PDA

View Full Version : Pteranodon inflight

Demon
02-17-2003, 05:44 PM
this is a project i am working on.. i have made that some time ago...there is just a still as background this will be replaced in summer when i can film the environment with the trees and all...

all comments are welcome

http://www.universe-3d.com/Anims/pteranodon16best.avi

hrgiger
02-17-2003, 06:15 PM
Demon,

Not bad. It looks strange flying over a still background but I know you already know that.
The body of the dino needs more up and down motion. He needs to 'fall'slightly as he brings his wings up and then his body needs to rise as the wings beat dowward. Right now he just looks a bit stiff.

tnyplz
02-17-2003, 06:17 PM
Looks Great, my only criticism is that his speed of movement seems to be too uniform, I think he would possible speed up lightly as he flaps his wings and slow down when he swoops up and glides.
tony

robpauza
02-18-2003, 06:58 PM
Looking good. Can't wait to see more. Do you have any other dinos?

-Rob

marlo.steed
02-18-2003, 09:51 PM
This is great work. My only suggestion beyond that which has been given is to add a bit of DOF to add a sense of depth perception. Note how that woks in your photo but not in your animation - the animation needs to match up with the backdrop (I know you plan to change it anyway but something to keep in mind for the final version).

Demon
02-19-2003, 06:06 AM
thx a lot for ur comments and usefull tips...

i appriciate that and i will transpose that as soon as possible :)

thx to u all

Hiraghm
02-19-2003, 10:09 AM
I was watching Jurassic Park III the other night and they did the same thing with Pteranodons...

But I've read somewhere, and long been under the impression, that such creatures were gliders who rode thermals? More like vultures than crows.

Demon
02-21-2003, 06:14 AM
well of course i cant compete with ILM but if u remember that u needed 6 weeks to make a 30 frame anim with 20 ppl working on that.. but still the original pteranodon from ILM is still the best...

hitpawz
02-21-2003, 05:44 PM
My only gripe is no reflection in the water. You would see one for absolute sure in this case. I like the idea of using displacement to make the water move. Pretty much the only good way to make the background come to life. Other than that, the movements are just a bit smooth for my tastes. Try roughening things up and have the bird make a mistake or two. The do that in real life. They'll shift one way, sort of flutter and freak out and then go another way. Usually after I've sent a tiny metal ball whizzing past their filthy little heads.