PDA

View Full Version : How will v9 will be distributed?

jydog
06-09-2006, 02:07 PM
Has anyone seam any threads discussing how v9 will be distributed?

Such as, will physical disks be shipped? Or just download versions?

Will a printed manual be available soon?

androidmaker
06-09-2006, 02:10 PM
i am sure it will be shipped. v8 had content and extras and i think v9 will have the same stuff.

lots
06-09-2006, 02:49 PM
I'd imagine newtek would ship in much the same way it has in the passed. That is an electronic download, and some electronic pdf manual stuff, along with the availability of hard copies that will be shipped to those who ordered them.

T-Light
06-11-2006, 07:24 PM
Has to be on cd's or dvd's surely?, Those who ordered the box and full manual will get the whole deal, whereas the rest of us will recieve the cd's in a cd/dvd jewel case.

While LW itself is a managable file size, I can't see Newtek putting the 1-2 gig of content files up for download.

lunarcamel
06-11-2006, 07:38 PM
Yes DVD please not 4 CDs - 3 of which were useless - for me anyway. ;)

omeone
06-16-2006, 04:44 AM
Also.. please please include the demo videos... I have no access to them from the NT site and really want to see what's new in 9!

Bog
06-16-2006, 04:48 AM
I imagine it'll be a free electronic download, or the price of the physical media and shipping to get disks in a box, with an extra premium for a printed manual.

And then everybody and his brother will whinge about how NewTek said it was "Free" to upgrade to 9 and they want their disks free, and their cousin's aunt's brother's cat was adopted by a lawyer and so they have a deep understanding of why NewTek owes them a free lunch. Chuck's therapy will be set back six months, the programming team will turn to the bottle as their life's work is the subject of yet another tirade, and six or seven people will scream "That's it, I'm using $other_product instead!" only to re-appear here in three months time under a different username having realised how much better off they were here in the first place.

*twitch*

T-Light
06-16-2006, 05:10 AM
With 8, you paid an extra 60 or so to get the box, the manual and the cd's. those who didn't pay the extra just got the cd's.

Doesn't make any difference to me either way, it's just that those users who don't have access to a high speed connection are going to be stuffed on downloading 1Gig+ of content.

Has something been said by Newtek that this upgrade would be download only, and you have to pay extra for the disks?

Sorry, just haven't read that anywhere.

colkai
06-16-2006, 05:36 AM
...and their cousin's aunt's brother's cat was adopted by a lawyer and so they have a deep understanding of why NewTek owes them a free lunch. Chuck's therapy will be set back six months, the programming team will turn to the bottle as their life's work is the subject of yet another tirade....

ROTFLMAO - Classic, but scarily, so very very true. ;) :p

I would suggest a DVD this time rather than 4 CD's, they did rather take a battering last time. A single DVD in a 'std' CD jewel case is more protection as these slimline DVD cases always seem to either;
A) Release the DVD when you least want them to, or at the slightest provacation. Thereby ensuring the maximum chance of damage in transit or when the dog decides the shiny thing falling to the floor must surely be a new toy for him and runs off with it.

..or..

B) Refuse point blank to relinquish the DVD and as it bends to near breaking point your heart makes it's journey to your mouth. You then hunt out an old CD case, cut down the insert and try to safely transfer the serial-no sticker to the new case.

Not that either of the above has ever happened to me you understand guvnor, no sirree Bob, not me, not ever ever. :p

newtekker04
06-16-2006, 09:19 AM
Sheesh - Newtek better mail discs! I'm on dial-up because of where I live. When my 9 preorder finally arrives at my dealer, I plan on utilizing their connection to get the most recent downloadable version. However, I do not want to have to go there (40 min drive) again to download future candidates or the official release. I can handle a 10-15 meg update if need be, but not a full program like Lightwave. :thumbsdow

Dexter2999
06-16-2006, 09:32 AM
Hmm...I wonder what the cost scheme is on One blank DVD vs. Four CD's (estimate). The CD's are cheaper at the outset but then shipping charges kick in.....

I bet the numbers determine the end result.

zapper1998
06-16-2006, 09:37 AM
Yes DVD please not 4 CDs - 3 of which were useless - for me anyway. ;)

They Make great coffee cup coasters....

:thumbsup:

just ship em, OVERNIGHT AIR

ya

hrgiger
06-16-2006, 09:51 AM
If it's available, I'll take the personal delivery from Milla Jovovich option.

Bog
06-16-2006, 09:57 AM
Flocks of carrier pigeons. They were going to be carrier seagulls, but there was a legal issue.

T-Light
06-16-2006, 10:20 AM
Hand delivered by the Valkyrie if you please.

mattclary
06-16-2006, 10:53 AM
If it's available, I'll take the personal delivery from Milla Jovovich option.

Word!

Kurtis
06-16-2006, 11:03 AM
The physical package will have one CD for the installers and one DVD for content, 3rd-party samplers, and all of the LightWave v9 demo videos.

T-Light
06-16-2006, 11:05 AM
Thanking you Sir.

Bog
06-16-2006, 12:04 PM
I love the fact that the only person giving sensible answers in this thread is the dude in a straitjacket with a nervous tic. :D

colkai
06-16-2006, 12:28 PM
ROTFL
Worrying innit? :p

hrgiger
06-16-2006, 03:28 PM
I love the fact that the only person giving sensible answers in this thread is the dude in a straitjacket with a nervous tic. :D

Sensible? You don't think that Milla Jovovich is sensible? Sir, I question your sanity.

Bog
06-16-2006, 04:04 PM
Sensible? You don't think that Milla Jovovich is sensible? Sir, I question your sanity.

I'm perfectly sane.

That's what the spiders tell me, anyway.

Elowan
06-18-2006, 09:09 AM
Of course I'm out of my mind! It's scary in there!:screwy: