PDA

View Full Version : CC Subds Super Fast in RC2!

Chris S. (Fez)
06-02-2006, 10:44 PM
The CC subds in RC 2 are much, much faster than in previous builds. Great work, Newtek! Wow. I'm seriously impressed.

Whatever you did to optimize CC subds, how about doing the same for regular subds? Most of us still model in quads after all. With similar optimizations applied to an already pretty fast implementation, Newtek could very well have the fastest subds in the industry...especially if Modeler OpenGL is updated in the 9.x cycle.

mav3rick
06-03-2006, 04:42 AM
lol yea i just checked out CC beveling and it is lot faster in term of respons than regular SUBD:) anyway:) nice to see CC boooost:)
i am sure theyr boosting will match speed of both at the end

mav3rick
06-04-2006, 06:40 AM
actyually when i think why do we need SUBPATCH anyway? i think they should move to CC completly...... quads are quads here and there and it is up to you will you use or not ngons... so i vote for CC only in th future

hrgiger
06-04-2006, 08:07 AM
Well mav3rick, there was talk during the beta that Newtek was planning on adding the same functionality to Lightwave's original subpatches. Also, CC's still have some problems with certain modleling operations. I say may the best subdivision surface win.

geothefaust
06-05-2006, 01:32 PM
Shouldn't this be on the bug report forum? I mean... Wait. Kidding! :D

I'm happy to see they are moving so much better now. I still a hoard of modeling with just normal SubD's. For organics, CC is great.

And Mav3rick, I don't agree with you. Keeping LW SubD's was a great idea. And I do hope they expand on them. Having both types of SubD's at our disposal is a huge advantage.

kmaas
06-05-2006, 01:48 PM
Besides that, getting rid of SubD's would break backward compatibility. You wouldn't be able to open a scene with SubD objects and have it render correctly. In fact, if they got rid of them, you wouldn't even be able to change the files to CC's in Modeler.

mav3rick
06-06-2006, 08:47 AM
what makes old subd competative or better than CC ?
do you feel fooled if you use Ngons or ?
if your work modeling skills are quad based you would probable like me go for quad modeling in future.. but that doesnt stop u using one subdivision algorithm does it?
all applications nowadays use CC mostly so i dont see why we shouldnt go . if u need convert to subpatch mode u select it like it is now and convert ngons into quads or tris if there is any....
simple doesnt ?
i dont think we should not have subp mode but i think they should focus on one of them to optimize and update to full customization.. and i think we should go CC..... ofcourse at one moment when they fix them both it would be nice to see both ot them work seamless

WilliamVaughan
06-06-2006, 10:51 AM
I's great seeing the speed updates. Be sure when comparing between the two you set the options to match.

Subpatch set at 4 is equal to CC set at 2.

CC's are faster on my system for sure....The Dev team is smokin'

spiroz
06-06-2006, 11:05 AM
Just make sure you compare speed when editing the
CC/subpatch mesh - just rotating it in the viewport would
probably just equal rotating a frozen mesh. No way a CC
would be faster than a subpatch otherwise..

voriax
06-06-2006, 05:55 PM
Just make sure you compare speed when editing the
CC/subpatch mesh - just rotating it in the viewport would
probably just equal rotating a frozen mesh. No way a CC
would be faster than a subpatch otherwise..

You're right here, theres still a bit of a difference when editing a CC model, but it's improved so much since the start that the future of CC's is looking bright..
Now, when edge weighted CC's starts to work with regular modelling tools, I'll be a very happy chappy :D I was so happy yesterday when i went to start a modelling job in CC's and they were so fast, but then i was quickly shot down by the fact that i couldnt even mirror an edge weighted CC object without it going dodgy :(

But it's ok.. I know it'll get sorted soon..

moc
06-07-2006, 01:40 AM
I want to know how to setup a edge weight at cc sub-d now?

mav3rick
06-07-2006, 05:16 AM
i would like to see speedup of texture wire wiev it is most usefull for me when modeling....

moc
inc dec sharpness

CoryC
06-07-2006, 08:57 AM
I want to know how to setup a edge weight at cc sub-d now?

Right now there are 3 commands - Increase Sharpness, Decrease Sharpness, and Set Sharpness. These let you define the weighting. You will have to add them to the menu for now. You can find them listed under Modeler Tools in the Edit Menu option.