PDA

View Full Version : Making a splash

kiwi dave
06-05-2006, 04:42 AM
What is the best way to create a splash like the example attached. It is only for a static image, and I was trying to do it using particles. But how do I get them to clump together to form sheets of water?

Dave

HowardM
06-05-2006, 04:59 AM
What is the best way to create a splash like the example attached. It is only for a static image, and I was trying to do it using particles. But how do I get them to clump together to form sheets of water?

Dave
Lots of particles in a flat sheet-like shape :D
Try to find NextLimits Demo of Flowtracer.p plugin and use it, it clumps better than HVs.
If you must use HVs then do two or 3 particle caches and mix their sizes a little to break up the blobby look of HVs...

or get Blender which is free and use that to sim, do a search on Blender/LW Fluids...

SplineGod
06-05-2006, 08:35 AM
Model it. Once you like the model kill the polys leaving just the points and then apply HVs to the object. You can then use various procedural textures to randomize the HV size and shape.

kiwi dave
06-05-2006, 09:38 PM
Thanks for the replies.

Larry I think I'll give your method a go. Sounds pretty straight forward, and I can always use your displacements CD for guidance.

Dave

SplineGod
06-05-2006, 10:20 PM
I was thinking too that you could use Howards suggestion except use Partigons and then do a save transformed. You could further tweak it in modeler.
You might be able to do something similar with cloth fx on plane, hit it with a collision object and freeze that as well.

Celshader
06-05-2006, 10:28 PM
What is the best way to create a splash like the example attached. It is only for a static image...

First, follow the advice of the men who posted above -- it's good advice.

Second...if you have a garden hose and a large black sheet that you can hang as a backdrop, you might be able to take a photograph of water-spray that you might use to composite into your image. If it's only for a still image, it could work as an alternative to an HV-render. Make sure the lighting matches, though. :)

SplineGod
06-05-2006, 10:32 PM
Oh yes, the old fashioned analog method...Good suggestion Jen :)

roboanarchy
06-06-2006, 02:45 AM
Oh yes, the old fashioned analog method...Good suggestion Jen :)

Analog is king!

kiwi dave
06-06-2006, 04:21 AM
Jen actually ended up being the closest. The client liked the splash in the image so much I just bought the image off Getty and comped that into the shot.

Quick, easy, done!

Dave

HowardM
06-06-2006, 12:59 PM
boooo ;)