PDA

View Full Version : SolidWorks to Lightwave...

Imprompturob36
06-08-2006, 01:26 PM
Howdy everyone.
I just got both solidworks and lightwave...
I'm trying to export my SW designs to move in LW... but there's no direct export/import option...
CAN ANYONE HELP?
Thanks
-Robert

JamesCurtis
06-08-2006, 01:48 PM
Don't have Solidworks, but can it export to OBJ or 3DS formats? If so, you can bring objects into LW that way.

If not, you might have to look for an object conversion program such as Polytrans by Okino Software [www.okino.com I think] or some other one. Do a search at www.flay.com for Object Converters or google it. There may be some free ones available too, or ones that have demo/trial versions.

lunarcamel
06-08-2006, 01:59 PM
This is a huge pain as most people running Solidworks have no ability to export to another format.

There is a way to go from SolidWorks to WRL and then into LW - keeping all the grouping - I'm not sure offhand how to do it but I know it can be done.

MicroMouse
06-08-2006, 03:46 PM
Download AccuTrans 3D from http://www.micromouse.ca/

Export from SolidWorks to STL files.

Use the "File->Open As->StereoLithography" menu item to read the STL file into AccuTrans.

If the object in SolidWorks is made from several parts, one STL file will be exported per part. Use the "File->Multi Open" menu item to read all the STL files into AccuTrans to reassemble the object. Each STL file will be placed on its own layer.

Use the "File->Save With Options" menu item and save as a LWO file. The unit of measurement in a LWO file is meters. If millimeters were used in Solid Works, set the output scale factor to 0.001.

If you want to reduce the polygons in the mesh, use the "Tools->Reduce Polygons" menu item. For speed only read and reduce one STL file at a time. After the reduction save as a STL or LWO file. The reduction routine is not the best. Reduction results are really influenced by the shape of the object. Use the "File->Multi Open" menu item to read the reduced files.