PDA

View Full Version : node texturing?

erich
06-06-2006, 03:16 PM
I must be blind because I cannot see how to access the new nodal texturing interface in LW9? Can someone tell me please. :stumped:

Steve Reeves
06-06-2006, 03:21 PM
Hi, in the surfacing dialogue, there is a button towards the top called 'Edit Nodes' - just above the color settings. Click it and the world of nodes shall show itself!

Have fun!

Celshader
06-06-2006, 03:22 PM
I must be blind because I cannot see how to access the new nodal texturing interface in LW9? Can someone tell me please. :stumped:

It took me a moment to find it, too. Open up the Surface Editor. In the Basic tab, above the listing for "Color," are two buttons: "Edit Nodes" and a checkbox to activate/deactivate Node surfacing on the surface. Click on the checkbox so that Nodes can affect your surface, then click on "Edit Nodes" to access the Node Editor for that surface.

*EDIT* Looks like Steve beat me to it! :)

erich
06-06-2006, 04:25 PM
Thanks guys. I'll try that as soon as I get home.

Cheers. :D

Tesselator
06-06-2006, 09:33 PM
There are currently three Node Editors!

One in the [F5] surface editor -> Edit Nodes
One for VM Lights [L,p] Light Properties -> Volumetric Light Options
and One for Displacement [O,p] Object Properties -> Deform Tab.

RedBull
06-06-2006, 09:52 PM
3 Nodal editors?
What about all the rest, Clip Maps, Texture Environment, Hypervoxels? etc, etc. You mean all this great talk of Nodal, and Newtek only half implemented it into certain areas? That's really unlike NT to half implement something?

;)

That begs the obvious question, why was it not added everywhere?

Also can displacements be done from the Surface Editor or did they add a Nodal surface editor and not give displacement access from the SE? All seems like a round-about type of implentation..

stevecullum
06-08-2006, 07:23 AM
That begs the obvious question, why was it not added everywhere?

They got to save SOMETHING for 9.x ;)

RedBull
06-08-2006, 02:57 PM
No they have to add things for 9.x
They shouldn't be saving anything for 9.0. :)

My problem is this is typical of anything NT do with LW, it's band-aid solution.
Meaning they are not cleaning the core to implement a full architectural change, to allow plugins like Nodal to be used in all areas of LW.

I'm sure there are plenty other areas of LW9 that work in some areas of LW sometimes, but they did not polish it and get it working fully the first time.
It's Dejavu in this respect.

They should implement things fully the first time, before adding other features.

So are you saying that if i want Displacement maps, i have to use the Displacement Nodal Editor i can't do displacements from the SE Nodal?
Meaning i can't save presets, in the SE to use as displacements?
Also they bothered to make VLights but not ClipMaps or Hypervoxels, Editors.

Why would we not make One Surface Editor, that can be accessed from all T or N buttons? That can surface HV, Lights, Displacements, Clips, Surfaces?
Ala XSI.

For this most amazing feature in LW9, it's starting to sound less amazing.

Weepul
06-08-2006, 03:18 PM
So are you saying that if i want Displacement maps, i have to use the Displacement Nodal Editor i can't do displacements from the SE Nodal?
Meaning i can't save presets, in the SE to use as displacements?
You can copy/paste and export/import nodes from any node editor to any other. The editor interface is identical except for the destination node, into which everything plugs.

Celshader
06-08-2006, 03:25 PM
My problem is this is typical of anything NT do with LW, it's band-aid solution.
Meaning they are not cleaning the core to implement a full architectural change, to allow plugins like Nodal to be used in all areas of LW.

Redbull, the Node Editor is not a plug-in.

There is no Node.p. There is no Node.dll.

Nodes are part of the core of LightWave 9.

digital verve
06-08-2006, 03:30 PM
No they have to add things for 9.x
They shouldn't be saving anything for 9.0. :)

Actually, it is because it is not a band aid solution and properly thought out, that it has not been implemented YET into the other areas such as Hypervoxels etc. They are still finishing areas of the codebase that won't be ready for the initital LW 9.0 release but will be in the 9.x. Same thing with the OGL rewrite in Modeler, history and instancing (coming in a later update). We will see Nodal everywhere I presume :) .

We will see. Time will tell. :thumbsup:

jayroth
06-08-2006, 03:41 PM
Redbull,

if you have a chance, read through the white paper we posted some time ago, available elsewhere on the website. You will see that we have a philosophy to make our improvements to LightWave available to the community as soon as we can. Regarding the Node Editor, we do intend to combine its functions as possible and logical, given the tasks at hand. In the future, the Node Editor will have a more global role that it does now.

If I understand your argument, you would prefer that we wait until we have everything integrated and streamlined before we give anyone access to the Node Editor at all, is that correct? This would tend to run counter to our stated philosophy, as noted above. Honestly, while the Node editor is not global in its context (and thus we have three instances of it), each instance is quite useful and powerful, as can be demonstrated in a variety of threads. Without each, we would not have sub-surface scattering, new shading models, multi-axis displacements and Z-Brush compatibility, and so on. Given that, why should we choose to withhold such a useful technology until a later date? Why not make all of that power available today? With all due respect, I do not see how it benefits anyone to do so, but I do see the benefits of making all of that capability represented by the current implementation of the Node Editor available now.

I do think I understand your concerns behind your argument. You have not had a reason in the past to think that something like the node editor will grow beyond where it is today, or that its functionality would be more integrated in future releases. Honestly, that was then. Today's NewTek, and today's LightWave, are clearly different (hopefully better) than what has been the case in the past. We are charting our course publicly, speaking very openly and honestly about LightWave development.

Clearly, you see the potential of having integration in the Node Editor, as do we. You want to that integration to happen, as do we, and we are in a position to make it happen. Beyond integration, the scope of the node editor will be extended beyond what it addresses today.

So far, we have done well at giving you folks what we said we would. Sure, we can do better, and we will, but consider where we all were a couple of years ago with LightWave, and contrast it with the LightWave 9 of today. Hopefully, you see what we see, which is real speed, tremendous power, and true value, as well as a great hope for the future of LightWave.

Thanks for your comments, and keep them coming.

Best,

Jay Roth

erich
06-08-2006, 05:08 PM
Good and nice answer Jay. :)

Thank you.

Cheers.
Erich

stevecullum
06-08-2006, 06:02 PM

I do undertand what your saying too. Hopefully Jay's answer puts you mind at rest with the concerns of Lightwave's future. I'm tremendously pleased that they have given us the power that they have in this release and while limited in its scope, still adds amazing artisitc possibilities.

I believe the future holds all kind of nodally goodness and I'm pleased NT are taking the time with this release, to make the changes to the underlying structures of the app, which have dogged development, rather than rush out with a bunch of features that ride on an iffy code base. (breath! :))

wacom
06-08-2006, 06:13 PM
At worst nodes are a full body cast right now...not a band aid!:jam: