PDA

View Full Version : cell Division PLEASE HELP ??

sinelab
06-06-2006, 10:10 AM
Does anyone know how to create an animation of a cell dividing into two cells ?

Qslugs
06-06-2006, 10:58 PM
Hypervoxels would work, you could also do it in post as well. Figure out a way to mask things out and composite it in after effects or equivilant. you could also try some morphs and replacement objects, sculpt some morphs to the point of where the cell divides, then when it needs to split, replace the object with a smaller version of itself and add another one where the split occured. Id try hypervoxels first though. You could do all sorts of boolean stuff to make the voxel have some thickness b setting up different groups.

Silkrooster
06-07-2006, 12:17 AM
Hmmm. what about 2 metaballs, use morph mixer to move the 2 points away from each other, then it should be just a matter of getting the texture right.
Silk

Silkrooster
06-07-2006, 12:24 AM
A quick morph using metaballs. Its a Quicktime video btw.
Silk

SplineGod
06-07-2006, 04:56 AM
You could use a couple of metaballs and put a bone in each. :)

dablan
06-08-2006, 07:30 AM
I did a job for Fujisawa, two splitting cells. Hypervoxels was the answer. The problem was that the texture maps applied to all, not the split - but LW 8.5 fixed that. Take two nulls, apply the voxel, and then animate the nulls pulling apart on the X. I found it has a really nice blend to it.

aurora
06-08-2006, 08:49 AM
I've done numerous cell type division projects and have used both meta balls and HV's If you don;t care about a translucent cell wall and seeing the cells interior HV's are the way to go, if you are doing interior modeling then meta balls are the way to go.
Yet for the greatest control I have found creating either a quick meta ball or HV division setup, render to frames then use them as background ref and create the division again using morphed objects. Its tricky at first using this method but you can get some really great results and after you do it once or twice you no longer need the ref.

SplineGod
06-09-2006, 02:43 AM
Im with Aurora on this one. Ive done lots of cell animation (pardon the pun) and Metaballs are much easier to deal with especially in LW9. The geometry optimizations that Newtek has done has really sped up everything including metalls. You can see them blob together in realtime in opengl which HVs wont do. Its also easy to up/down rez them like you would subpatches which HVs wont do. If you ever have to do alot theres also level of detail plugins which can reduce the polys based on distance to the camera. :)

aurora
06-09-2006, 09:39 AM
As a side note if you are doing interior cell imagining too, metaballs work really well for chromosome wrapping, pairing and division.
After alittle playng with Dynamite I also see some great potential for it to become an extremely viable way of doing some of this work as well.