PDA

View Full Version : How many young people do we have?

ShawnStovall
05-31-2006, 06:58 PM
For a while I thought I was the only person under 20 on this forum until just recently I saw a whole bunch of kids my age pop up. So how many people under 20 do we have here?

esper8
05-31-2006, 07:24 PM
I`m 46 and innumerate

Panikos
05-31-2006, 07:39 PM
A number doesnt indicate skills/knowledge/maturity :stumped:

Virtual Mind
05-31-2006, 07:54 PM
I'm 15...

Silkrooster
05-31-2006, 08:05 PM
True so true
Silk

Titus
05-31-2006, 10:43 PM
I'm 33 (34 in next week) but I feel like a teenager :).

oDDity
06-01-2006, 01:30 AM

I think it certianly does. All artists and musicians become better with experience and maturity.
Age doesn't indicate matuity, but knowledge and skill certainly take years to achieve, and you're always getting better and learning more the longer you do it.
You never see teenagers posting really great works of art.
None of the great artists or musicians did their best work as teenagers.

Panikos
06-01-2006, 02:14 AM
Hehe, you are right.
Everything is relative.
Of course an older person, under the preconditions of oppotunities, luck, interest gained more knowledge.
I was borned and the TVSet was black and white, the neighbouring colourful summer cinema for me was a miracle.
Babies today want cellurar phones before they walk.
I mean education has changed and older people follow knowledge with diminishing apetite.

What I ment is there are some people that born "old" and there are some people that die "children"

colkai
06-01-2006, 02:43 AM
My missus says I act like a big kid, does that count? :p

WhiteBoy
06-01-2006, 03:15 AM
I'm 19. Is that young enough?

ACLOBO
06-01-2006, 12:05 PM
What about Mozart? He was a kid doing great things.

-Adrian

p.s. by the way I am 34 and have always been a kid at heart but lately, I am feeling older.

Matt
06-01-2006, 12:33 PM
32, 33 in September, I can't get out of a chair without going "Ahhhhhhghhh!!!" or get into one without going "Oooooohhhhaaaaaa!!!!"

aurora
06-01-2006, 12:35 PM
I'm only 25!

err well several times

Weetos
06-01-2006, 01:43 PM
I'm only 25!

err well several times

lol how many times? :D

TheDynamo
06-01-2006, 01:49 PM
Ripe ol age of 31 :)

-Dyn

aurora
06-01-2006, 02:07 PM
ummm, more times then a couple of these others are the first time around:cry:

Lightwolf
06-01-2006, 02:10 PM
35 - once. And you guys make me feel like an old geezer...

Cheers,
Mike

Emfrobia
06-01-2006, 02:14 PM
I'm 13, just like u ShawnStovall. Seems like we're a bit outnumbered here... but whatever lol.

ShawnStovall
06-01-2006, 02:23 PM
If I keep on posting like I do I'll quickly outnumber them in post!:thumbsup:

Lightwolf
06-01-2006, 02:45 PM
If I keep on posting like I do I'll quickly outnumber them in post!:thumbsup:
True, you're at 2.56 posts per day, I'm only at 2.52... ;)

The question is: Counting our posts, and looking at the rate of posts, how many years will it take you to catch up ;)

Cheers,
Mike

oDDity
06-01-2006, 02:51 PM
32, 33 in September, I can't get out of a chair without going "Ahhhhhhghhh!!!" or get into one without going "Oooooohhhhaaaaaa!!!!"

Yeah, and what about all that extra hair which keeps growing from everywhere...except where you actually want it.

hrgiger
06-01-2006, 05:50 PM
Age doesn't indicate matuity, but knowledge and skill certainly take years to achieve, and you're always getting better and learning more the longer you do it.
You never see teenagers posting really great works of art.
None of the great artists or musicians did their best work as teenagers.

