PDA

View Full Version : Bump Map Trouble...

geothefaust
06-07-2006, 12:01 AM
Hey everyone,

I am rather frustrated with something I've been trying to do all bloody night!

I'm using a bump map for a tire tread. Pretty simple really. I am using a UV map of the tread, apply the image I created for the tread, and sure enough, it creates a bump map. Though, here is my problem... When I increase the texture amplitude, it doesn't change much at all. I just want it it to increase, but I don't notice any change beyond a texture amplitude of 5 or so. And it's really begining to annoy me crap out of me. :bangwall: What am I missing here?

So, does anyone have any ideas? I would really appreciate any help I can get.

toby
06-07-2006, 02:38 AM
Bump only affects the shading on the surface, there's only so much that it can do. If the peaks of the bump are returning 100% of the diffuse and the valleys are 0%, that's all the bump can do. Sharp lines or edges are also very hard to achieve with bump, and it's useless at glancing angles.

You may want to use the map for displacement instead, which of course requires a lot of geometry - it might be even better to model it, it really depends on how well you will see the tread.

geothefaust
06-07-2006, 12:14 PM
Thanks for your help Toby.

I was aware that it could only do so much, but I figured it could do just a little more then what I'm getting. :( I was hoping to avoid actually modeling the geometry completely (though it is nearly completely modeled at this point), so I will probably just go that route.

Thanks again. :thumbsup: