PDA

View Full Version : LW 9: Fundamentals of Rigging!

SplineGod
06-01-2006, 03:38 AM
Lightwave 9: Fundamentals of Rigging.

This is six hours of training in Lightwave 9 going thru the fundamentals of rigging to advanced rigging concepts. This is Volume 1 in a series that will be replacing the rigging module from my character course. I am breaking the material down into smaller, more affordable sections. This particular CD will cover specifically 12 principles that go into making a good rig and then covers in detail various ways to do it in Lightwave. This also includes coverage of new features in LW9 that improve character rigging. This will have coverage on IKBoost. Read more about whats covered here:
http://www.3dtrainingonline.com/fundamentals_of_rigging_vol1.html
Until Lightwave 9 is officialy released Im offering the CD at $20.00 off.

As a result of this new material I have heavily discounted my current character course by $50 per module or $200.00 for the full course.
http://www.3dtrainingonline.com/professionalcharacterseries.htm

This will ship when Lightwave 9 is officially released.

I have a quick demo of a rig from the course material that you can download here: http://www.3dtrainingonline.com/examples/char_rig_demo.zip
I had to reduce the frame rate to keep the filesize to something downloadable. The actual speed of the rig is much faster then in the video. :)

evenflcw
06-01-2006, 05:38 AM
Looks nice, Larry. I love watching rig demonstrations!

EDIT:
Nevermind the issues I was having before. Problem was on my end.

SplineGod
06-01-2006, 07:13 AM
Thanks! :) The rig is a alot of fun to use and very poseable. I also like the easy proxy object switching. :)

ScottSullivan
06-01-2006, 08:31 AM
Larry, I just ordered this first volume. I always loved the way you teach.

That's a great video. The proxy switch is one of those little 'hidden gems.' I saw that in the video and the two button "toggle" you created. Very clever. Looking forward to watching the course!

SplineGod
06-01-2006, 12:56 PM
Thanks Scott :)
I think LWs got some nice features under the hood. I think youll be pleasantly surprised at how easy it is to setup that and a few other things. :)

cresshead
06-01-2006, 02:02 PM
just started to watch your quadroped rigging video training and i'm VERY impressed..some really nice background stuff in there and eye opening explanations of just 'HOW' bones operate with geometry deformations within lightwave...interesting stuff!

Essential for thouse who want to really 'get it in their head' and truly understand rigging f rom the ground up.

excellent stuff and i'm only on video3!

cresshead
06-01-2006, 02:37 PM
just watched your sample rig demo video on this new rigging course.
excellent stuff!..love the switcher!

Q.in this new course or following video courses will you be covering any aspects of rigging/animating via motion capture at all? [i've just bought 1000 mo cap files] for 3dsmax biped but would like to use them in lw also if possible.

SplineGod
06-01-2006, 05:39 PM
Thanks for the comments Steve. I hate it when training material ONLY shows fluff or cook book aproaches to things so I figure that most others would too. I think its important to have a fundamental understanding of whats going on because things built upon the right premise usually turns out better and more stable.

I love that switcher too. I really like how easy it is to setup too. LWs always surprising me.
I will be covering how to deal with mocap. Im leaning more towards covering it in my Rigging and Animating with IKBoost tutorial (in the works) only because IKB is easier to deal with for something like Mocap. Im still doing a bit of research on the best ways to deal with it without resorting to external apps. :)

cresshead
06-01-2006, 06:02 PM
hi larry

re motion capture in future videos:-

i got a free converter app that can convert umf mo cap files into lightwave lws files as well as bvh file drop me line if you want to take a look...
hope i'm not taking your thread off topic too much!

anyways here's a screen grab of the converter and what it can output to a scene file and here's the lightwave scene it made with everything switched ON!

.lws mo cap scene

SplineGod
06-01-2006, 06:05 PM
Hi Steve, Thanks for that. Very interesting.
Drop me an email, Id like to discuss this further. :)

UnCommonGrafx
06-01-2006, 06:28 PM
Questions:
Will you be teaching cycling with Relativity and character animation?
Will you also offer a Maestro Panel with this puppy?
Discounts available for those with the previous series?
When is this gonna be ready?

I really like that you are incorporating Relativity in your rigging; I'll buy for that reason, alone.
The teaser vid is quite cool. I can imagine using it with maestro, to be sure.

SplineGod
06-01-2006, 06:44 PM
Will you be teaching cycling with Relativity and character animation?
Yes but just how to rig it. Volume 1 deals with setting up a rig from the standpoint animating.

Will you also offer a Maestro Panel with this puppy?
Hadnt thought of that but Ill look into it :)

Discounts available for those with the previous series?
Yes, contact me for details.

When is this gonna be ready?
As soon as LW9 is officially released.

I really like that you are incorporating Relativity in your rigging; I'll buy for that reason, alone.
The teaser vid is quite cool. I can imagine using it with maestro, to be sure. Relativity really gets around some issues that the current expression/motion modifiers system has with IK, RPR and affecting IK chains. I think its important to show these things in terms of improving rigging. I think the idea of including a maestro panel with it is a great one. Thanks! :)

UnCommonGrafx
06-01-2006, 07:08 PM
Great to hear!

More pennies to be saved to be spent...

UnCommonGrafx
06-01-2006, 07:18 PM
Another question (suggestion):
Have you/will you give us a look at Relativity Sliders?

SplineGod
06-01-2006, 07:27 PM
Yup :)

GregMalick
06-01-2006, 07:58 PM
Hi Larry,

Is this your training with the new facial rig (I think using IKB).
You know, like in that other thread you started that included an avi.
Mostly jaw & eyebrow movement as I recall.

:D

SplineGod
06-01-2006, 08:14 PM
I will definately be covering that facial rig but probably not in this particular video. This one covers mainly things to make a rig poseable, stable and animatable.
I will *probably* cover it in the IKBoost video that I am also working on though I may work it into this one if theres room. My current rigging material is about 21 hours. Im breaking that down into more bite sized sections. Even though this one will include some IKBoost (mostly how to blend it with traditional rigging), I it deserves its own section where it focuses on rigging and animating JUST using IKB. I want to allow people a chance to purchase just the parts they feel they need or just want an affordable way to go thru the topic. :)

If you like the quadruped video this goes into much more detail. Like I said it focuses on what makes up a good rig and then goes into how to do it.
Thats why Im debating on where and when to include things like that facial rig. Since this one is focusing on the animation aspects of rigging
Im doing another that focuses more on the deformation aspects of rigging. Then IKBoost gets it own video. :)

Another thing I wanted to mention. Even though this is Fundamentals of Rigging its not about making simplistic rigs. Theres enough free stuff on doing that already IMO.
When I say fundamentals it means the basic requirements that any rig in any app should adhere to to make it poseable, stable, animateable and FUN to use. From
there it goes into what has to be done in LW to achieve it. Doing so eventually gets into more advanced topics and possibly some 3rd party plugins.