PDA

View Full Version : Multi Point Move question

FilSmith
06-05-2006, 09:30 AM
I reposted this here as I believe I originally had it posted in the wrong forum....

Forgive me if the answer to this question is simple. It has been dogging me for some time now. I essentially need to move a series of points down the Y axis in a linear fashion. Like point A to point Z - all going down in increments of say 1.5 meters - each 1.5 meters lower than the previous. Twist and shear have not achieved my desire. Again I apollogize if this is n00bish. I am at a loss.

BTW - The reason I say that twist has not acheived my goal is that this series of points is essentially shaped like an oval. With the points going in so many directions at different areas of the series, twist is not working so well. THANKS :)

THREEL
06-05-2006, 10:18 AM
Can you give us an idea on what kind of object you are modeling, FilSmith? that might help us come up with a good solution for you.

THREEL, but you can call me AL.

BTW--I live just up the road about 3.5 hours north of you in Bryan, Ohio

FilSmith
06-05-2006, 12:09 PM
Thank you Al. Much appreciated. I believe I have solved my dilemma *fingers crossed*.

Essentially I was looking for a tool or method in which an algorithm could be applied so that a series of points could be moved on a given axis, sequentially and each being a given number "lower" than the previous :D

It is for a traffic pattern for an airplane. The descent is constant except for two areas in which the descent steepens.
I now believe that making 194 points in a straight line, rotating the line "x" degrees, and then twisting that line 360 degrees around the Y will give me the desired result. But still I wonder about an algorithm for the above for future projects?
Thanks Al. Good to know we can call upon others to help when needed :)

geothefaust
06-05-2006, 12:56 PM
Well, I'm not sure if this would be the best way to do it, but.....

You could clone the one of the points, that being the point of origin. Using the offset of the clone tool to get the desired result for the points. Then, you could create a poly from those points. Hope this helps.

-Javis