PDA

View Full Version : Copy/Paste weirdness in LW 9

Werner
06-07-2006, 05:30 AM
I just noticed that when I do a poly selection on any object and copy/past to the same layer, the selection does not change to the new pasted object.

This is frustrating when you want to copy something and move it into position on the same layer.

evenflcw
06-07-2006, 05:59 AM
This is the way it has always been... but it has always been wrong imho! If you have had another experience, maybe you were using a 3rd party script?

Imho the norm should be that any newly created geometry is automatically selected, so it can be easily accessed and manipulated directly after creation. This this is so for the Point Tool, Make Polygon, Make Open Curve, Bevel, Smooth shift and so on. Pretty much all the low level creation functions (those that create single points/polys/curves) and "multiply" tools work this way. Strangely enough this is however not the case with other tools that create new geometry, mainly the ones that create Primitives. Personally I think it would have been good if geometry was automatically selected in those cases aswell. It would be more consistent and convenient. Same is true for pasted geometry.

EDIT:
I should add that selections should not necessarily be made automatically in all selection modes, just a select few (in most cases one). We already experienced the workflow horror of a Make Polygon function that maintained the points selected early on in the 8.x cycle.

I also feel I must emphasize that the automatic selection should ADD to existing selection not create a brand new one.

I guess this should be moved to feature requests perhaps. :)

JML
06-07-2006, 06:33 AM
I just noticed that when I do a poly selection on any object and copy/past to the same layer, the selection does not change to the new pasted object.

This is frustrating when you want to copy something and move it into position on the same layer.

YES, :cursin:
nothing new, but really annoying..