PDA

View Full Version : Internal Error RNB0[31]=0

lunarcamel
06-05-2006, 05:42 PM
I am under a crucial deadline and suddenly am dealing with this error message when I launch modeler:

Internal Error RNB0O31]=0

I've already contacted support but wondering if anyone has seen it before?

I'm guessing my trusty parallel port dongle has to be laid to rest - dumb dongles!

Kurtis
06-05-2006, 06:06 PM
This usually means that either the dongle driver is corrupt or the dongle itself has died. You might try reinstalling the latest dongle drive from SafeNet first.

lunarcamel
06-05-2006, 06:21 PM
Its odd cause Layout works but not modeler ...
And I tried the new driver - no luck - this is a good example why dongles STINK ;)

Kurtis
06-05-2006, 06:31 PM
Unusual as it sounds, that is how this error manifests.

Rainbow (rnbo) was taken over a few years ago by a company called SafeNet. You can find links to their latest drivers here:
http://www.safenet-inc.com/support/tech/sentinel.asp

Sorry, but since I don't know what platform you're using, or which dongle you have, I'll have to leave the search to you.

NewTek Tech Support is open from 9:30-5:30 Mon-Fri, if reinstalling the driver doesn't work. They can do a dongle swap for you, if the dongle itself is bad. The only cost to you is to ship it to NewTek. The repair/replacement is free, and the return freight (via the same method you use to ship it in) is free as well.

lunarcamel
06-05-2006, 06:39 PM
Yeah I just ordered the 9 upgrade and then thought now is a good time to get a USB dongle - of course 2 days later my old one craps out ;)

Since I am in a HUGE rush - can they do something where they mail me a new one before they receive the old one - like next day ::cough:: ;)

Kurtis
06-05-2006, 06:46 PM
Sorry, not familiar with their policies on that specifically. If you want to do a dongle swap, you'll need to talk to Customer Service, rather than Technical Support. They both keep the same hours.

Kurtis
06-05-2006, 07:01 PM
And I tried the new driver - no luck - this is a good example why dongles STINK ;)

I know a lot of people have this attitude about the dongle, and I know a lot of people dismiss most of what I say because I'm in Marketing, but I disagree personally on this statement. This isn't necessarily directed at you, but it's something I like to try to explain when it comes up.

There are pros and cons to both methods of software copy protection, but I think the dongle offers a distinct advantage of portability over my software-keyed 3D apps. The ability to install on multiple machines at once, and just move the dongle around, works much better for me personally than my other apps that only allow me to install on one machine and want to charge me $100+ to move the license to another machine, even if it's because the old machine died.

lunarcamel
06-05-2006, 07:37 PM
I agree with that actually - on the other hand Im losing money because of defective hardware - and if Im LUCKY I might be back in business in 2 days at the earliest. So there is a HUGE downside to it as well ;)

Ideally I'd love to see some sort of temporary license system in case something like this comes up - now that would be handy.

Kurtis
06-05-2006, 07:43 PM
Understandable. Everything has its drawbacks at one time or the other. Please call Customer Service and see what they can do to help you.

I know this doesn't help you now, but when the new demo version of v9 is released, it will be time-limited instead of feature-limited. For those that already own the software, they may be able to use this version on a one-time basis for exactly what you are describing.

lunarcamel
06-05-2006, 07:49 PM
Hope you're getting paid overtime ;)

Kurtis
06-05-2006, 07:50 PM
If Layout is still working for you, can you work around the Discovery Edition limitations of Modeler (basically just need to save your modeling as smaller pieces in more files) to finish what you're doing there, and use the still fully functioning Layout to get your project animated and rendered? Just a thought.

radams
06-05-2006, 07:51 PM
I know a lot of people have this attitude about the dongle, and I know a lot of people dismiss most of what I say because I'm in Marketing, but I disagree personally on this statement. This isn't necessarily directed at you, but it's something I like to try to explain when it comes up.

There are pros and cons to both methods of software copy protection, but I think the dongle offers a distinct advantage of portability over my software-keyed 3D apps. The ability to install on multiple machines at once, and just move the dongle around, works much better for me personally than my other apps that only allow me to install on one machine and want to charge me $100+ to move the license to another machine, even if it's because the old machine died.

I totally agree with you on this Kurtis...

I had a system go out twice on me...with all my Abobe licenses serialized...when trying to reinstall nothing would work...contacting Adobe...they just kept saying that it was my own fault for not deauthorizing the software first...well how can you deauthorize software on a dead hard drive ?

Adobe wanted me to purchase FULL NEW licenses to replace the ones I had lost. Yes you read correctly..they told me to buy FULL NEW licenses...I asked for the manager and finally worked out an agreement...but this SUCKS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If I buy a license that is licensed to me (the user) I want it to be able to Follow ME...not be serialized to some hardware in a computer that can go bad and loose the license...even if you have a dongle that goes bad you can replace the dongle...but companies like Adobe know that systems do fail and now your license fails with them...

So, GIVE ME THAT dongle if that is how you want to deal with protection...SCREW over the internet serializing authorizations...BTW, you have to be hooked up to the internet to even use these new protection schemes...
I don't like having production systems hooked up to the internet...so now screw me twice...

Give me that USB dongle...I use a powered hub with 7 or so slots to fit all the ones I have...and can then carry that around where ever I need to go any where in the world..on any system.

Cheers,

lunarcamel
06-05-2006, 08:08 PM
"I use a powered hub with 7 or so slots to fit all the ones I have...and can then carry that around where ever I need to go ..."

You must have big pockets ;)

Kurtis, Ive already emailed Tech Support and I'll follow it up tomorrow with both TS and CS. I'm sure I'll be up again in a few days.

Thanks for your help

lunarcamel
06-08-2006, 06:40 AM
OK so to conclude my story here's how it went ;)

1. I received an email from Tech Support that basically gave me the generic - you might have to "re-install" - no mention of drivers, a possible defective dongle or anything - so that's a THUMBS DOWN on my end

2. The next morning I spoke to TS directly. He was very helpful and made arrangements to send my dongle back - also he forwarded my info to Cust Serv in order to expedite my new dongle and said they call in roughly an hour - THUMBS UP!

3. They never called - THUMBS DOWN!!!

4. Expecting this would happen - I called them. Of course they never received anything from TS. He made arrangements to send out a new USB dongle in a few minutes and all I was responsible for was the shipping, BUT - since half the day was gone I couldn't next day my order - typical and that's why I called first thing in the morning to begin with. So all said and done it's arriving today. - a THUMBS UP.

Overall though I think my thumb is angled slightly UP - everyone I spoke to was friendly and very helpful but anything involving email or internal process was a headache. Pretty minor I suppose at the end of the day.

iconoclasty
06-08-2006, 08:35 AM
Compared to every other company I've dealt with over the phone or online, it sounds like things went pretty well indeed.

Chrusion
08-30-2006, 09:48 AM
2. The next morning I spoke to TS directly. He was very helpful and made arrangements to send my dongle back - also he forwarded my info to Cust Serv in order to expedite my new dongle and said they call in roughly an hour - THUMBS UP!

Well,
Unless all TEN (10) of my RED dongles are bad for Modeler, yet work just fine for Layout, I'd say it's not the dongle, but a plump, juicey bug in Modeler's dongle check and/or interface to the dongle driver!

Another thread discusses a potential patch "any day now", but the last msg was two weeks ago and no resolution seen in this forum via search between then and now.