PDA

View Full Version : Question about the nodal shading system

Weetos
06-02-2006, 05:48 AM
All apologies if this question has already been answered - I searched in all the related thread in vain

Does the new shading system allow to setup a unique node for several surfaces at once ? like, for instance, a prodedural node that I want to use as an input for the diffuse channel of texture 'A' and for the bump channel of texture 'B' ?
From what I saw, it seems that the node editor (is that how it's offically called?) doesn't allow this - but I may be wrong

I thought about this because I just hate when I have to copy/paste 50 times a texture layer or a shader :bangwall: - Having just one node that connects to all the relevant textures would be really great

Anybody? Thanks !

BazC
06-02-2006, 06:08 AM
I don't think there's any way to that yet.

lunarcamel
06-02-2006, 06:17 AM
Thats the whole point of a node based system - I'll have to watch that demo again ...

Maxx
06-02-2006, 08:21 AM
Each node editor is surface-specific. You can't, for instance, create a node tree and apply it to object A, B, D, and E without copying and pasting on each surface.

Weetos
06-02-2006, 08:27 AM
Well I'm a bit disappointed about that, I was expecting a global (scene wise) nodal system :confused:

Hopefully this will be implemented during the 9.x cycle ...

lots
06-02-2006, 08:52 AM
From what I remember about this discussion from the beta boards, with the way LW handles objects and textures and scenes, its not practical for node editor to be able to modify texture data like this.

For example: In LW the texturing information is stored on the object. This means that any nodal based texturing you do is limited to that object. You cant point the node tree to a different object.

In order for a node tree to be global, the texturing data would need to move into the scene file. This would require some significant reworking of the file structure of LW scene files and object files, and likely a rework of the way LW deals with them.

Would the ability of a node tree to modify textures for a variety of objects be good? Yes of course, but is it possible at this time? no...

slatr
06-02-2006, 09:05 AM
If I get a node tree I like, I just save it as a surface file. I load it up on another object, go to nodes and the tree is there.

No what you wanted, but you can save them and reapply to multiple objects.

jm.khayat
06-02-2006, 09:38 AM
One thing that could be done without changing the whole LW system, a sort of workaround, maybe a plug?

Make a preset of the surface you want to copy.
LW already can apply a preset to a multi selection.
So it would be like a checkbox allowing to load the standard part (non nodal) alone, or the nodal part alone, or both.

Not fully what you want, but would save some time I guess.

jm

Weetos
06-02-2006, 09:53 AM
One thing that could be done without changing the whole LW system, a sort of workaround, maybe a plug?

Make a preset of the surface you want to copy.
LW already can apply a preset to a multi selection.
So it would be like a checkbox allowing to load the standard part (non nodal) alone, or the nodal part alone, or both.

Not fully what you want, but would save some time I guess.

jm

This would definately be a good thing indeed

Earl
06-02-2006, 11:34 AM
From what I remember about this discussion from the beta boards, with the way LW handles objects and textures and scenes, its not practical for node editor to be able to modify texture data like this.

For example: In LW the texturing information is stored on the object. This means that any nodal based texturing you do is limited to that object. You cant point the node tree to a different object.

In order for a node tree to be global, the texturing data would need to move into the scene file. This would require some significant reworking of the file structure of LW scene files and object files, and likely a rework of the way LW deals with them.

Would the ability of a node tree to modify textures for a variety of objects be good? Yes of course, but is it possible at this time? no...
While this is completely true, I believe it would be fine to allow one object to reference another objects nodes, while still storing the texturing information in the object format. If you opened up an object outside of the scene where the referenced objects are present, then it would simply display a broken node link and ignore the connection until it was fixed. There are plenty of programs out there that allow links of some sort, and keeping those links in tact is just part of using that feature.

Earl
06-02-2006, 11:37 AM
Well I'm a bit disappointed about that, I was expecting a global (scene wise) nodal system :confused:

Hopefully this will be implemented during the 9.x cycle ...
I was a bit disappointed with this as well - but I have hopes that with the highly positive feedback and response NewTek has received in regards to the node editor that they'll work on it extensively and expand its capabilities to the entire LW system in future versions.

wacom
06-02-2006, 06:50 PM
At first I was confused because the subject is "Question about the nodal shading system".

For shading, unless you want to be able to drive a lot of things by other stuff, nodal is fine- good. But yes- it will be cool when lights, cameras etc. use a nodal system. They might be waiting to see how well people respond to nodal first before making that move though- but so far everyone in beta- including those who before beta didn't want them- agrees that nodal rocks!

lots
06-02-2006, 08:48 PM
I was thinking of that Earl. If they were to impliment "global" node trees, I'd imagine thats how it would happen.. Though it would be pretty annoying not to be able to use the tree if you didnt have the associated object in the same dir :)

EDIT: Though on second thought, the textures being stored in thier own file would be an interesting approach... At least the global ones *shrug*

DragonFist
06-02-2006, 09:08 PM
My beef is that there is no multi-select for object properties so bringing APS settings to multiple objects is a real pain!!

wacom
06-03-2006, 12:21 AM
I think having two kinds of textures- local and global would be good. Or you could group them and apply an override global texture. This would be nice for things like clip maps too (which SHOULD be in the node editor anyway).