PDA

View Full Version : Mini Switcher for T4?

whiskey3
06-02-2006, 08:51 PM
I know that there is the RS-8....but I remember some third party company that made like an RS-4 or mini controller for the Toaster?
Anybody remember this............. links?

Thanks.

Paul Lara
06-02-2006, 11:40 PM
that would be the Mini-Bob, which used to be manufactured by Pizazz Productions. It was essentially a connector box that went from the back of VT to the table top. It was not, however, a replacement for the SX-8, and is not capable of being used as VT switcher inputs.

Ivan
06-03-2006, 08:59 AM
Wasn't there a post last year indicating that Newtek might come out with a three or four input switcher/BOB for VT? Let's face it, you have it in Tricaster so the development is done. Some Post places don't need a full blown BOB and yet need more than TriCaster offers.

Anyone at Newtek getting any ideas???

Ivan

Bobt
06-03-2006, 09:24 AM
I agree with Ivan.
I am like one of those guys. Most cameras I will have hooked is 3.
Why? I only will have 3 cameras. So 4 inputs (maybe one spare) or 3
for a cheap price would be very nice. BOBS are not inexpensive. Even used
like me :)

Bob

badllarma
06-03-2006, 10:47 AM
yup this would be really nice SX8 is an over kill for myself as well and out of my budget but a small unit would be great I do have a mini Bob at present (had to buy second hand and import from the US (I'm in UK)) and if you have work on Dsk and one camera you can use it as a switcher it has one Y/C input which can be fed as a live feed via the proc amp or could in VT2 I've just upgraded to VT 4.6 and now there is issues with the signal which I never had probelms with the VT2.

(See my other posting with regards to black line at the top of the screen.)

3 or 4 camera Y/C in and out would be great :thumbsup:

jcupp
06-03-2006, 11:33 AM
NewTek could ship the SX-3 that is used in the Tricaster as a seperate product. I asked for this a year ago. I don't know what is involved software wise to support it but it has got to be doable.

Bobt
06-03-2006, 12:24 PM
Of I built one would people buy it?
(I used to do hardware a long time ago built a PC card and some other things)

Bob

whiskey3
06-03-2006, 03:49 PM
I'd buy one.:thumbsup:

badllarma
06-03-2006, 06:00 PM
Count me in Bob :thumbsup:

Keith Gandy
06-03-2006, 09:41 PM
We would be an additional customer.

Videonut
06-03-2006, 09:49 PM
I have been asking about this item since I got my VT2. I would love dearly to have something like that. Bob you could sell a bunch of these. I already own the Mini BOB that Pizzaz sells and I love it, but a 3-4 input would be swe-e-e-e-e-e-et!!!!!!

KWeaver
06-03-2006, 10:04 PM
I just did a demo for a large church (4000 members) today.
They would definitely buy a six to eight y/c, component SX-? for about $995 to $1295.
Fourth one in 5 weeks that is wanting, that size and price range.
Ken Weaver

Bobt
06-04-2006, 09:14 AM
>buy a six to eight y/c,
Isnt that an sX8?

Bob

rbartlett
06-04-2006, 12:38 PM
Is the SX3 a real piece of kit bolted on the Tricaster internal PCI card? Or is it really just the 2-input +preview VT[3] card wired up nicely?

There are enough inputs and A2D paths in the VT[3] to be able to soft switch any two inputs and hard switch the third - or the whole soft gambit (possibly with some rejig of the core logic of the equivalent VT board). Clearly the cards that are released are not interchangable, just as Aura and LW dongles are product locked. However I can't see that there is a bunch of electronics in the Tricaster that is anything like as fine and dandy as a cut down SX8/SX84? I'd say most if not all of what it has other than the 5.25" presentation is related to the PCI32 @ 66 board that is in what currently ships under the TriCaster badge.

Now, TriCaster Pro just might be a different kettle of fish again, but component I/O is just as much about socketry implementation as anything. NewTek already have a PCI board that can do TriCaster and TriCaster Pro functions with the VT[3] board.

What NewTek bring with the SX8/SX84 is not just the magic that goes on in the black tin box. Remember how important the daughterboard is on the main VT card. That tells the software that there is a genuine NewTek enhancement attached and provides the control interface to connect, in switcher (not router) style to a particular subset of the total set of inputs.

