PDA

View Full Version : just got my LW and vue in the mail

d1wojo
06-01-2006, 12:48 PM
I can't what to dig into all the new stuff:dance: :dance: !!!
I have a question can I put Vue 5 on more than one machine. I would like to put it on my laptop and also my desktop. I read their license and it says one computer, but I have read other license in the past and what some other products ment was one computer working at a time.

Would you guys install Lw 8.5 or jump right to the LW 9 beta?:thumbsup:

StereoMike
06-01-2006, 02:59 PM
You can install it on different machines, but it will only work, if the dongle is attached to the machine.
8.5 or 9? Do you use it for commercial work? Some plugs won't work in 9 (e.g. jettobevel, jettofillet). To make sure you could install 8.5 as a fallback alternative.
Use one content directory for both, that minimizes the mess.

Mike

Signal to Noise
06-01-2006, 03:57 PM
You can install it on different machines, but it will only work, if the dongle is attached to the machine.

That's true for LightWave. However, the question was aimed at Vue. The EULA for Vue states you can only have it installed on a single computer. Since Vue isn't tied to LW's dongle technically you can have the app installed on as many machines as you want. But you'll need to let your moral compass guide you. I skim quickly thru EULAs. ;)

Sans dongle, I prefer the license arrangements such as Macromedia (now Adobe so this may change with future releases) use. Dreamweaver, for instance, allows the user to install the program on two machines: 1 desktop & 1 laptop. Not sure how they can figure that out tho' if they decide to do a check. Adobe, for Photoshop, uses a license transfer wizard so then the app can get transferred from one machine to another. Which can be a pain since an internet connection is required to do the license transfer. It would be nice if e-on goes to one of these methods in the future. We CG "arteests" tend to do work on more than one machine.

Anyway, have fun with your new software!

Silkrooster
06-01-2006, 04:22 PM
Yeah I prefer a license that will allow multiple computers as well. But I wouldn't have any problems if they all use the lw dongle, since I use it anyways.
Silk

cresshead
06-01-2006, 05:39 PM
i'm waiting for vue to turn up..is it just a serial number? [like xsi foundation]
or is it a software key like 3dsmax?

Silkrooster
06-01-2006, 06:14 PM
Its been awhile, but I beleive there is a number on the cd jacket you type in, register the software via the net, then you get an email with the perminate number.
Silk

StereoMike
06-02-2006, 05:47 AM
oops, sorry, didn't knew it runs without dongle.

starbase1
06-02-2006, 07:04 AM
I think that a (robust) dongle is actually a very fair way of managing these things. In effect it means that you have a portable copy, which is convenient, but you can only run one copy per dongle at a time...

Nick

don_culbertson
06-02-2006, 05:06 PM
According to the following link you can install Vue on both a desktop and a laptop so long as you only use one at a time.

http://www.e-onsoftware.com/support/ShowMessage.php?id=1111766197&stage=-1&chooseCategoryPage=&categoryName=&category=&subCategory=&superCategory=

T-Light
06-02-2006, 06:52 PM
Forgive me for sounding Newby, (wouldn't be the first time :D ), but I didn't think Vue was tied to the dongle at all, I thought it was just tied to your LW registration.

Ignore me if I'm wrong.

StereoMike
06-02-2006, 06:54 PM
That's exactly how it is. I was the only one who didn't knew...