PDA

View Full Version : Standard LW CA workflow free lesson

t4d
06-08-2006, 09:04 AM
Hi All

http://www.thomas4d.com/T4D_CA_lesson.zip

been abit of talk about IKBooster in LW lately around the here.
I'm personally not a fan of IKB due to many reasons
Honestly I prefer to animate in messiah or XSI ..

BUT wanted to to do a quick tutorial to show LW Character animation Newbie's
what the Standard LW CA workflow is ( well mine standard CA workflow anyway :hey: )

only covering 2 passes, and I jump around as many input and working method as i could think of as i worked, so keep that in mind as you watch
I would do 3 or 4 more passes mainly spending time in the graph editor to add and refine motions etc.

in the zip there are 2 html's to run 2 flash video files
( trying out Wink screen capture )

all models, rigs and scene files are also in the zip
so you can load it up and see it all for yourself and maybe do the final passes yourself !!

hope it helps all the Character animation freaks out there in some way. :thumbsup:

Thinking of doing the same animation in XSI and messiah one day
But won't post here unless people ask and I get the OK from Chuck this is a Newtek forum as we all know.:lwicon: :D

ericsmith
06-08-2006, 09:48 AM
Good stuff Thomas.

I really like the idea of showing different methods and ideas. When I was first trying to learn animation years ago, the only thing I seemed to be able to find tutorial-wise was rigging. Even when I bought videos, it seemed like they took me through rigging and basic posing, they never moved on the timeline.

I think people will find it very usefull to see the actual animation process.

Also, I would very much like to see these kind of things done in XSI and Messiah. If we can set up a structure where these various methods and software packages are being compared side by side with Lightwave on the same animation task, then I would hope Newtek wouldn't have a problem with that.

Eric

lion111
06-08-2006, 10:01 AM
COOL:thumbsup:

ericsmith
06-08-2006, 10:07 AM
By the way, one other question.

Was that real-time, or was it sped up? In some spots it looked like normal time, but in others, It looked like Data from "next generation" was at the helm.

Just curious.

Eric

t4d
06-08-2006, 10:13 AM
Yeah I'm just really FAST !!! LOL =)

No I brought up the frame Rate bit due to it gave me better compression.
Honestly I find alot of video Tutorials slow and boring
I noticed Gnomon dvd's speed up the rate abit so thinking it was a good idea.

I used wink a free flash capture app, I normally uses Camtasia.
afew bugs in wink, I'll go back to Camtasia next time...

ericsmith
06-08-2006, 11:23 AM
Yeah, I was thinking about speeding mine up a bit as well, but I wanted to show it exactly as it happened. All of this screen recording stuff is pretty new to me. I'm still trying to find the best way to present this stuff.

I'm curious about camtasia. Do you have the $40 snagit version, or the full studio? If you do have Snagit, does that compress with techsmith, and is it easy enough to stitch together multiple recording sessions?

I'd be willing to pay $40 for something that works well, and the techsmith codec seems to be the best. But $300 is more than I can justify.

Eric

T-Light
06-08-2006, 03:57 PM
There is another screen to flash recorder (many other output formats too)called bb Flashback by Blueberry software. Friend of mine gave me the software and license for doing a mini accident reconstruction for him (heck, it was fun to do). Anyway, software's pretty neat, although I've yet to get decent results with LW.

Anyone else try this?

liquidik
06-09-2006, 12:08 PM
Want to do a screencast on windows easy?

Go to sourceforge and search for Camstudio...pretty neat and powerful and saves or converts to flash directly :D

Gian

SplineGod
06-10-2006, 04:20 AM
Eric,
Theres a TON of cheap or free screen capture software. Do an online search and see what comes up. :)

liquidik
06-10-2006, 04:40 AM
http://www.camstudio.org/

It's really good, and it also has its own codec which works very well.Export to flash and you're done!

Did I mention is opensource?

Gian

MooseDog
06-10-2006, 06:29 AM
http://www.camstudio.org/

It's really good, and it also has its own codec which works very well.Export to flash and you're done!

Did I mention is opensource?

Gian

:agree:

moc
06-10-2006, 12:01 PM
T4d....
Thx...
I got the zip...