PDA

View Full Version : Another watery question....

kiwi dave
06-08-2006, 05:39 AM
I have created a river scene with a wake from a boat, and now I'm trying to create the white foam you'd see in the wake.

I tried using hypervoxels but they look like little explosions in the water. I haven't had much experience with hv's so am I might be doing something wrong?

Or is there an easier way??

Attached is my test image, and an example of the effect I'm after. Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Dave

kruemel_1
06-08-2006, 06:01 AM
on simplylightwave.com is a tutorial for ocean texturing (free tutorials). It's only done with different layers for color and bump.

Pe6r0
06-08-2006, 11:40 AM
hey :D

HV can be quite hard to manage

One thing pops out on spot : you're using the wrong effect for the HV texture that one is MEANT for explosions

try reducing density a lot to give a not so particle effect, also and put colour and luminosity and opacity in gradients dependent on particle density :)

I posted a quick reference guide in the tips&tricks section that might be useful for you, check it out :)

Pe6r0
06-08-2006, 11:49 AM
however volume HV isnt perhaps the best way to aproach the problem, perhaps displacement maps and/or cloth dynamics coupled with a very well done tecture with loads of slope gradients? (it's know it's trickier but you do get a much more fluid effect)

kiwi dave
06-10-2006, 05:03 PM
Thanks for steering me to simply lightwave Kruemel - what a great site, and what a great ocean tutorial. I think I will be utilising some of the tricks from that tut.

And thanks Pe6ro for the reference guide pics. They're sure to be handy as I enter the strange world of hypervoxels!

Dave

toeknee
06-13-2006, 09:40 PM
Hi Dave you might also want to check out the scene typ21 this comes with Lightwave and it has exaclty what you need in it. they are animating textures to achieve your goal. In many ways this is a great scene to disect. As for the Wake part you might also want to check out Ripple_S displacement plug-in to create wakes and ripples Displacment plug-in to create wakes and ripples in Layout. Features controls like sampling rate, wave power, speed, life, frequency, sampling and the ability to drive it all from a reference object
here is the link its free and very cool http://www1.odn.ne.jp/~aaa41320/plugins/lw7/ripple_s/ripple_s.html

kiwi dave
06-14-2006, 03:38 PM
Thanks for the link toeknee. Looks like a great plugin!

Will have a play with that on the weekend and see if it can help with the job.

Dave

rakker16mm
09-24-2006, 11:23 PM
Hi Dave you might also want to check out the scene typ21 this comes with Lightwave and it has exaclty what you need in it. they are animating textures to achieve your goal. In many ways this is a great scene to disect. As for the Wake part you might also want to check out Ripple_S displacement plug-in to create wakes and ripples Displacment plug-in to create wakes and ripples in Layout. Features controls like sampling rate, wave power, speed, life, frequency, sampling and the ability to drive it all from a reference object
here is the link its free and very cool http://www1.odn.ne.jp/~aaa41320/plugins/lw7/ripple_s/ripple_s.html

This looks like a great plugin for what I am working on now, but so far I can't get it to load. I'm thinking it might be for PC only or I'm doing something wrong.

rakker16mm
09-25-2006, 12:14 AM
This looks like a great plugin for what I am working on now, but so far I can't get it to load. I'm thinking it might be for PC only or I'm doing something wrong.

A little more searching reveals an inconvenient truth... so far intel only:grumpy:

meshpig
09-25-2006, 05:48 AM
Subdivide a plane x 10, subpatch then send to Layout. Go to Ob.Prop/deform/texture displacement/textures/Ripples2.

Set the details - then page-up (mac)
and run the scene.

There are your waves depending on size and frequency!

The rest is texture blending/texture layering.

M

SplineGod
09-25-2006, 08:43 PM
This one might also be useful:
http://perso.orange.fr/dpont/plugins/textures/RainDrops.html