PDA

View Full Version : UV trouble

jasonwestmas
05-29-2003, 11:47 AM
So does anyone know anything about MIP mapping "Mipmapping"?
Is there a way to adjust it or use it to your advantage? Is there a way to finely adjust UV's without moving the UV coordinates around?

Julian Johnson
05-29-2003, 02:28 PM
I don't think mipmapping has anything to do with UV mapping. In Lightwave you enable mipmapping by turning Texture Antialiasing on. It helps smooth flickery, strobing or scintillating textures by storing multiple resolutions of the image in memory and then applying the most appropriate one based on the distance from the camera (this is the most that my layman's brain can understand but I'm sure there's a more technical and/or accurate explanation). There are no user adjustable parameters.

The distortions in your UVs look like the normal issues you face when mapping subpatched objects i.e. since Lightwave uses the position of the non-patched points to generate the UV map, when you subpatch the object it pulls those points out of position and distorts the texture. It looks like somthing similar is going on with your export from Zbrush. Scott Cameron's Lightwave tute site has some good stuff on getting round this problem although I don't think OSX users have MeshReknitter (which most of the tutes recommend).

http://members.shaw.ca/lightwavetutorials/Main_Menu.htm

Julian

jasonwestmas
05-29-2003, 02:40 PM
actually I never subpatched this particular model, I only applied smoothing from the surface editor. I'll check out those tutorials you mentioned. I'm beginning to get frustrated with 3D applications in OSX. These things just don't happen in windows. I know OSX is a better machine so I keep thinking it's my fault but recently I begin to think that it's the mac programmers from Newtek that haven't looked into this matter yet. They can't even give us a completed LW 7. I guess LW 8's supposed to fix this problem.

Thanks, you've cleared up some things.

JPWestmas

RobinWood
05-29-2003, 03:37 PM
I have some LW UV Mapping tutorials up on my site, too, if you are interested. Although I don't go into mipmaps or mapping Subpatched objects, there might be something there that will help with the model you are working on.

If you want to look at them, they're here (http://www.robinwood.com/Catalog/Technical/TipsPages/LWUVStart.html).

Just thought I'd mention it.

Julian Johnson
05-29-2003, 04:53 PM
Robin - that has to be (by far) the best set of tutorials on Lightwave's UV mapping tools and workflow that I've seen. Very thorough, highly practical and useful. Puts the manual to shame.

Julian

RobinWood
05-29-2003, 07:00 PM
Thanks, Julian. I'm glad that you like them. :)