PDA

View Full Version : MorphMixer / EndoMorph Question (Bug?)

Matt
05-30-2003, 05:58 AM
Hi Gang!

Can someone clear this up for me, Endomorphs;

You can create either relative or absolute ones, this we know is true.

You can control EndoMorphs using the MorphMixer - again true.

So how come if I create 'absolute' EndoMorphs I receive an error in Layout saying that there are no MORF type VMaps in the model?

Works perfectly with relative EndoMorphs, is this a bug? If not, then why have the absolute option if it doesn't work?

I'm using 7.5c in case anyone asks.

Cheers
Matt

bobakabob
05-30-2003, 08:46 AM
Is your model multilayered? Check the morphs you selected are in synch with the selected part of the model in Layout...

Matt
05-30-2003, 09:46 AM
nope, I created a simple box, created one absolute endomorph, and move a corner point, then created another and moved the same point in another direction.

load it into layout, bring up object properties, go to deform and try to add the morphmixer displacement plugin.

try it and see.

ursa
05-30-2003, 12:02 PM
I've seen posts on this before. i believe its a known bug with
the absolute morphs and morph mixer.

ursa

Matt
05-31-2003, 01:18 AM
:(

At least I know it's not me being daft then!

I hope they fix this in v8!

faulknermano
06-02-2003, 05:10 AM
it's not a bug. it's just that it is not supported yet.

it would be fairly simple to create an lscript to replace morph mixer in this respect, actually. it would be slower, however.

Matt
06-02-2003, 06:51 AM
Very odd, so tell me, what's the point of having the option to create absolute morph maps if it's not implemented?

ursa
06-02-2003, 07:06 AM
i guess the faithful would call that a "feature",
since it's "not a bug". lol

ursa

Dick Ma
06-02-2003, 04:48 PM
I experienced that bug.... any solutions?

faulknermano
06-02-2003, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by Matt
Very odd, so tell me, what's the point of having the option to create absolute morph maps if it's not implemented?

i dont know. remember that i exactly said the same thing, that's why i created:

http://thespread.ghostoutpost.com/EndomorphConversion.zip

a bug is something that is implemented but doesnt work as expected. in this case, morphmixer looks for MORF type vmaps (VMMORPH). absolute vmaps are called SPOT (VMSPOT). i'd personally chalk this one up a feature request. :)

faulknermano
06-02-2003, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by ursa
i guess the faithful would call that a "feature",
since it's "not a bug". lol

ursa

the majority of lw'ers in this forum will call that a 'feature request' since it's "not a bug". after all, isnt that the trend nowadays? :rolleyes:

riki
06-02-2003, 06:48 PM
Why do you want to use 'Absolute'? from memory the manual was recommending 'Relative'. Is there a specific application where it's more suitable?

lord
06-02-2003, 10:35 PM
I guess then that the general concensus is that LightWave is largely a feature request.;)

faulknermano
06-03-2003, 04:29 AM
Originally posted by lord
I guess then that the general concensus is that LightWave is largely a feature request.;)

how right you are. ;)

faulknermano
06-03-2003, 04:33 AM
Originally posted by riki
Why do you want to use 'Absolute'? from memory the manual was recommending 'Relative'. Is there a specific application where it's more suitable?

there are some applications. the first thing in my mind right now is the ability of absolute to stay where they are despite tweaking your base object. imagine you have made a morph that you like. but you then have to edit the base object while retaining the morph. you can apply an absolute vmap which will lock down that morph. then tweak your base object.

sometimes you would want to have a morph hit specific shapes.. period. relative endos get screwed up if the base object is moved or rotated.

Arnie Cachelin
06-03-2003, 09:40 AM
Only MORF type (relative) morphs are used by MorfMixer. This is intentional. Absolute vmaps are much less useful, but they can be helpful for alternate particle positions, and also, for painting in a displacement with the airbrush tool.