PDA

View Full Version : Need help on a new workstation

hairy_llama
06-05-2006, 11:26 AM
I'd like to know how LW fairs on some different system specs.

I am thinking to get an Opteron workstation. 2 X dual core 64bit opteron processors. For a total of four processors.

How are rendertimes with the Opteron CPUs? Or should I go with Xeon?
Or maybe just Athlon? What will give me the best performance from LW.
Lightwave, as it stands, does not support multi-core/cpu, except the render engine.
I am worried that a 2.2ghz 2x dual-core Opteron might actually be slower
than a single P4 3ghz for everything except rendering.

Thanks for your help.

lots
06-05-2006, 02:11 PM
Just remember MHz isnt everything. At best, its agood way to differentiate between CPUs from the same family (Pentium 4 3.2GHz vs P4 3.8GHz, or Athlon64 at 1.8GHz vs Athlon64 at 2.8GHz).

A comparison between an Athlon64 at 2.8GHz vs a Pentium4 at 3.8GHz is actually not going to tell you much about the difference in speed, if all you have is the GHz numbers. Athlon64s will do more work in one GHz than a P4 will (or can). So the difference in performance is almost quite the opposite as you'd expect just judging from the MHz.

Basically, ignore the GHz. look at how each performs in specific tasks you plan on using it for.

hairy_llama
06-06-2006, 10:04 AM
So the question is, how does the opteron perform with LW? does lightwave
take advantage of it? Or should I just stick with a more comsumer CPU?

krimpr
06-06-2006, 10:15 AM
I have a twin Opteron 275 dualcore setup on Tyan Mobo and rendering is, on average 5X the speed of the old P4 2.4 Ghz Intel it replaced. Using single threading apps it is roughly equivalent to the old P4 based on seat of the pants usability. But rendering.... Lightwave loves the quad.

mattclary
06-06-2006, 11:34 AM
Go take a look at www.blanos.com to see benchmarks.

The site does not seem to be as useful as it once was, as the CPU choices fail to take dual cores into account, so it's hard to tell EXACTLY what you are looking at.

I spoke to Chris quite a while back about it, and he indicated he was going to make changes to that, but it seems to have never materialized.

The consensus is that AMD chips are the best way to go.

hairy_llama
06-06-2006, 12:04 PM
I have a twin Opteron 275 dualcore setup on Tyan Mobo and rendering is, on average 5X the speed of the old P4 2.4 Ghz Intel it replaced. Using single threading apps it is roughly equivalent to the old P4 based on seat of the pants usability. But rendering.... Lightwave loves the quad.

Thanks. So it would appear I'm not going to get much better Character interaction in Layout, as it is single threaded :(.
I just installed lightwave on an edit system here, using dual Opteron.
Sure enough, layout interactive is not any better than my old P4 3ghz.
Rendering is much better when set to use 2 or more threads.

Thanks for the help.

Scott_Blinn
06-06-2006, 05:32 PM
There are some recent render benchmarks posted here:

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51588

stevecullum
06-06-2006, 06:55 PM
If your main concern is layout/modeler speed, I would go for the fastest Mhz chip you can afford. If its render times, then go for the fastest dual core chips you can afford.

Personally I have 2 x 265's which offer a good bang for buck. In terms of Layout interaction, I'm quite happily working with over a million poly in the scene, and its still fairly responsive. But the real advantage is rendering times, which are nearly twice as fast as my other dual 244 system - which you might expect!

lion111
06-08-2006, 01:15 PM
@ stevecullum

This 2 X 265 system of yours sounds very good to me is it possible you could tell me whats also in your engine (motherboard etc etc).
would be nice
thanks in advance

stevecullum
06-08-2006, 02:07 PM
Full specs are:

Tyan 2877 Mobo
2 x 265 Opterons
1 x PNY 7600GT
4GB DDR
Antec Pro Case
580W Tagam PSU
2 x 20.1" Viewsonic VP2030b

Make sure you buy a decent PSU and case with good airflow, its the bit often overlooked...

lion111
06-08-2006, 02:13 PM
@ stevecullum

Thanks alot
i think i will give this specs a try because i like this "good bang for buck"

stevecullum
06-08-2006, 02:49 PM
One thing to look out for, if you get the same type mobo, the PSU HAS to be of the EPS12V variety.

:goodluck: