PDA

View Full Version : Light Beams

shockwave
05-29-2003, 06:35 PM
I am trying to light a structure with spotlights and have the light beam in the shot. When i try to set up the cone and volumetrics i loose the lighting effect, and have a void where there should be light, sort of a revese effect. Everything looks good in Viper but not in the rendered scene. Help?:eek:

05-30-2003, 11:43 AM
Sounds like you've told it that the mediun it's shining through is black smoke ! - Viper does not do too good a job of indicating the texture in the beam, it seems to presume that it's white.
have a look at your medium colour and texture.
But as youve tweaked your settings far enough to get a soot beam it might be easier to start again with a default loaded from preset and then tweak it.
If it's a slow rendering test scenario, then make a quick dummy scene with minimal stand-in objects, get your light looking right in that, then save the settings as a preset, or simple delete everthing except your beutifully set up spots, save the scene, and 'load from scene' 'yes' will bring the lights into your real scene for final tweaking.

shockwave
05-30-2003, 08:44 PM
Actually what i did was move the light too far into the modelled spot and the poly that was the lense blocked the light creating the shadow effect. I was already thinking along the same lines as you and thats how i found the mistake. Cheers:D

pospi
06-01-2003, 02:22 AM
i've had a similar problem in the past, though i think it's just a bug. Sometimes (and i have no idea how or why) a light beam (say for a spacecraft weapon) that renders perfectly will suddenly stop working and just render a solid black beam, which doesnt look like anything.
I just wish i knew why...