Well, first of all, I commonly see teenagers making great works of art. My girlfriend teaches traditional art as well as graphic arts at the high school level and I'm often amazed at some of the work her students do. Is it hanging in a museum? No, of course not. I hope that's not the only way that you would classify something as "great art". I spent a few years at one of the best art colleges in the States and sometimes those high school students surpass most things I saw during that time.
As far as knowledge and skill taking years to achieve...well, I'm not so sure. I had a friend in high school who was a jock, that typical John Hughes kind of character that made fun of the geeks, did a lot of partying and played on the football team. Despite this, he had an atypical artsy side. He rarely did art but when he did, it was amazing. His brain just worked that way and made those connections and he could translate anything he saw (or didn't see), usually in the form of drawing or painting. There never seemed to be an eraser involved, or balled up pieces of paper on the floor, he just sat down and did it the first time out. I'm sorry I fell out of touch with him over the years because I wonder sometimes what he could do with the 3D medium.
Skills as an artist come one of two ways, either you work very hard for it over long periods of time, or you're one of the lucky ones who just "has it". Age has nothing to do with it.
The same thing happens with people who are exceptionally gifted at math. Sometimes, the brain just comes out wired a certain way and you see everything in numbers rather then colors.

Titus
06-01-2006, 07:12 PM
A few years ago I was working in a big studio here in my town, my boss was only 21 and he was dealing with big projects and clients since he was 18. His personality was a duality between a 40 year old adult and a 16 year old teenager. He was a mature producer at work and someone different elsewere.

mattclary
06-01-2006, 08:02 PM
39, turn the big 4-0 in September.

Still feel like a 15 year old trapped in a middle-aged body, just kinda hurts to get up in the morning more than it used to. ;)

Silkrooster
06-01-2006, 08:12 PM
Well, looky there. MattCleary is only 1 month older than I am.
Silk

oDDity
06-02-2006, 02:24 AM
Well, first of all, I commonly see teenagers making great works of art. My girlfriend teaches traditional art as well as graphic arts at the high school level and I'm often amazed at some of the work her students do. Is it hanging in a museum? No, of course not. I hope that's not the only way that you would classify something as "great art". I spent a few years at one of the best art colleges in the States and sometimes those high school students surpass most things I saw during that time.
As far as knowledge and skill taking years to achieve...well, I'm not so sure. I had a friend in high school who was a jock, that typical John Hughes kind of character that made fun of the geeks, did a lot of partying and played on the football team. Despite this, he had an atypical artsy side. He rarely did art but when he did, it was amazing. His brain just worked that way and made those connections and he could translate anything he saw (or didn't see), usually in the form of drawing or painting. There never seemed to be an eraser involved, or balled up pieces of paper on the floor, he just sat down and did it the first time out. I'm sorry I fell out of touch with him over the years because I wonder sometimes what he could do with the 3D medium.
Skills as an artist come one of two ways, either you work very hard for it over long periods of time, or you're one of the lucky ones who just "has it". Age has nothing to do with it.
The same thing happens with people who are exceptionally gifted at math. Sometimes, the brain just comes out wired a certain way and you see everything in numbers rather then colors.

Even with people who are naturally talented as teenagers, the work they will produce when they're older will be even better, that's my point. I don't think there is a single example of anyone producing their best at a young age, they invariably get better with the knowlegde and experience and increased proficency that comes with the passing of time, rather than the raw talent of youth.

We;re talking about averages here. If you take a 100 random 35 year old CG artists and compare them with a 100 random 18 year old cg artists, the 35 year olds will be far better in general, even if a few individual 18 year olds will be better then a few individual 35 year olds.
That obviously indicates that age does have something to do with it.

Plakkie
06-02-2006, 03:01 AM
Well, I have known a few musical composers who produced better works when they were young, being full of idea's and energy. Being older, their inspiration dried up a bit. But more often, the opposite is true, I agree with that. 3D is still in the learning and experimenting fase for me, so I have no experience with artistic feelings in that medium. But as a musician I know that I place deeper and more diverse and subtle emotions in music now, then I did six years ago. Having seen six years more of this difficult but beautifull world (apart from a 17 inch luminous square) can make a big difference.
By the way, I'm 26, going "Oooooooh" and "Uuuuurfff" getting in and out of chairs allready. :D My only regret? That I discovered Lightwave that late!

hrgiger
06-02-2006, 03:11 AM
Who said anything about doing their best work? We're just talking about producing good art. You indicated that there are no teenagers doing great art. That's simply not true. You're generalizing, I was talking specifics and so was Panikos that you were disagreeing with. In general yes, we are all surprised when some young snot comes along and makes us realize that we weren't as good as we thought we were. The funny thing is, when you are older and do art, you see everyone around you go "ooh, you are such a good artist, I can only draw a stick figure!". Well, I've heard that all my life and it always pumps me up a little. Then I see a guy 10 years plus+ younger then me do something that makes me realize that not only is this person more talented but he has all those years left to become even more talented by the time he is my age. So I get your point about improving with age, but sometimes, there are people that just landed on the run from the start and it happens more often then some of us wished it did.

