PDA

View Full Version : Adobe Primiere Pro 2.0 or After Effects 7.0?

Noble
06-09-2006, 09:33 AM
Hello,
I'm currently working on a lw project:lightwave which I will render out to PNGs. When complete, I want to make a DVD and export it out for viewing on the web.
My Q's:
1. Which program should I buy, Premiere or After Effects 7.0?
2. If you have used both apps, what are the strengths and weak spots of both?
3. Is there an alternate/better solution for $800.00 or less that someone would recommend?
I'm using WinXP sp2, 4Gb Ram, 300 Gb HDrive on a Intel P4.

The animations are short, under 2 minutes each, but I want to be able to export to almost anything If I need to.
Sorry for so many
Thanks for your help.

randomnumbers
06-09-2006, 09:46 AM
They are 2 very different programs with their own strengths & weaknesses.
Premiere is great for editing together lots of footage from various sources.
After effects is great for taking a piece of footage and adding effects to and post processing it. It is also widely used to generate footage.
You can use after effects as an editor and you can use premiere to add effects to a clip, but doing so is pretty clunky as you are basically bending the software beyond its original design parameters.
For what it is worth, if I had to choose between the two, I would go for after effects as I find it easier to use after effects as an editor than premiere as an effects engine.
Hope that made some kind of sense.

Of course, if you just want to turn your png sequence into a video file for the web, you can do all of that in lightwave!

SP00
06-09-2006, 10:00 AM
hmm, you should get both as they are both built to speed up workflow in each area. but if you can only get one and you don't see yourself doing a lot of composition. I would go for premiere to save you time. If on the other hand, you plan to do a lot of video special effects, then you should get after effect.

The Newtek solution would be to get Speededit and Fusion 5. You should consider those 2. I have Fusion 5 and I love it, but it cost a lot more than aftereffects. I currently use Vegas as my editor, but I can't wait for Speed Edit.

Silkrooster
06-09-2006, 03:43 PM
Hello,
3. Is there an alternate/better solution for $800.00 or less that someone would recommend?
I'm using WinXP sp2, 4Gb Ram, 300 Gb HDrive on a Intel P4.

Speed edit http://www.newtek.com/speededit/ will be out soon I beleive around $500.
For compositions and special effects another option is Mirage for about $395 http://www.bauhaussoftware.com/2D_Animation.php
Silk

Lightwolf
06-09-2006, 04:05 PM
You could also just get Vegas or Vegas Movie Studio. Not as expensive as Premiere and very capable (and to be honest, I prefer the workflow in Vegas too).

Check out the demos (of Premiere too) and see what you like best.

Cheers,
Mike

Wickster
06-09-2006, 04:11 PM
well i've used premiere more often than after effects simply because i'm more used to final cut pro and avid. if you plan on fiddling with adding background music or audio tracks to your short animations then premiere would be the one to get. you can add audio in after effects but you're very limited to what else you can do with that audio.

like waht everyone says after effects is very good at adding post effects and compositing. so if you're rendering out alphas and then do a lot of compositing then after effects is for you.

if you just need to load PNGs (non-interlaced), and export to avi for editing then may i suggest VirtualDub (http://www.virtualdub.org) it's free. :D

i'm also interested in finding more about Newtek's SpeedEdit.

mav3rick
06-09-2006, 04:53 PM
adobe premiere is editing software and it is great to export to mpeg2 direcly or to create dvd file

Snosrap
06-09-2006, 09:41 PM
You could also just get Vegas or Vegas Movie Studio. Not as expensive as Premiere and very capable (and to be honest, I prefer the workflow in Vegas too).

I'll second that. Premiere is slooooow! Vegas and Vegas Movie Studio playback effects in realtime. Sony, Adobe and others offer fully working trial software, download some and try 'em for yourself.

Cheers
Snos

Exception
06-11-2006, 09:19 AM
Premiere must be the most buggy, unstable piece of software i used in my life. All the way back to version 2 it just does NOT do what it is supposed to do. Save yourself days of nightmares and instead of Premiere Pro choose Vegas, Avid Liquid, or in a few months SpeedEdit... Honestly... premiere... *shrug*

angman
06-11-2006, 02:05 PM
Woe! Slow down there. It has its short commings and all, but Premier Pro and Premier are two entirely different programs built on two entirely different code bases.
I have used both (Premier 5 to 6 and Premier Pro 1.5 to 2) and PPro is fine from a stability point of view, and in fact as good or better than Final Cut Pro (in terms of stability - I am only talking in terms of stability) from what I have heard.

It still remains - if you are doing a lot of compositing AE is your best bet

A lot of cutting (editing) PPro or Vegas is the best bang for the buck (both of which have pretty good audio tools built in). Vegas Movie (Sony's "light" pakage) or Premier Elements (the light version of Pro) may be all that you need.

If you need to Composite (or other 2D effects) you could get AE and then either Premier Element or Vegas Movie (each only $100 or less)

-Angier

Exception
06-11-2006, 02:49 PM
angman: try this in PPro: take a clip and apply the multiply key on it. now move the clip. Voila, no more multiply.
Same goes for Screen... (in version 1, 1.5 and 2...)
That's just one of hundreds of small things which just do not work in Premiere pro. And yes, Premiere is another application, it is however, even more buggy!
Premiere Pro doesn't even allow you to swap clips... dang... ooh and it can't work well with XviD either, and oh no, its so slow!
I work with this stuff every single day and each day I wish I could smash it to pieces. But its software! I can't hurt it!

keving007
06-12-2006, 10:16 AM
Everyone has their opinion. So this is just mine:

I am an Adobe user so . . My suggestion is to try the demo versions of Premier Pro and After Effects Pro. AEpro can do almost everything that Premierpro can and you will also have powerful compositing abilities. I have not had any problems in Premier but I usually just use that for basic editing of my composites from After Effects. The kicker for me is that if you are a student, you can get the Adobe Production Studio Premium Bundle for around $675. You must be a student though.

Have fun,
kev

peter66
06-13-2006, 01:13 AM
Premiere Pro 2.0 has plenty of colour correction capabilities, its easy to use, its not annoyingly buggy and it has autosave as default anyway (its not as if Sony Vegas never crashes!).

So if its just editing together footage and compositing LW stuff, Premeire should meet ur needs :)

private
06-15-2006, 09:20 PM
i'm also interested in finding more about Newtek's SpeedEdit.

Thanks for the head's up! It looks and sounds excellent.

angman
06-15-2006, 09:36 PM
Yeah, um, I've never tried anything like that with all of the "multiply then move" stuff. Although I have been known to do a quick title screen or perhaps animate a still photo documentary style, I really just use PPro for basic cutting, transitions (mostly very simple ones), basic audio levels, and maybe some color correction.

Anything of any complexity and I composite in AE or edit the audio in Audition.

But I got the whole Adobe Video Suite at the academic price.

Someone tell me a solution - taking into acount price, power, stability, and integration that is better and I'll certainly consider it (for Compositing, Video editing, Audio, and DVD authoring together)

I still think that if (answering the original post) a person could buy just one or the other - but could scrape up an extra $100 then AE + Premier Elements or Vegas Movie would yeild the most bang for buck.

AE is more powerful, but straight cutting in it (using it as a video editor) is painful.

Angier

PS: How do I find out more about SpeedEdit?