Of course our good man Bob Tasa has made an avenue into adding on to the input options for VT. So a hardware extension to this could be made available. Perhaps with a CX23881 slopping around (in Y/C space) synchronising to the source but out of phase with the NewTek native chipset's efforts.

This doesn't mean that you couldn't bolt on top of what NewTek does with a piece of software to provide the plug-in. However the price of all this, and the desire for low latency would have to be strong enough to have not taken a DV-firewire or iVGA option for VT[4] use.

Not wishing to blast away innovation! The SX8/SX84 option is priced well against patch panels, let alone switchers. However the overall benefit is probably a lot less than the initial jump you get when you get hold of the core VT suite (ie without options like RS8/SX8/genlock-card/SDI or RS8/SX84/SDI).

Jef was aware of the opening when miniBoB was designed, fabricated and made available. However back then, only one input was essentially visible (without daughtercard) but you had all manner of wires bundled together to make the whole patching experience unpleasant either in the field or in a studio.

Patching, switching, M/E and preview or flexible acquisition for post work are all attended to with VT[4] VTPro and SX84 (optionally with SDI). So any alternative should be mindful of whether to target these specific audiences or to ensure that it serves all of them. Just in a scaled down iteration of the NewTek native offering.

Go BoB !

whiskey3
06-04-2006, 01:50 PM
4 input switcher is all I need.

Pete Draves
06-04-2006, 02:06 PM
I seem to think that the 3 inputs to the tricaster are allready available without any extra hardware as the tricaster is basically a vt4. Just a different interface to the card.

anything more than that would require the same guts, without the IO, as the 8/84 we have now.
the cost would be aprox the same. The extra IO circuitry is the minimal cost as the control in the bob would be the same.

Pete?

Demon8
06-04-2006, 04:59 PM
Count me in!!!!!!!!!!

EWallick
06-04-2006, 06:42 PM
I've had one of those MiniBobs for a year or so and I do like it. It's on my second VT[4] whereas on my main VT[4] I use the SX8. The SX8 is for sure much handier than the MiniBob. Are you all aware that the MiniBob has a DV I/O port on it? I haven't used it because I use the Y/C port instead. But it's handy to know it's there for when I do want to use it.....:thumbsup:

Ed

Demon8
06-05-2006, 12:21 AM
Has Pizazz started back producing the MiniBoB yet, bcause they stop for a while.

tfrank
06-05-2006, 01:09 PM
Has Pizazz started back producing the MiniBoB yet, bcause they stop for a while.

I had an email conversation a month or so ago with Pizazz. I was trying to see if I could buy 3 to 4 MiniBobs. From what I can remember of the "conversation" manufacturing ceased, in part, because Newtek was considering producing their own version. Perhaps the fine folks at Pizazz can fill us in.

pmisisco
06-05-2006, 04:50 PM
I guess I'm in the other boat - I'd love an RS-16 to go along with my SX-84. We use the VT4 for live sports production, and would easily fill 10+ inputs between cameras, DDR's, CG... It would be great to be able to have all that at finger's length. But I'll save the details for the "requests" thread. :)

PIZAZZ
06-05-2006, 08:43 PM
Howdy Guys,

Yes we ceased miniBOB production due to Newtek was slated to introduce a version of their own. With the shift to "Live" I believe it was shelved for a while. If I could get enough demand for a miniBOB run I would be more than willing to do it. Email me at sales at pizazzme dot com and let me know if you are interested.

I too would like to have a small SX-3 like the TriCaster to put in our VJLive systems. The SX8 is way overkill for our club clients. Only once have I filled it up. Seamless of course. Normally all we need is 3 camera inputs or 1 camera and 2 Pioneer DVJ DVD players. An SX-3 would do nicely.

I have looked into releasing the miniBOB again but honestly I just don't know how many users are buying the VT for post production anymore and using analog inputs. Firewire seems to be the one all be all solution.

Pmisico, I have developed a RS16 solution for a couple clients if anyone is interested. I just have not seen a large demand for it either so I haven't really pushed it.

Man you go off on tour for a couple weeks and it all breaks loose.

ScorpioProd
06-05-2006, 09:47 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Pete correct?

TriCaster uses simply a VT[4] Pro card to give it three inputs.