Man, I had no idea there were so many geezers around here...I'll be 35 in December.

oDDity
06-02-2006, 04:19 AM
Well I'm 35 later this month and I didn't discover art or CG (or even computers for that matter) until I was 30, and I've only been doing it 'properly' for about the last 2, so it's never too late)

colkai
06-02-2006, 04:35 AM
Ahh, you're a mere whippersnapper as they say around here.
I'm the wrong side of 45 and I consider myself only now just starting to have fun with 3D.

To paraphrase Mr Heston.
They can have my dongle when the prise it from my cold dead hands. :p

faulknermano
06-02-2006, 05:13 AM
Then I see a guy 10 years plus+ younger then me do something that makes me realize that not only is this person more talented but he has all those years left to become even more talented by the time he is my age.

only applying this to myself, i viewed this as an insecurity of mine years before because i am, in some ways, a competitive bastard. just like long distance running, i had to accept that some people were born as "elites" and their bodies could just take the punishment without extra work. "works of art" or "art" - it could be applied the same way. of course, i was never really talented either way, and most every ability i have was learned, not acquired automatically. because i had to work hard (e.g. some of you know that i script a lot - but i'm *super poor* at "analytical" math) for every thing i had, i resented inwardly the fact that some people have it automatically.

of course, i later concluded, and now believe, that there are some important aspects of "art" that cannot be acquired automatically. those very same things, also, have nothing to do with age or social maturity, but how we grow, at a rate and degree that is almost arbitrary, as creative people.

EDIT: i'm 29. entering the big three-zero in several months. unlike some of you, i jump out of my chair, and do 2-meter high leaps from walls! i will never grow old! NEVER!

tyrot
06-02-2006, 05:32 AM
dear oddi

also Anton bruckner composed his first symphony after hearing Wagner's opera at the age of 40. Then he simply exploded. (of course he was playing for years organ..) Of course noone accepted a Austrian village guy till his 60 ths.

But Mendelshhon on the other hand ...finished everything till 34 years old, Schubert is also died very young. But if you hear Mendelshhon 4th italian symphony you also can realize you CANT make this kind of music at your older age...Also sibelius' later works were totally freako he was making sense when he was younger and building a finnish nation at least in musical stage.

So probably in music it is hard to distinguish age-versus-maturity.

in painting...mmm i dont know. Early works of Beksinski just amazing, Dali was cool at middle age...Bosch was SO much better when he was younger, as he gets older he was losing his touch. Caravaggio...mm i dont know really. But it can be easily said it is a pretty subjective.

You are abso-right about that Hair stuff. It is like MotherNature is saying...

"he he:) i ll make you monkey..you cocky human! monkey...he he..you little fool..hehe..i am mothernaturekarras and i ll make you die as a hairy monkey"

my age 33 btw. and i have the same disease of "not growing kid vs growing hair" syndrome.

BEST

TeZzy
06-02-2006, 05:40 AM
hey guys

i just turned 18 last week

and a newbie to LW, making decent progress......that's what i think anyway haha

stevecullum
06-02-2006, 05:43 AM
I'm still 18 (since 1990)

mattclary
06-02-2006, 07:39 AM
Leave it to oDDity and Giger to turn this into a freaking debate! :argue:

oDDity, is this where you get your username from?

http://www.klis.com/chandler/pamphlet/oddcd/oddcdpamphlet.htm#_Toc135732017

;)
Just kidding, hope you take it with the humor it is intended. The parallel just struck me as kind of funny.

tyrot
06-02-2006, 07:58 AM
dear matt

oddi is a not a human, in the picture you are seeing the mortal he is using for communicating.....communicating? did i say communicating?...actually he is from ancients..He is the last member chaos breed. he is having somekind of gravity within his post. One drop of oddi word can cause a black hole in your mind...i know... it happened to me..I survived...(did i? ...i am still seeing illusions..) so really be careful.... ...i warn ya.. He is way powerful than you think..

best

hrgiger
06-02-2006, 08:14 AM

Did not.

