PDA

View Full Version : Character rigging with loose fitting clothes?

eidetiken
06-06-2006, 08:34 AM
I have a character with loose fitting shorts and t-shirt. I rigged the bones for the character but the clothes are on different layers (different objects). How do I rig the clothes so that they conform to the charater as I pose her? For instance when she stands the front of the shorts leg openings are a little away from the front of the thighs, while the back of the shorts leg opening conform to the back of the thigh. But when she lifts her leg, I'm posing her to ride a mountain bike, the front of the leg opening conforms to the front of the thigh while the back of the leg opening kind of hangs down. If that makes since.

How do I you rig loose fitting clothes?

eidetiken
06-06-2006, 08:54 AM
forgot the image... my first character... still needs a lot of tweaking... figure I'll tackle texturing after I get all the vertex tweaking and rigging out of the way.

Nitisara
06-06-2006, 11:56 PM
How do I you rig loose fitting clothes?
I rig such things as cloth dynamics objects.
1) Make the cloth to follow bones of main object. This will move fixed points.
2) Make colliders to affect the cloth. This will move dynamics part.

eidetiken
06-07-2006, 09:17 AM
Thanks Nitisara

Been playing with the cloth dynamics. Works fine if I want to make a flag but i'm missing something when it comes to porting this stuff to the clothes on my character.
I found this tutorial but can't get it to work, I seem to be missing needed plugins: http://www.newtek.com/products/lightwave/tutorials/animation/clothes/index.html

Dodgy
06-07-2006, 10:03 AM
You should try to work with as low poly a collision mesh as possible, and as high poly(as you can afford calc time wise) a 'Low' poly mesh for the shorts. You do the calc on those, and parent the ACTUAL shorts to the 'low' rez shorts and apply Metalink to the actual shorts in the deformation tab. Then the deformations the low shorts get should be applied on the actual shorts.