PDA

View Full Version : JPEG files again

nelson3d
06-01-2006, 11:34 AM
I canīt use any jpeg image neither as a backdrop or texture in Modeler or Layout. The input output folder in the plugins directory really have a jpeg.p file along with a png.p file. LW opens a png file and canīt read a jpeg file. I never saw an application running in Windows XP that canīt see jpeg files and, for sure LW is not that one. So, whats wrong?
Thanks for any help.

robewil
06-01-2006, 11:39 AM
This may be a silly question but did you actually install the plug-in or just verify that it's in the plugin folder?

nelson3d
06-01-2006, 11:50 AM
Robewil,

maybe that'īs not a silly question, since Iīm quite new to Lightwave. In all other packages that I use, the installation of the program installs the image filters, but maybe....
Should I reinstall the program or there is another way?
Thank you

robewil
06-01-2006, 12:00 PM
In both Layout and Modeler, go to the Utilities tab. Click the Add Plugins button. A file requester will appear. Go to the input-output directory and select all the files and open. This will install all the input-output plug-ins. While you're at it, go to the other folders and install those plug-ins as well.

Again, do this in Layout and Modeler.

toby
06-01-2006, 01:35 PM
Better that you don't use JPGs with Lightwave anyway. They cause instability, and sacrifice quality too. PNG is the best format to use, and also supports 8-bit color, which can save lots of texture memory.

StereoMike
06-01-2006, 02:58 PM
Never had any problems with jpeg. Just make sure, you added all plugins.
I use png too, if possible (e.g. generating images in photoshop by myself), but it's not necessary to convert jpgs from e.g. texture cds to use them in LW.

Mike

Exception
06-01-2006, 05:35 PM
You also dont need to scan for plugins in both applications. Open up one of them, scan for plugins, and close it. They should be added in the other too, Don't forget to reset your menus.

Tesselator
06-01-2006, 07:47 PM
Actually you don't need to scan any longer AT ALL. :D

That's right LW now autoscans plug-ins by default every
time you run it!

You can also turn this feature off if you don't want it
doing that.

toby
06-01-2006, 10:26 PM
Never had any problems with jpeg. Just make sure, you added all plugins.
I use png too, if possible (e.g. generating images in photoshop by myself), but it's not necessary to convert jpgs from e.g. texture cds to use them in LW.

Mike
No it's not neccessary, but it is better without them.
I've had problems that were a direct result of JPGs, they're not allowed where I work, and several people here on the forums have solved their problems by switching -
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50921
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47675&highlight=JPG
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45559&highlight=JPG
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37074&page=2&highlight=JPG

Exception
06-02-2006, 12:05 AM
Actually you don't need to scan any longer AT ALL. :D

That's right LW now autoscans plug-ins by default every
time you run it!

You can also turn this feature off if you don't want it
doing that.

Like, if you don't want your LW cluttered with buggy Legacy plugins, or when you don't want the 30 second startup delay, or when LW crashes because of a faulty plugin. And this is only in lw 9 ladies and gentlemen, which makes it pretty irrelevant here.

toby
06-02-2006, 12:52 AM
Like, if you don't want your LW cluttered with buggy Legacy plugins, or when you don't want the 30 second startup delay, or when LW crashes because of a faulty plugin. And this is only in lw 9 ladies and gentlemen, which makes it pretty irrelevant here.
You're just a ray of sunshine today, aren't you? :grumpy:

Exception
06-02-2006, 03:18 AM
Just trying to balance out the scales in terms of the boundless fantastic-wow-super-bestthingunderthesun-therehasneverbeenabetterpieceofsoftwareEVER reactions on lw 9 outside of the beta forums. It's a good program, but the propaganda is just going up the wrong alley. Creating anticipation and excitement is fine, but you need to be honest about both sides of the story. If Tess wants to be the sun, I'll be the moon.

nelson3d
06-03-2006, 05:16 AM
"Better that you don't use JPGs with Lightwave anyway. They cause instability, and sacrifice quality too. PNG is the best format to use, and also supports 8-bit color, which can save lots of texture memory".

"Never had any problems with jpeg. Just make sure, you added all plugins.
I use png too, if possible (e.g. generating images in photoshop by myself), but it's not necessary to convert jpgs from e.g. texture cds to use them in LW".

So it seems that, unlike every app around, LW 8 canīt handle jpegīs... Something is wrong here. Example: Dan Ablanīs book, relly all its images in this "non acceptable" jpg format instead of the PNG recomended. Some people say "never use jpeg", others use it always, "no problem"... Something is very wrong here. For me, the only file format LW accepts is tga, good, but big format. Untill I solve this, not even think of LW9, although the edge manipulation seems wonderfull. And the reason is simple: how many more of that "surprises" will find? I have others 3D apps but even still learning LW Iīm sure its the best of all, so my preoccupation....

Exception
06-03-2006, 09:04 AM
Nelson,
I dont think many people have problems with the image formats. But if you cannot load them at all, you just need to scan for plugins, that's all. I can tell you there are currently hardly any bug reports about image formats watsoever. It is one of the best applications in terms of image format support. What was voiced here was personal preference, don't worry about it.

Make sure modeler is not running. Open layout, go to 'utilities' tab, under 'additional' choose 'edit plugins', a panel opens up, a few plugins will already be present, but hit the 'scan for plugins' button, and select the 'plugins' folder in your lighwave folder. It will search for a while, then tell you it found X plugins.
Open up the Edit > 'Edit menu layout', and at the top switch to 7.5 style and then back to default, this will reset the menus to include all the plugins. Now close layout to save the configs.

This happened probably because your configuration files were accidentally erased. They reside in your personal data folder. If they get erased, lw loses its configs, and you need to do this. There's goo reasons for it and is actually a good system. you can back up those config files and edit them by hand too.

adrian
06-03-2006, 12:13 PM
In my experience, I only had problems with JPG files was when I was using very texture-intensive models.... because JPEGS within LW use a lot more memory compared to PNG.

I recently posted a PDF file(http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50921&page=2) that goes into great depth about image formats (and the best use of them) in LW.

Toby is right... best not to use JPGs at all.