Oh wait, was that argumentative?

oDDity
06-02-2006, 09:11 AM

oDDity, is this where you get your username from?

http://www.klis.com/chandler/pamphlet/oddcd/oddcdpamphlet.htm#_Toc135732017

;)
Just kidding, hope you take it with the humor it is intended. The parallel just struck me as kind of funny.

ODD = "A pattern of negativistic, hostile, and defiant behavior lasting at least six months"

Heh, that sums me up perfectly. Unfortunately, my symtoms have lasted longer way than months, I guess I'm a chronic case.

colkai
06-02-2006, 09:16 AM
Did not.
Did too :p

mattclary
06-02-2006, 10:33 AM
My wife swears she has ODD, and I have never thought of any reason to disagree with her. I swear, she could argue about the color of the sky. ;)

phillydee
06-02-2006, 10:42 AM
EDIT: i'm 29. entering the big three-zero in several months. unlike some of you, i jump out of my chair, and do 2-meter high leaps from walls! i will never grow old! NEVER!
I'm a big fan of your scripts--good to hear you're also 29... heh. I'm the competitive bastard, man. I actually learned a lot from reading your code from those early LScripts that you had posted on your old site... (I suck at coding, BTW... :compbeati )

I'll be 30 in July but already feeling the strains of 3 decades...

oDDity
06-02-2006, 02:48 PM
dear matt

oddi is a not a human, in the picture you are seeing the mortal he is using for communicating.....communicating? did i say communicating?...actually he is from ancients..He is the last member chaos breed. he is having somekind of gravity within his post. One drop of oddi word can cause a black hole in your mind...i know... it happened to me..I survived...(did i? ...i am still seeing illusions..) so really be careful.... ...i warn ya.. He is way powerful than you think..

best

I thought you were told not to tell anyone about that?
You know the punishment...I have no choice but to contact the mothership and tell them to come down tonight and administer the injections again.
You were warned.

ravantra
06-02-2006, 02:48 PM
520 months old as of yesterday. :D

iconoclasty
06-02-2006, 02:54 PM
I'm 25 in human years but I only considered myself truly alive when I started using Lightwave, so I guess I'm 2.

oDDity
06-02-2006, 02:56 PM
2?? How do you reach the keyboard?

DragonFist
06-02-2006, 03:06 PM
36 here. Shall be 37 in August. My 12 year old son uses one of my Lightwave seats (when I am not in it, which doesn't give him much time.)

He doesn't post here because when he is not learning to model in Lightwave, he is at school or talking to his girlfriend or playing Counterstrike (or being scolded by his mother for playing Counter Strike.)

Ah, the joys of childhood.:D

iconoclasty
06-03-2006, 06:55 AM
2?? How do you reach the keyboard?
I use a speak-and-spell. Maybe that's why my polygon flow always sucks.

Matt
06-03-2006, 05:52 PM
Yeah, and what about all that extra hair which keeps growing from everywhere...except where you actually want it.

LOL! Yeah, that too, nasal hair, so satisfying when you get one of the buggers, but it hurts like ****!

ShawnStovall
06-03-2006, 06:52 PM
I guess I must treasure my hair on my head before I start growing it in my nose.

I still have hair on my head! HaHaHa!:tongue:

Fizzer
06-04-2006, 08:47 AM
Grey in beard, long in tooth. The hair that remains on my skull is the same color as it was when I was 20........I am now 60!

oDDity
06-04-2006, 08:59 AM
You had grey hair when you were 20? That must have really sucked.
Not just nose hair, I get ear hair, my eyebows want to grow hairs that are a foot long, back hair - and all the while the hair is falling out of my head.
Just one of nature's little jokes.

sliceadjust
06-04-2006, 09:30 AM
This is joyful. Soon they will have the ability to transplant the hair from your bum to your head and all will be right with the world. Remember when anyone uses the proverbial "they" to describe "them".......run for the hills.

connerh
06-04-2006, 10:00 AM
I'm only 19, and I'm already starting to go bald. No grey hairs yet, so doesn't look like I'm going to set the record on that one. I've been doing modelling etc since the Rhino 1.1 days, but after a friend of mine started showing me Lightwave a couple years ago, I started saving my money. I got the educational version while still in high school, and now I've updated to the LW 9.0 beta, and am quite happy. The only other modelling software I own is Silo, which I absolutely love using in conjunction with LW.

