PDA

View Full Version : modeler crash

AlexHead
06-03-2006, 02:48 PM
Hi,

i've been running LW for about a month or so with no problems. Suddenly now the modeler crashed within 10 minutes or so of each session.

I'm working my way through Light wave 8 by Ablan, doing the geraffe model. I'm sure i'm not taxing the modeler with this toutorial.

Anyway, the crashes started after i loaded the model, picked a few polys and activated the Drag command. I could move points aropund in the perspective and side view. the moment i tried anything in the back view it would crash. I thought just moving points might work, that resulted in crashing in the perspective view.

I reinstalled LW.

the crashes continued as before.

I thought my model was somehow bad. I loaded Ablans model from his site. This time i crashed while setting the display preferences.

I restarted and was able to model a bit and then crashed again after zooming and rotating a bit.

this is what i'm running....
AMD Opteron duel core 2.0 ghz
Nvidia GeForce 6600 PCI-E video card
2 gb memory
sound blaster extagy sound card
USBs, Firewire cards etc

I do not know what else would be important....

I'm running WinXP Pro with the latest updates
other apps....
corel paint shop X
Vue 5
scannwizzard
Canon camera drivers

Any ideas?

thanks for any help. I'm not going to get anything done until this is solved.

alex

IMPERIAL
06-03-2006, 03:55 PM
its not a modeler problem, since it was working... and all described sounds like display drivers problem...try to deinstal and then install same or older ones. I think when you uninstall win will install some old nvidia drivers.. those are slow but everything should work... if its ok then install newer ones.

AlexHead
06-03-2006, 08:02 PM
thanks for the response.

I loaded new video drivers, but the modeler still crashes within a very short time of modeling.

Does modeler or LW have issues with duel core processors?

slatr
06-03-2006, 08:55 PM
What does event log say about the crash?

IMPERIAL
06-04-2006, 04:18 AM
there must be some other software installed that is in conflict with modeler then. If the crash is not always on same thing, then its not a modeler bug. It is good to experiment and find the real problem, but if its not working i always reinstall winxp. Modeler should only benefit from dual core cpu.

Ztreem
06-04-2006, 05:32 AM
Try to disable one of the processors in the taskmanager, seems like modeler have some issues with dual cpu's. You can also download xcpu and config it so it disables one of the cpu's on startup of modeler.

AlexHead
06-04-2006, 05:33 PM
thankyou all for the assistance.

I've reformated my machine and reinstalled WinXP 32 pro bit version.

I've loades all the latest drivers for sound, video as well as the mother board drivers
LW and Adobe reader are the only programs on my system.

Modeler crashed 100% of the time within about 10 minutes of use.

Attached are screen grabs of the crash event, i'm unable to locate the .txt file that is refered to in the crash window. I'll post theat too if someone can tell me where to find it. a search of my machine could not locate it.

I really do not know what to do at this point. LW is useless to me untill i can resolve what ever is the problem.

worse still LW9 RC2 has the same problem.

I have a duel core processor (one processor that is supposed to act as two), not duel processors. I have not found a way to disable one of the 'cores'. So I have not tested Ztreams suggestion.

the crashs always occur within 10 minutes, but I'm not always doing the same thing. Sometimes i'm zooming or panning, other times i'm using the drag tool. Once i was doing nothing, just staring at the screen thinking about my next move.

Ztreem
06-05-2006, 02:49 AM
To disable one cpu/core; go to the taskmanager, click on the process tab and find modeler in the list, right click on the cpu column and a menu will appear, in that menu you can choose to set the number of cpu's/core's for modeler.
Hope it helps.