PDA

View Full Version : UV Mapping Trees - Help

Filmdesigner
06-04-2006, 11:07 PM
I am having troubles with UV Mapping Onxy Trees in LW. I am hoping there is an easy way to apply leaf textures without selecting the leaves individually. I am VERY new to UV mapping as my normal work doesn't require it. A tutorial would be excellent.

Thanks all.

SplineGod
06-04-2006, 11:17 PM
I have some free basic UV mapping videos on my site. I also have
a 3 hour CD covering UV mapping in LW.

Do the leaves already have a UV map applied to them. If so it might not be as hard as you think. If each leaf has a separate UV map it will be tedious.

BazC
06-04-2006, 11:21 PM
I was under the impression that Onyx trees were mapped as they were created? Are you sure they're not already mapped?

Filmdesigner
06-04-2006, 11:29 PM
You know, I wouldn't know as the Onyx manuals suck. There is mention in the export facility that UV's can be assigned, but how, I don't know. I will have at look at your site for the offered hellp, thanks.

Filmdesigner
06-04-2006, 11:31 PM
I should probably get some sleep first. This might be the problem... I use Onyx trees all the time, but only in mid and BG situations. They are excellent.

SplineGod
06-05-2006, 01:09 AM
Im sure it creates UVs the problem is whether each leaf is a separate UV map or that they all share a single UV map (which would be better ). :)

ingo
06-05-2006, 01:41 AM
Im sure it creates UVs the problem is whether each leaf is a separate UV map or that they all share a single UV map (which would be better ). :)

Each leaf has its own UV-map, that would be fun to assign 8000 leaf textures, at least the tree looks ultra-realistic if you use 8000 different leaf textures. Not to forget how annoying it is to select the UV-map via Lightwaves popup-menus. ;)

As stated in the manual each leaf comes UV-mapped, so you simply assign a leaf texture in LW, take care that the texture has the right proportions. In surface editor select image map and as mapping method UV-map, than you get a selection of UV-maps that are available. I think Onyx has standard names for the UV-maps.

SplineGod
06-05-2006, 02:20 AM
That would be tedious no matter how easy it is to select. :)

duke
06-05-2006, 08:47 AM
That doesn't sound right. If I remember correctly Onyx exports as .obj, and obj only supports 1 UV map. If it makes a SURFACE for each leaf, then I guess select the branches, invert selected and give the leaves 1 surface.

SplineGod
06-05-2006, 09:10 AM
If thats the case then its much easier to do :)