Therefore, anyone with a VT[4] Pro card has the same ability with the proper software. So isn't it more a software issue than a hardware issue?

badllarma
06-06-2006, 12:56 AM

Therefore, anyone with a VT[4] Pro card has the same ability with the proper software. So isn't it more a software issue than a hardware issue?

I suppose that depends on how good your electronic skills are :)
It's funny how every one says there is a move to firewire but from the DV cameras I've used I find it very laggy compaired to a decent Y/C input :question:

Thats through using a Y/C from a mini Bob and a camera via a firewire card straight into the PC motherboard. In both my PC's i've used the VT 2 card on, the Y/C is real time and the firewire is still always slow?
And I'm running on a Athlon 4400 x2 dual processor now with 2 gig of RAM ?

whiskey3
06-06-2006, 12:57 AM
Thanks Pizazz...........you can blame me for starting the flame......but I like it:devil:
An SX-4 makes more sense to me....sometimes you need at least 4 cams if you are shooting a play or bigger live event etc. At least you have 4 inputs.
Most PA's are always 2, 4, 6, 8, 16 inputs.

Paul Lara
06-07-2006, 07:37 AM

Since you asked...you're wrong.
There is indeed an SX-3 hardware daughter connection inside TriCaster, Eugene.

ScorpioProd
06-07-2006, 10:46 AM
Interesting... Weird that it's needed since the VT[4] Pro card can also accept three inputs at a time...

chuckd
06-07-2006, 11:34 AM
Doesn't seem weird to me. I would think that the card is nothing more than a fancier version of the breakout cables that ship with the VT.

Bobt
06-07-2006, 12:12 PM
Eugene,
It might need some op amp tech to isolate signals. Maybe..
Bob

ScorpioProd
06-07-2006, 12:17 PM
OH, OK, if it's something that simple then that's not weird. :thumbsup:

It's just calling it an SX-3 implied more hardware to me.

Demon8
06-07-2006, 04:38 PM
Why not offer that SX-3 Daughter Card to VT4 users???????????

Randall Chesbro
06-07-2006, 05:36 PM
Id like to have 4ch switcher. without all the extras just YC in out maybe composite also. audio in out? would be nice but could work around it. Has to be afordable. like 5-$600 or so.

badllarma
06-08-2006, 12:01 AM
So then Bobt when do you start building them :D

KWeaver
06-08-2006, 09:53 PM
>buy a six to eight y/c,
Isnt that an sX8?

Bob

Hi Bob,
I dropped the NO component, just y/c and composite.
Would there be much of a cost savings? Several people see the SX-8 as too much and too costly. They would like more than an SX-3, but less than an SX-8.
Ken Weaver

Bobt
06-09-2006, 04:56 AM
Sx-4?

Demon8
06-09-2006, 08:49 AM
Having the the same amount of outputs as the SX-8 would really be nice!!!!!

whiskey3
06-09-2006, 03:18 PM
Bob I agree an SX-4.....

Videonut
06-13-2006, 07:22 AM
So Bob, with your 3rd Channel package just on the horizon any thoughts on building something like this. All the more reason for the need. I really do wish that Newtek would sell this piece of hardware. If it really is nothing more than a daughter card and is already in production, why not sell it to the VT crowd? Maybe I don't understand the complexity in the VT card interface. But there has been a fairly large following of people asking for this and for quite some time as well.

Videonut
10-31-2007, 05:31 PM
Since you asked...you're wrong.
There is indeed an SX-3 hardware daughter connection inside TriCaster, Eugene.

OK Paul, since you opened the can of worms. Will Newtek ever release a variation of the hardware used in the TriCaster to the public? This thread is old but the subject keeps coming up again and again and again.

Did I say again. Why is Newtek so bent on pushing the Tricaster or the SX84 to people that will never use them but would welcome a small 3-4 input version. Newtek has always been silent on this subject.

What gives?

Thalek
11-06-2007, 03:27 PM
Of I built one would people buy it?
(I used to do hardware a long time ago built a PC card and some other things)

Bob

Depending on price, very likely. :beerchug: The SX-84 is wonderful, but overkill for this hobbyist.

ScorpioProd
11-06-2007, 07:55 PM
Did I say again. Why is Newtek so bent on pushing the Tricaster or the SX84 to people that will never use them but would welcome a small 3-4 input version. Newtek has always been silent on this subject.

What gives?
Ah... Are you forgetting why companies are in business??? :hey: