PDA

View Full Version : X-Dof on Mac No good..? Or..?

ArneK
02-17-2003, 05:11 PM
Some time ago I heard that X-Dof on Mac was terribly buggy, slow and not worth the cash. Is this still the case with the latest revision?

I'd like to buy it and would like to hear from other Mac users who are running the latest version on OSX.

How is it to use in regards of rendering time, and do you have to pump up the aliasing to get any decent results from it?

Thanks!
Arne :)

Darth Mole
02-18-2003, 09:26 AM
Dunno who said that but they were wrong. I always found it to be solid and bug-free right from the outset (maybe they were thinking of LW's Digital Confusion, which is pretty lame).

X-Dof 2.0 is excellent, and used by a number of companies in professional productions. The preview function is very useful, and generally the results are fast and lovely. You get good results on low AA, and they just get better the higher you go.

Bear in mind this is a post-processing pixel-filter and so it's not perfect. Very occasionally you get some edges which look too sharp, or there are minor artefacts - but this IS rare.

If you do photoreal stuff, it's a must-buy.

ArneK
02-18-2003, 09:40 AM
Thanks. Just what I hoped to hear. :)

Yup, it is a must-have for photoreal stuff.

murdoch
02-18-2003, 07:14 PM
Greetings All,

anyone have any experience using it for Hi Res stills - eg. 3000 x 4000pxl - i was interested after the fiasco of (the aptly named) Digital Confusion and mailed (the aptly named) Evasion with the query - no response - so i left it.

i'd be interested if it was workable at the afore mentioned sizes.

anyone?

Darth Mole
02-19-2003, 02:45 PM
Not tried it at that res, but I have no reason to think it won't work.

The only thing you have to watch is that X-Dof needs you to render in a single segment - I just hope 1) you have loads of RAM, and 2) you're not running under OS 9 :-)

ArneK
02-19-2003, 03:01 PM
How is X-Dof in regards of multithreading? I know some plugins doesn't like that very much.

policarpo
02-19-2003, 08:57 PM
hey ArneK...just wanted to say I love your work. :)