PDA

View Full Version : Having a Low-poly "Cage" Affect a High-res Mesh

Emfrobia
06-03-2006, 05:10 PM
Currently, I'm modeling a creature and i've come to a point where i need to add more resolution. I really need to have the added detail, but i want to be able to have the control of having a low-poly mesh. Is there a way that i can add a low-poly "cage" that can control large areas of the mesh?
You could almost compare this to the way that Z-Brush 2 has multi-resolution smoothing. Thanks,
~Evan

ShawnStovall
06-03-2006, 05:14 PM
I think you can set the amount of Sub-D in a preset window somewhere.

<edit>

I found it! It's in the general options.

</edit>

Emfrobia
06-03-2006, 06:20 PM
Thanks for replying Shawn, but that's not what i'm looking for. The Sub-D Level just increases the smoothness, not the amount of detail. I need something that will control the basic poly flow, while letting me add small detail at the same time.

faulknermano
06-03-2006, 10:34 PM
use md_metaplug. assuming your cage object is already animated, export that cage using md_scan, which puts the anim data into an mdd. then apply the mdd file to the hires mesh using md_metaplug. select the mdd for the animation, select the cage mesh (.lwo) for the cage object.

SplineGod
06-03-2006, 11:44 PM
Create two versions of your creature:
A lower polygon (animateable) version and
A higher res detailed out version.

Animate with the lower res version then swap in the
higher rez version when needing to check deformations or render.

Heres an example of a rig I setup that can swap in and out of an animation and deformation mode.
http://www.3dtrainingonline.com/examples/char_rig_demo.zip