PDA

View Full Version : Will lightwave use the full dual 3.4 xeons when rendering?

linck82
06-07-2006, 12:55 PM
Hi guys, I am a postgrad and am now a visualiser. Lightwave is my choice of tool. I want to build a machine specificaly for lightwave. Firstly Does lightwave support dual xeon proccessors? Will it use the full dual 3.4 xeons when rendering or will it only use one proccessor?
Secondly is a one powerfull dual core proccessor better for rendering with lightwave?
I want to build the optimum lightwave rendering machine with a budget of 2000
Any help or advice would be much appreciated:help

kilvano
06-07-2006, 01:12 PM
Yes it will use all the cores.

You need to increase the threads to make ful use of it.

In terms of CPU usage, 2 x 2.8Ghz processors are better that 1 x 3.6Ghz.

I would personally go with Opterons rather than Xeons but its a preference thing and they so cost more.

Kilvano

mattclary
06-07-2006, 01:21 PM
is a one powerfull dual core proccessor better for rendering with lightwave?

The answer really depends on your budget. In my mind, "better" = render speed/$$$ One dual core processor is a great way to get economical power. Two single core processors are pretty much a waste of money, they won't be faster than dual cores, or not fast enough to warrant the extra money spent on TWO cpus and a dual cpu mobo and ECC RAM. DUAL Dual core chips (i.e 4 cores) cost $$$ but if you have $$$, they will render like a mofo. It might still be more economical to build two machines, each using a single dual core CPU and make a render farm.

The LightWave renderer is heavily multithreaded. using the radiosity box benchmark, rendered with LW 9, if I use 1 thread, it takes 35 minutes. If I use 8 threads, it takes 19 minutes. I haven't tested it yet, but at times, you can get better speed by switching to 2 or 4 threads instead of 8.

I have an AMD X2 4200+

linck82
06-07-2006, 02:58 PM
thanks for your help guys

T-Light
06-07-2006, 06:27 PM
Do'nt forget your graphics card, dual opterons won't help you much in the setup, get the most powerfull graphics card you can afford (without being silly)

mattclary
06-07-2006, 06:35 PM
Do'nt forget your graphics card, dual opterons won't help you much in the setup, get the most powerfull graphics card you can afford (without being silly)

LightWave is very dependant on the CPU for geometry manipulation. Most high end cards are wasted on LightWave. Just get the most expensive consumer level nVidia card that fits your budget.

T-Light
06-07-2006, 07:05 PM
mattclary-

LightWave is very dependant on the CPU for geometry manipulation. Most high end cards are wasted on LightWave
With 9?, go for CPU & general hardware then look at GFX, don't skimp.