PDA

View Full Version : LW and ZA

Nova278
05-29-2003, 11:09 AM
Hi. I'm a PC "dummy" and have trouble understanding computers. I have Zone Alarm installed and am trying to figure out why Lightwave.exe, Modeler.exe, and hub.exe all need internet permissions to work properly. Especially the hub--it keeps demanding server rights. LOL! Is this normal behaviour and should I give them internet rights? (I have for the time being as the programs refused to load up unless I did.) None of my other programs have ever asked for these rights. Even the ones with updaters. What goes on here? Thanks for any help! -Nova278

Macet01
05-29-2003, 11:13 AM
From my understanding of the hub from previous posts is that it connects through tcp/ip protocol. As such, Zone Alarm will go off. Giving the hub the proper permissions under Zone Alarm should clear that right up for you.

Nova278
05-29-2003, 11:19 AM
That was fast! Thanks! Ok, which rights do they need--just internet? And do I need to give them all internet permissions all the time, or just temporarily? How about the Hub's demand for server rights?

SLAYER
05-29-2003, 12:12 PM
I have the same thing and also asked this question when I installed Lightwave. Other rpeople in the forums who also have ZA and LW reccomended that I give all rights to everything.

I have checked all the trusted and internet for the access and server boxes and have had no problems since.

Nova278
05-30-2003, 03:46 AM
Thanks, Slayer! The people over at ZA aren't sure what to do with paint programs, lol! Thank you for your help--I did a search for LW and ZA and couldn't find anything.

Matt
05-30-2003, 04:30 AM
macet01 - wicked avatar!!! :)

Nova278
05-30-2003, 11:54 AM
LOL! Yeah, it is! What is that thing anyway? An "invisible friend" captured in action?

Macet01
05-30-2003, 12:27 PM
I think that you all are assuming that I am the one driving the car when I am actually the passenger...LOL...:D . I don't even remember where I found the avatar. Wish I did.

d|vZilla
05-30-2003, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by Nova278
Hi. I'm a PC "dummy" and have trouble understanding computers. I have Zone Alarm installed and am trying to figure out why Lightwave.exe, Modeler.exe, and hub.exe all need internet permissions to work properly.

Let someone configure your PC who knows what he's doing.

Personal Firewall FAQ (http://www.fefe.de/pffaq/)

iluvatar
06-02-2003, 02:52 AM
LW doesn't need internet acces except for some cracked version with spyware in it.... even if hub uses tcp/ip ZA wouldn't give alarm, cause it's an internal tcp connection. ZA shouldn't giva alarm on such a connection

Nova278
06-02-2003, 11:47 AM
Ok, thanks, I'll turn it off then. I thought it was just an unpdater or something. ZA says some programs need them for libraries or udating. Thanks for the help!!! --Babalon Rose

d|vZilla
06-02-2003, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by iluvatar
LW doesn't need internet acces except for some cracked version with spyware in it....

You wrote that crack? :D

even if hub uses tcp/ip ZA wouldn't give alarm, cause it's an internal tcp connection. ZA shouldn't giva alarm on such a connection

type netstat -a -n
and you will see the listening ports on 0.0.0.0

This means they are listening on _all_ adapters, also dial-up.

The sense or non-sense of personal firewalls I'm not going to discuss here ;)