed for him.

Me too.
Well, o.k. let's do it then:

In "Documents and Settings/<your_user_name>" locate the lwm8.cfg and lw8.cfg files. (they are named differently for different versions of LW, but I assume you are using the 32bit version of LW 8.x).

Open them in a text editor.

Look for the line that starts with:
FileType Images ...

Replace that line with:

FileType Images *.iff;*.jpg;*.tga;*.rla;*.als;*.bmp;*.cin;*.pcx;*. pct;*.png;*.psd;*.hdr;*.rgb;*.ras;*.tif;*.vpb;*.yu v;*.flx
Both in the lw8.cfg (Layout) and lwm8.fcg (Modeler).
Now the image file requesters will show any file with those extensions as an image file.

Cheers,
Mike
P.S. other names for the config files: lw8-64.cfg and lwm8-64.cfg for the 64bit version of LW 8.x

Emmanuel
06-12-2006, 05:29 AM
Oh boy, we are so gooood, aren't we ?:king:

Kuzey
06-12-2006, 06:15 AM
That's good news!!

Kuzey

nelson3d
06-12-2006, 06:37 AM
Mike, you reach the point: thats what I found in the FileType line in the config:

FileType Images .flx;*.iff;*.tga.

Thatīs why only tgaīs appeared (I donīt have images in iff and donīt remember seeing .flx anywhere).

So, thank you, very much and letīs get to know Modeler and, later, Layout. The front door of a 3D program, for me, is always the modeler. Clipart, only as a subsidiary resource and rendering and animation are the fun part of all.

Emmanuel,
"Oh boy, we are so gooood, aren't we ?"

Yes, you are. Really good, fine, helpul. Thank you all.

Nelson

lede
06-12-2006, 10:13 AM
I think this is the longest help thread I've read. But its good they found your problem and was able to get you a simple solution.

Good luck with your exploration of LightWave and hope you start to have a better expereince than what its been so far. You might want to contact NewTek about their support personel not being so helpful so that this issue can get resolved and their support line firmed up for other new users so their expereince isn't has horible as yours has been.

Happy LightWaving

-Lee

nelson3d
06-12-2006, 11:37 AM
Hey Lee,

"Good luck with your exploration of LightWave and hope you start to have a better expereince than what its been so far."

Thank you. I bet it will be fine.

"You might want to contact NewTek about their support personel not being so helpful so that this issue can get resolved and their support line firmed up for other new users so their expereince isn't has horible as yours has been".

Lee, I donīt think I should, after all you saw in this thread, try to contact again the support in Newtek. At this point, I must separete Newtekīs LW from Newtekīs support: these are different issues, donīt belong to the same world. Have my reasons for that...

But, there is a good amount of fine, helpful people in the forum (wich is manteined by Newtek, for sure) and with those resources should we go on. And here we are.

Happy LightWaving to you too
Nelson

nelson3d
06-12-2006, 07:18 PM
FEBRUARY:
02/10/2006
Backdrop File Format problem (General Support)
Hello,
I'm trying to use an .jpg image as a backdrop, but when try the Load image in the Backdrop panel of the Display Options, it doesn' t opens that kind of image. It only sees tga images.
What s happening? I don' t understand....

JUNE!!!!
06/03/2006 (General Support)
image file problem
I canīt use any jpeg image neither as a backdrop or texture in Modeler or Layout. The input output folder in the plugins directory really have a jpeg.p file along with a png.p file. LW opens a png file and canīt read a jpeg file. I never saw an application running in Windows XP that canīt see jpeg files and, for sure LW is not that one. So, whats wrong?
Thanks for any help.

backdrop file format not oppening (LW - Community)
I canīt use any jpeg image neither as a backdrop or texture in Modeler or Layout. The input output folder in the plugins directory really have a jpeg.p file along with a png.p file. LW opens a png file and canīt read a jpeg file. I never saw an application running in Windows XP that canīt see jpeg files and, for sure LW is not that one. So, whats wrong?
Thanks for any help.

Someone wrote:
"This is the third thread I found on your problem. I know you are discouraged, but placing multiple threads won't help".

JPEG files again LW - General Techniques, Tips & Tricks
Thanks for any help.

ANALISYS:
From August 2005 to june 2006: no use for LW - unbeareble!

06/10/2006
I made a big mistake....

06/12/2006
thanks to all.

Nelson

mattclary
06-13-2006, 04:59 AM
06/10/2006
I made a big mistake....

Apparently, it wasn't a mistake, as the only way you were actually able to get help was by calling LightWave a piece of sh*t. On behalf of the entire community, I apologize that no one gave you more help when you were asking for it. It shames me that we are more interested in threads bashing LightWave than those asking for help.

2622 views to this thread! How many of us bothered to read his original pleas for help?

colkai
06-13-2006, 05:22 AM
I think many did, but some of it was "lost in translation".
Sometimes, you see the solution so clearly and obviously, it's easy to forget it may not be clear and obvious to the other party.
So, when you give an answer you think is both viable and easy, you forget that the steps taken may not be so clear to others.

This is one thing you see a lot in tutorials, a skipped step.
I think many knew the fault lay in either configs settings or such, but just took it for granted it was an obvious thing to check.

mattclary
06-13-2006, 05:43 AM
Yeah, going back to look at his original posts, he got plenty of responses. I retract my earlier statement. :foreheads

nelson3d
06-13-2006, 04:01 PM
"as the only way you were actually able to get help was by calling LightWave a piece of sh*t"
Mattclary,
Itīs clear in all my posts that I never refer to LightWave as a " piece of sh*t", just because ANYONE in the whole world of computer graphics that say something like that is out of his mind. Itīs not my case.
But, when I just give up using it, for the reasions already explained, the only resource I had was making this decision public in the only place I could: in the LightWave Community.
Where else?
I know what is a good peace of software and there are some in the market. I choose LightWave, back in the middle of 2005 and only now I can begin using it in itīs full power. Do you think itīs fair?

This closes this thread. (For me, of course)

Bog
06-13-2006, 04:32 PM
Nelson3d - much respect for changing the thread title. Good on you.

faulknermano
06-13-2006, 09:44 PM
Itīs clear in all my posts that I never refer to LightWave as a " piece of sh*t", just because ANYONE in the whole world of computer graphics that say something like that is out of his mind. Itīs not my case.

nelson3d, i think mattclary is emphasizing that people are not very helpful until they have something to gain / lose in the process, and in this case, people got "defensive" about the bad light you put lightwave in and started "helping" just to prove you were wrong.