PDA

View Full Version : Edge bevel fixed in 9?

Werner
06-01-2006, 07:34 AM
I'm just frustrated with LW 8.5 at the moment...Can anyone confirm if Edgebevel was fixed in LW 9.
When you edgebevel multiple edges/points in LW 8.5, it adds funny geometry where you don't want it.

have a look here...

colkai
06-01-2006, 09:14 AM
Where points are concerend that's not a bug, it's just the way it works, you are bevelling both the two rims and the intermediate edges. The same thing would happen with rounder as all points are connected.
I'm pretty sure the same would happen in other packages too

EDIT: Just tried in hex, it won't allow you to bevel points

Don't have my dongle handy so can't say about the edges in LW.

Lewis
06-01-2006, 09:43 AM
Hi Werner !

As colkai mentioned that's not bug, more like "useles" feature except in some rare situations where you might need that beahviour :). I'm more worried about bug what cause offset move at point standing at open edge when oyu try to use edge bevel. Same that problem with open edges have Rounder tool also :(. At leaset in 8.x :)

But solution for thing you are trying/showing is to select all polygons at top (select two near and hit select loop) and use multishift tool and you will get same look without extra need to weld/merge points :).

Werner
06-01-2006, 10:46 AM
The gif image I posted was just an example. I know multishift would fix my problem in that case.
In LW 8.5 you can't select edges. That is what I want to know. Does Edgebevel work the way it should in LW 9? In any other 3d aplication out there, an edgebevel will give results like the last image in the gif example...it does not matter if the two loops are right next to each other.

Edgebevel should be able to bevel any edge, with the option to ad segments to give an nice round edge. Combine the edgebevel and rounder into one tool in other words.

I should have explained better in the first post.

Maxx
06-01-2006, 10:54 AM
Quick test shows edge bevel in 9 to be acting exactly as in 8.5. In the case shown, though, couldn't you just use MultiShift set to group polygons as a bevel? I've actually re-mapped 'b' with MultiShift as it's rendered standard basically obsolete for the way that I work (or at least has so far...).

BazC
06-01-2006, 11:02 AM
If you select edges and use edge bevel you will get the result you want, if you select points and use edge bevel it will do exactly the same as in 8.

Werner
06-01-2006, 11:06 AM
thanks for the quick reply Maxx! :thumbsup:

Like I said, Multishift would work in that particular situation, but it was just an example. Just wanted to know if edgebevel was reworked for true edges in LW 9. It is sad that it still behaves the same as in LW 8.x.
I really don't see the need for edges in any application if you can't bevel them correctly.

Werner
06-01-2006, 11:10 AM
What? which one is it then? Maxx just confirmed similar results as in LW 8.5

Maxx
06-01-2006, 11:11 AM
Baz - does it work for you? I tried it in build 12 with edges selected and the result was exactly what Werner posted in his gif. I'll see if I can find some time to do up an animated gif or cam screengrab as well.

ericsmith
06-01-2006, 11:16 AM
If you select edges and use edge bevel you will get the result you want, if you select points and use edge bevel it will do exactly the same as in 8.

Sorry, not true.

At this point, edges in modeler don't seem to be anything more than window dressing, at least as far as the original toolset is concerned. The only tools that treat edges any differently than performing the operation on the verticies of the edges in point mode are some of the new ones like Dissolve.

Eric

Werner
06-01-2006, 11:23 AM
Here is an example done in Modo.
Maxx can you use a similar object to keep it simple...that is, if you have time to do a quick animated example.

BazC
06-01-2006, 11:25 AM
My apologies, I could have sworn I'd done this and it worked correctly. Sadly it doesn't! :( Bear in mind that edges are far from finished and it may well be working correctly when 9.0 is released.

Maxx
06-01-2006, 11:29 AM
Werner - with the last example you posted (the simple cylander), LW edge bevel works like modo - basically, as expected. The problem comes in when you use an object similar to the first one you posted, with a hole - check it out...

http://www.maxxwv.com/stuff/edge_bevel_vid.htm

(p.s. - quality of the vid isn't great, but I had a couple minutes during lunch. Tried first just doing the edge bevel, then undoing the op and deselecting some edges, reselecting them and running through it again.)

And yeah, as Baz said - edges definately still seem to be under construction and moving quickly forward, so it may work this way by RC 1 or 2...

KillMe
06-01-2006, 11:32 AM
edges are more than window dressing - its just msot of the tools dont knwo what to do with them yet but if you use extender in point mode and select some edges it will only miss a section if you miss a point whihc is of cource then missing 2 edges - with edges it works correctly

Werner
06-01-2006, 11:41 AM
a friend just told me over the phone, that he did a quick test with LW 9 and got the same results as with LW 8.5. When you edgebevel two edges next to each other it screws it up, but if there is more segments between them, it works the way it should. Thanks for the effort tho Maxx :)

I seriously hope these things work once I get my hands on my upgrade...or at least anytime in the nnear future.

Maxx
06-01-2006, 11:47 AM
**complete speculation** I wouldn't be surprised if the issue is fixed by the time 9.0 goes gold. If not, I would be truly surprised if 9.1 didn't fix it.**end speculation** I joined the beta at v10, and the amount of work the dev team has put in just in the last two iterations is, imo, staggering.

ericsmith
06-01-2006, 11:51 AM
It's true that there are a few tools that edges sort of work with. But unfortunately, it seems to me that all of the ones that would really take advantage of edges like rounder or edge bevel, don't.

Extender is kind of a bad example, because of the free third party extender tools out there that work so much better than the default ones, and don't take advantage of edges. Not that I expect them to until they're re-worked, but the bottom line is that I think it's going to take a while for edge mode to really work in a practical manner.

Eric

KillMe
06-01-2006, 12:18 PM
none of the 3rd parties ones work better than teh standard one now - it works with edge and polys and points what more can you ask for?

erikals
06-01-2006, 12:35 PM
In this case I guess selecting the top polys and hitting Ctrl+B should be a quickfix, getting something like Mobo though would be nice, or PolyBoost for Max, which I feature-requested earlier.

BazC
06-01-2006, 12:39 PM
In this case I guess selecting the top polys and hitting Ctrl+B should be a quickfix, getting something like Mobo though would be nice, or PolyBoost for Max, which I feature-requested earlier.

Now you're talking, something similar to Polyboost would be FANTASTIC! I've been drooling over that plugin for ages! :D

erikals
06-01-2006, 12:46 PM
Getting a bit off topic here, but for the ones interested,
www.polyboost.com
Don't get how they managed to go as low as 96$, now, if only "Maks" was cheaper... but it ain't :)

ericsmith
06-01-2006, 12:51 PM
none of the 3rd parties ones work better than teh standard one now - it works with edge and polys and points what more can you ask for?

FI's extender allows you to select a bunch of points on a mesh with the lasso tool, and it will intelligently find just the edge points of the mesh and extend them in the proper order. This is so much faster than having to select just the edge points you want to extend in the proper order by hand.

Extender and Extender plus will both extrude geometry out of the middle of a mesh. This is not usually what I want to do.

Eric

pixelranger
06-08-2006, 05:53 AM
lw 8.5: just BandSaw the polygon-row between the loops with default settings, use edgebevel (now it works as it should) and use bandGlue to unify the 2 rows of polygons that were the result of BandSaw.