PDA

View Full Version : Best way to sell Lightwave (6 and 7) and how much?

VWTornado
05-29-2003, 09:33 AM
I'm thinking of selling my copy of Lightwave and wanted to see how much its worth. I have the full box from Newtek for Lightwave 6 and Lightwave 7. I also have the updates for 6.5 and 7.5b and 7.5c. These are all PC versions only. They are educational versions (full versions, but can't be used for commercial purposes). I have had Lightwave for a couple years now and really like the program, but almost never use it. I feel I keep updating but never using it. I have 10 Lightwave videos, 8 books on Lightwave and a few other goodies. I have Inside Lightwave 6 (w/ CD), Inside Lightwave 7 (w/ CD), Digital Cinematography and Directing, LightWave 3D 7.0 Character Animation (With CD-ROM), Digital Texturing & Painting, Digital Lighting & Rendering and a couple others (not at home and can't remember). I also have 10 Class on Demand NTSC VHS videos for LW6.5 by Dan Ablan (would be fine for LW7 also). I basically have all the 6.5 videos. I have A LOT of money invested in all this stuff, but I never really use it cause I don't have time. I think I'm gonna concentrate on childrens book illustration now...I'm on a PC too much during the day as it is (I'm a video editor/AFX animator for a political ad agency). Any advice would be great.

edit:
FYI, I have about $500 in books and videos, and I spent $900 for Lightwave 6 (about 2 years ago when LW retailed for $2500), then another $400 for the update to LW7 and I have the downloaded updates for 7.5b and c. I also have Swift 3D-LW plugin ($300).

Castius
05-29-2003, 04:33 PM
Have you looked into using ebay. Just make sure you put non-commercial use in the subject.

Lynx3d
05-29-2003, 04:53 PM
Hm have you ever looked in >there< (http://vbulletin.newtek.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=54) ?

But i'm not sure if you can actually sell educational versions legally...i mean in a way that the buyer actually has the right to use it.

VWTornado
05-29-2003, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by Lynx3d
Hm have you ever looked in >there< (http://vbulletin.newtek.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=54) ?

But i'm not sure if you can actually sell educational versions legally...i mean in a way that the buyer actually has the right to use it.

I dont understand why you wouldn't be able to sell an educational version??? I mean I could call Newtek and pay some amount and it wouldn't be considered commercial anymore. Why can't the person who buys it from me do the same thing if they wanna use it commercially? Oh well, maybe I'll just keep Lightwave and use the box as a pallete for my paintings. :rolleyes:

Wade
05-29-2003, 09:48 PM
VWT,

If I am not mistaken once an educational version has been upgrade to the next release you have yourself a full viable commercial copy! With all that resource material your have I am sure someone would like to make you an offer. If I was getting into Lightwave now I would make one.

For me it was worth sticking with and learning as my value to the company I work for has about doubled (almost), as I have added that skill and knowledge to what I have to offer them.

If you have run into any specific walls in learning Lightwave well here is the place to get past those quick just ask and you will have any number of folk offering their solutions.

As for selling it - well I would guess you could get about .30 on the dollar for what you have spent, so keeping may be the way to go. Just a quess.

Wade

electroNIX
05-30-2003, 07:14 AM
maybe your company could buy the most of it for somebody else or as a "resource" for the future... or try to have some announcement on a bulletin board at your local art school or tech school... maybe even a "normal" college...

VWTornado
05-30-2003, 08:17 AM
Thanks for the replies everyone...I talked with my girlfriend last night and she thinks I should just keep Lightwave and take some more time to learn it. I guess I'm just frustrated cause I haven't been able to model any of my characters to animate them yet. Everytime I model one some issue comes up during modeling that I dont know how to fix. I guess with this forum, and Lightwave Group ( www.lwg3d.org ) someone can probably tell me what to do about the artifacts and such in my models. Again, thanks for the replies...Lightwave seems to have a great community behind it, so I guess I'll stick with it and see what I can do.

And you are right about being a bigger assest with the more tools you know.

Lynx3d
05-30-2003, 08:32 AM
Oh yea i'm working on some characters for months now too...
There's just so much to learn, modeling stuff like cloth and hair, texturing everything, rigging...
i guess it could all be done easier if you buy all those nice plugins like ACS4, G2, Sasquatch etc, but i simply don't have the money for that, and then sometimes it does get frustrating if you want to get close to the quality of the good guys around here...

Hervé
05-31-2003, 02:27 AM
[QUOTE]I talked with my girlfriend last night and she thinks I should just keep Lightwave and take some more time to learn it.

..... You see, we have a lucky man here.... my wife is kinda opposite of your girlfriend... she does not even want to see 3D stuff, and wish the computer would go on fire.... ha ha...!!

Titus
05-31-2003, 09:30 AM
The Lightwave widows.

manfriday
06-01-2003, 08:07 AM
I am pretty certain that you have the comercail version now.
Once you pay the 400 bucks to upgrade you supposedly have the full commercial product.

Just keep lightwave though dude.. keep trying.

Hervé
06-01-2003, 11:33 PM
.... right, at least you'll get an "A" for trying...