PDA

View Full Version : Knife Cuts in Symmetry Mode

Emfrobia
06-03-2006, 02:46 PM
I'm working on a model of a mine, and i'm having one problem. I'm trying to add geomtry with the "Knife" tool. The operation works fine on one side, but nothing happens on the other side. This makes modeling with this tool pretty impractical if you need something identical on both sides, so i'm wondering if there is a way i can change this? Thanx,
Emfrobia

vincent1
06-04-2006, 07:33 AM
If a lightwave tool doesn't work in symmetry mode, you are generally left high and dry.

Workaround:

Do all knife cuts on one side, then delete the uncut half and resymmetise the model.

How to resymmetise? After deleting half the model, press 'shift v', click once on the deleted side in the front viewport, when the the mirrored side appears, press 'n', set the correct axis to '0' (the numeral zero), check "Merge Points" and press enter to complete the symmetry.

The above assumes you have built the symmetrical model around a '0' value centre on at least one axis.

dgon64
06-04-2006, 08:47 AM
You could also try Band saw Pro where you can define multiple cuts but it may create extra geometry.

geothefaust
06-05-2006, 01:00 PM
dgon is correct. Bandsaw Pro is one of my weapons of choice. If you like to use plugins, you could always get EasySplit. It works in symmetry mode.