PDA

View Full Version : VT to Flash ???

KenBennett
06-01-2006, 09:03 AM
I want to update my website videos with Flash videos. I want smooth, clean looking clips. What are the tools of choice that will make my life simple?

I'm looking at Sorenson Squeeze 4.3 which appears to be nothing more than a mulit format encoder with lots of bells and whistles. And Macromedia Flash 8 Pro which appears to be an encoder and player.

The end result is to simply to have the visitor click on a button/link and have a very nice video pop up and start playing.

Your thought, pros and cons of each package, or what other choices are there?

Thanks.

robewil
06-01-2006, 09:32 AM
As far as encoding to flash video format, this is a feature in the upcoming SpeedEdit program which will be included in the VT[5] upgrade as the replacement for VT-Edit and as a stand-alone editor.

KenBennett
06-01-2006, 10:28 AM
So. if I can wait for SpeedEdit/VT[5], why waste my money on Sorenson or Flash 8?

Do we know what encoding options the Flash output will provide?

tmon
06-01-2006, 10:34 AM
I've been using Sorenson Squeeze 4.3 for FLV transcoding, and am very happy with it. It does batch encoding/transcoding, which I'm not sure SpeedEdit will do. I can target a folder with a bunch of files and let it do the transcoding overnight. Sometimes I do over 200 videos (:30's) at a time.

The "bells and whistles" are useful for transcoding to a good looking product.
Things like brightness/contrast/cropping/deinterlacing/VBR/adjustable Bit Rate/custom presets, etc., come in handy when you want a quality result.

I've used Wildform too, but I don't think the transcodes look as good. Sorenson also is capable of using the On2 VP codec, which is about as good as it gets for Flash Video today. For me, the biggest thing is the batch transcoding. If you only have a few videos to do at a time, there are other products like Riva VX that might be good enough for you (or wait and see what SpeedEdit can do).

As far as the "push a button/link," that's on the HTML end of things, and I can't help you there.

robewil
06-01-2006, 10:50 AM
Do we know what encoding options the Flash output will provide?I think you'll have to wait for a specific answer from Paul Lara on this. In SpeedEdit, there is a configure button next to the area where you select your output codec. I imagine that if you select "Flash", the configuration options will be the breadth of whatever the codec allows but I can't say for sure.

Ivan
06-01-2006, 12:43 PM
the configuration options will be the breadth of whatever the codec allows

This is not currently the case as Paul points out in this thread: http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51681

Ivan

robewil
06-01-2006, 01:18 PM
This is not currently the case as Paul points out in this thread: http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51681

IvanAs I also stated, I don't know for sure. The thread you linked refers to VT[4] and wmv encoding while we are discussing Speed Edit and Flash encoding.

I can say this, though. At NAB, Paul showed me the screen showing the configuration options for the MPEG-2 encoder in Speed Edit. It looked fairly robust. I can only hope that we'll see such configuration options for all the codecs.

Ivan
06-01-2006, 02:23 PM
Didn't mean to pick on you, just that Paul said that all the WMV encoding options are not available in VT as they are in WME. It is possible that they will have a similar "basic" encoder for Flash in Speed Edit.

As you pointed out, Newtek is the one that needs to answer this.

Ivan

PS. I can only hope that if Newtek includes an MPG2 encoder they also include network render capability for this (like the latest version of Compressor) or you will be able to do about one project a year on your laptop...

robewil
06-01-2006, 02:27 PM
Don't worry. I didn't take offense. :)

Speed Edit definitely comes with it's own MPEG encoder. There was no mention of a network rendering option with it, however.

jhellein
06-17-2006, 07:31 PM
:help: I am having a lot of trouble with Sorenson converting avis rendered in VT-Edit -- standard length is just under 30 minutes. Sometimes it works, sometimes no -- it always takes several tries which is quite frustrating. Please provide any tips / tricks to what type of file I should be providing to Sorenson out of VT4. I have been using uncompressed and have tried both fielded and progressive formats. On the verge of looking for a new encoder if I can't get Sorenson (4.3) to be more reliable. Thanks in advance for any help!

ScorpioProd
06-17-2006, 11:42 PM
Have you tried rendering it to Type-2 DV from VT-Edit? For a compressed format, that one is the most universal.

jhellein
06-18-2006, 05:58 AM
No. Isn't "best practice" to use uncompressed going into an encoder to get the best results coming out? I will render with the DV codec today and see how it works. Thanks...