PDA

View Full Version : Xp Professional 64

iDV8
06-03-2006, 05:39 AM
Does anyone know about compatibility issues with Xp 64?
I got my new computer (yeah!) and it seems only LightWave works on it (doh!). I can't even get it to play a DVD yet let alone my other programs like Avid Express Pro.
I can't find any info on it. Any help would be appreciated. :help:

dgon64
06-03-2006, 09:07 AM
A lot of things still do not work with XP64-mainly driver or dongle issues. I only have a couple of other programs other than LW installed on my XP64 partition-one being Vue-installed to my x86 program folder. Having said that-I do my rendering in LW32 under XP64 because access to the 4G Ram on my computer allows me to render a large scene that LW will not even load on my W2000 partition. More XP64 plug-ins and programs are becoming available but if not specifically written for XP64-finding compatible drivers, etc. can be hit or miss. I guess trial and error or patience is required in some cases. Just my experience.

lots
06-03-2006, 09:34 AM
Try VLC player, it should take care of some of your dvd play back needs.

Anyway, I've been using XP64bit for a while, and have had no problems with compatability. *shrug* maybe its just me :P Even things I thought wouldn't work have...

iDV8
06-03-2006, 10:12 AM
Thanks, I finally found a codec that worked. I just thought it funny that Windows Media Player that was installed didn't have it's own codec. As I installed more I found more luck. I think my Adobe products may be too old (embarassingly old), but the later versions should work fine, right? My Avid Express Pro is what I'm worried about. I'm waiting for a response from them. I suppose all the NewTek products work fine (VT).

I just started to freak out when Norton Antivirus, Avid, DVD etc wouldn't work. I thought nothing worked. Any way, I'll keep plugging away at it.

Thanks for you help and suggestions.

Verlon
06-04-2006, 12:23 AM
I have been running X64 for about a year. There are precious few things I cannot get to work (though a couple are truly irritating).

Any game or program using older Starforce 2 copy protection (i.e Simbin's GTR racing game).

Webcams (I think creative has one that works now)

Older HP printer drivers, especially all-in-ones where you can print, but not scan

A lot of virii and spyware don't work on X64 :)

Some old DVD authoring program....I do not remember, but it may not be alone. It was really old though.

There are more than a few plugins that do not work with 64 Bit Lightwave, but do work with 32 bit lightwave running under XP64.

Quicktime 7.1 has issues (with a work around), 7.0.4 works ok though.

Many a tech support guru will try and get you off the phone screaming 'unsupported system' (whether or not it IS supported) so be prepared to deal with that.

iDV8
06-04-2006, 05:50 AM
Thanks for the Quicktime heads up, that's one that I couldn't get to work. Isn't there a site that is helpful with all this?

Must remove Quicktime 7.1 befor Qt 7.0.4 can be installed but 7.1 won't budge. This reminds me of when I leaped into Windows NT when it first came out.

Verlon
06-04-2006, 02:44 PM
oh, if you have the bad quicktime... it kilss affter effects, aura, mirage, and several other apps that are closely related. Sorry, forgot to mention that bonus effect.

I was using several words mommie wouldn't let me say when I was little when I discovered that feature.

iDV8
06-04-2006, 03:15 PM
Lol. I can't get the darn thing off now. I guess I'll go and get a copy of Xp pro 32 and reformat everything and dual boot.
Does any one else use any video editing with Xp 64? And I can't get any adobe products to even install, I hope it's because they are years old.

The good part of all this is that I did a test between my new dual chip mad man computer and my old computer. I put an identical scene and object on both and hit F9 at the same time.

Render time on new computer: 3:12.
Render time on old computer (and old LW):10:32.
The fact that I can't run my video stuff... priceless.

OK now I'm ranting.

Verlon
06-04-2006, 03:29 PM
oh...go to quicktime support, sorry. There are further instructions for the mor complete removal of quicktime (or a workaround that leaves you a little vulnerable to badguys)

pilF
06-04-2006, 03:45 PM
I'm using AE 7 pro on my xp 64 dual opteron 4 gig ram, audition, photoshop illustrator etc, no problems here until yesterday when i decided to upgrade qt to 7.1 AE won't work with it and qt won't leave my HD, uninstalling is a pain think i'll have to do a registry cleanup to convince qt 7.04 that 7.1 has realy realy left the system.

Though i did find AE a bit unstable when using 3d camera layers, something to do with the grahic card.

Verlon
06-04-2006, 03:54 PM
once I cleared off 7.1 and went back to 7.0.4, yeah, all is well.

I wouldn't say I was a serious video editor, but I am working on a DVD from my own wedding at tme moment. I dabble with DFX, Mirage, and Effects Lab and the like from time to time.

I have photoshop 7 from 2002 installed and it behaves nicely.

I only know about the after effects issue from reading on quicktime forums. I do not actually have a copy of that (and with mirage, effects lab, dfx+, and pinnacle, it seems an unlikely purchase at this time).

lots
06-06-2006, 09:24 AM
I have been running X64 for about a year. There are precious few things I cannot get to work (though a couple are truly irritating).

A lot of virii and spyware don't work on X64 :)

That's the one isnt it ;)

Verlon
06-06-2006, 02:01 PM
my spelling seems to have degenerated into something pathetic in this thread. You'd never guess english was my native language.

Did backing out of quicktime to an earlier version fix the adobe issues?

pilF
06-06-2006, 03:21 PM
Not sure here, but removing a ms hotfix named KB908531 did, running qt 7.1 and AE 7 now. Hope the virii-not-running-64- bit is true.

Lord Snarebotto
06-07-2006, 04:39 AM
Thanks, I finally found a codec that worked. I just thought it funny that Windows Media Player that was installed didn't have it's own codec. As I installed more I found more luck. I think my Adobe products may be too old (embarassingly old), but the later versions should work fine, right? My Avid Express Pro is what I'm worried about. I'm waiting for a response from them. I suppose all the NewTek products work fine (VT).

I just started to freak out when Norton Antivirus, Avid, DVD etc wouldn't work. I thought nothing worked. Any way, I'll keep plugging away at it.

Thanks for you help and suggestions.

Norton A/V IS A VIRUS. Use some decent A/V software:

Kaspersky, Bullguard, PC-Cillin. There are others, but each one of these leaves Norton in a big cloud of dust.

iDV8
06-07-2006, 08:01 AM
Norton A/V IS A VIRUS. Use some decent A/V software:

Kaspersky, Bullguard, PC-Cillin. There are others, but each one of these leaves Norton in a big cloud of dust.

Thanks for the tip. I've looked at some of the free virus protection on the web but have been too afraid to trust them. Have you any experience with them?

messiah
06-07-2006, 08:10 AM
Avast or Nod32 works realy well on 64 bit(they are 64 bit apps afterall), I also found quite a lot of good stuff at planetamd64.com(drivers and somesuch).