PDA

View Full Version : 3 button mouse

Pensart
02-17-2003, 04:20 PM
Does anyone have a tip for a 3button mouse?
I have a microsoft intellimouse but i can only use first an second button in the prefs panel of the mouse.
maybe a logitech?
:confused:

Coming from pc (long time now)
I mis the thirt mousebutton especially for example selecting objects in layout. I know i can select them with the first button but i want to avoid that. on pc u could use exclusivly the thirt button for making the selections.

Hmm, does this make any sense " i'm not that good in english"

:D

Elliotjnewman
02-17-2003, 05:20 PM
Makes perfect sense! I too was foolish enough to buy the microsoft intellimouse - it is rubbish! I am now going to send it back - how can they advertise this as a multy button mouse when you cant program a middle button?

I think one of the better mice is the Kensington Optical Elite, or Studio version. I dont think the syudio one is out in the UK yet - does anyone know if you can program the middle scroll button on the Optical Elite as a middle button?

eblu
02-18-2003, 10:21 AM
kensington mice are very programable.
you could feasibly setup any button to be a middle mouse button, or even...
a key command, which is what mac users probably have to do to enable a "middle mouse button" in LW.

i'm ot a fan of the ergonomics, or the drivers of kensington mice, but they do know how to write software that makes the buttons very utilitarian.

paintboy
02-18-2003, 10:29 AM
i have an older kensington "turbo ball" four buttons,
and you can program anyway you wish with their mouseworks software
works great with LWand OSX!

Pensart
02-18-2003, 11:43 AM
Thanks for the info, does anyone know the keyboard equivalent that makes it possibe to simulate the middle mouse button?
I know that holding the apple key and then clicking the mouse stands for the second button.

mlinde
02-18-2003, 12:33 PM
MMB functionality does not exist in LW for the Mac.

A long time ago (5.6, I believe) you could emulate MMB on the PC with Ctrl-Left mouse, but that does not appear to work on the Mac. This is on the list of feature/function requests for the next upgrade, but I don't know that it will get in...

Pensart
02-18-2003, 03:45 PM
Mlinde u are totally wrong
I DIT IT!!!
YEAH!!
It works GREAT...

Just buy yourself an new "Logitech mouse", i chose the MX300. And follow these instructions.

Pensart
02-18-2003, 04:12 PM
tips in lw:

1/ hold down shift and ctrl and click the 3th button, now you have an extra menu :P

2/ In layout open options panel by pressing the letter "o" <-- ooooh and then deactivate left button item select, since you can now select your items (objects, lights etc..) by pressing the 3th button. comes in handy since i always move object by accidently selecting them with the first mousebutton.

All regards.
Pensart

mlinde
02-18-2003, 05:40 PM
Swell. So I have to buy another mouse just to get 3rd button functionality, and it has to be a logitech mouse if I want to know I will get it? Not cool at all. I'm glad you have a solution for you, but the solution to the problem shouldn't be "everyone buy a logitech mouse"

Any idea how to get 3rd button functionality without buying a logitech mouse?

gggraphx
04-17-2003, 08:55 AM
Originally posted by Pensart
tips in lw:

1/ hold down shift and ctrl and click the 3th button, now you have an extra menu :P

2/ In layout open options panel by pressing the letter "o" <-- ooooh and then deactivate left button item select, since you can now select your items (objects, lights etc..) by pressing the 3th button. comes in handy since i always move object by accidently selecting them with the first mousebutton.

All regards.
Pensart

Hey Pensart,
Thanks for the mouse tutorial. I went out and got the Logitech MX700 ($20 off at CompUSA) and couldn't figure out the 3rd mouse button. Your tutorial did the trick. Thank you. Now I'll have to hold a brick in my left hand as the mouse with batteries is pretty heavy and I don't want to get lopsided. :). No mouse cord though--what a trip. I love it.

Pensart
04-17-2003, 12:45 PM
Hi gggraphx,

That's wy i went for the mx300 i have used one without a cord, one from microsoft and it was sooo heavy...

Anyway, i'm glad i could help someone out :rolleyes:

joao
04-17-2003, 01:52 PM
I don't know what you guys are talking about!
I've got a microsoft mouse and all buttons work fine.
I basically leave the left and right mouse button the way they are and give keystrokes to evrything else in the intelimouse driver...
My config works like this:
Left/right button : default
middle button : "g" (to centre viewport)
scroll up : "." (to zoom in)
scroll down : "," (to zoom out)

Works perfectly!
Thinking of getting the wireless logitech though....
Can you assign keystrokes to scroll up and down? I use this all the time to zoom - it's perfect (though lightwave should have this anyway).

Hope this helps you guys,
Joao.

joao
04-17-2003, 01:56 PM
P.S.

You have to assign Lightwave and modeler as applications in the driver window to use the keystrokes.
Otherwise all your programs will use the same config. I use different keystrokes for different programs - really useful.

Joao.

Pensart
04-17-2003, 02:48 PM
Hi Joao,

Cool,
I know u can configure the middle mousebutton to strokes and more...

now try to hold down shift+ctrl and press your middle mousebutton.
So where is your 3the mousebutton popup menu???

ctrl+shift+lmb works
ctrl+shift+rmb works
ctrl+shift+mmb cannot get configured with the microsoft mousebuttons.

toby
04-17-2003, 03:33 PM
i've had logitech for a while now, they didn't have OSX drivers for a LONG time so I use "USB Overdrive X". I don't get a "mmb" but I don't use menus anyway (love those hot-keys) - I have the scroll button set to option-click so I can rotate the scene or model around on whim - love it!

toby
04-17-2003, 04:18 PM
try "USB Overdrive X" if this doesn't work for you - it should work with your MS Incompetentmouse

Pensart
04-18-2003, 03:57 AM
Nah, thanks for the tip but i really love this logitech mousy :D
And i really love those popup menu's.
This way i can hide the button menu and have more drawingspace.

justinowens
04-18-2003, 05:22 PM
Not sure if you've already decided what you'll be getting, but I'm reallly happy with the Kensington StudioMouse...3 buttons plus a scroll pad.

The mouse works great and you can program it to your hearts desire...I couldn't imagine going back to a single button mouse ever again :)

-Justin

Ade
04-20-2003, 10:12 PM
6x8 wacom.