Titus
06-04-2006, 10:07 AM
I'm starting to have gray hairs but never grew a full beard or moustache, I'm a kind of old teenager :).

darkChief
06-04-2006, 10:34 AM
89 in 70 years:D

tyrot
06-04-2006, 10:48 AM
dear oddi

i hear ya. back hairs..one day i look at myself from back..like in omen (caused a neck replacement) i said "woow" ..thanks God there is something called laser epilation...and hair transfer..
i searched cuz ..being bald is being dead ..period....

Back hair(plus BUN hairs) are not good but chest hair...if you have one...keep them..::) the solution for your head is right above your heart..:)
But of course you plant your buns hair to your chest then to your head...i dunno did they try that? :)

Strange thing is what the heck we are talking about..The OUTTER problem of lightwavers. So it means we have not only SASlite problems! My goodness. We need Real-time REAL hair Plugin! WORLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEY!!!!

BEST

CrazyGiraffe
06-04-2006, 12:20 PM
I'm 15, bought my first 3d app (A:M) when I was 13, then bought a bunch in '05 (Poser, Shade, TS) finally three days ago I started useing LW and its already my favorite : )

phillydee
06-04-2006, 12:23 PM
You had grey hair when you were 20? That must have really sucked.
Not just nose hair, I get ear hair, my eyebows want to grow hairs that are a foot long, back hair - and all the while the hair is falling out of my head.
Just one of nature's little jokes.
I hear ya man. I can't understand why I'm pulling out fistfulls of nasal hair while the hair on my head is thinning, receeding, and starting to grow greys...

gerry_g
06-04-2006, 12:44 PM
When I turned twenty one I looked in the mirror an thought '[email protected]%k' I'm old, when I turned thirty I looked in the mirror an thought '[email protected]%k' I'm REALY old, when I hit the big FOUR 'O' I thought 'F*@%k' I'm REALY REALY old....................now I'm fifty two going on three, I just think '[email protected]%k it' who cares anyway.
PS ľAnd I didn't buy a computer, or any software when I was fifteen,there weren't any !!

Panikos
06-04-2006, 01:56 PM
gerry_g :D

As long as you have your health, the rest is bull****

RudySchneider
06-04-2006, 02:12 PM
Back hair, chest hair, yes. Insufficient funds on my noggin. On top of that, I'm on blood pressure medication and fish oil supplements. 56 years physically, still in my 30's mentally (though many would argue otherwise). At least I still do a 2-hour gym workout four days a week, and others complain that I'm too fast when we go for a "leisurely" walk.

Hey, if you can't attack life for all it's worth, what's the point?

ted
06-05-2006, 09:04 AM
Well, I'm getting near 50! Ouch, but I often act and feel like I'm 20 and my kids in their 20's agree. Does that count? :hey:

Torgul
06-05-2006, 09:34 PM
I'm 3 :thumbsup:

Traveler
06-06-2006, 01:31 PM
I'm 3 :thumbsup:
You make nice orcs for a three year old
Practise a couple years more till you're old enough and you can apply at Blizzard hands down. :D

I'm 28 btw

(anyone doing stats?)

jahn
06-06-2006, 01:55 PM
i am 23 and feel like 70 because of the hard condition work system in turkey.

ThriJ
06-23-2006, 03:51 PM
Well I guess there is a wide age range of LightWave users, from us younglings to those who remember first hearing about the new and incredible Amiga computers. But I think in this field everyone feels young.:D

I am 19, although I sometimes feel physically like I am 50, but I guess am better off then jahn.
I have been working with LightWave since I was 15. And I certainly hope my best work is ahead of me.:o

Stooch
06-23-2006, 04:05 PM
25. lwaving for almost 12 of those years. wow. just realized that

scary.

oh and btw the debate about the maturity and age relationship is very ironic.

Cougar12dk
06-23-2006, 04:24 PM
I'm a "litte" late to this debate, but I'm 28 with 29 coming this December. Been using since (lol, sounds like an AA meeting intro, huh :P) '96

Skinner3D
06-23-2006, 05:14 PM
I use a speak-and-spell. Maybe that's why my polygon flow always sucks. I bought my computer "Connecting the dots for Dummies" I think your system works better.:D

I am 18 and learning that many people who are older than you know very little about the 3D world. (Namely the people who are making me model a heart in Maya:screwy: 8/ )

BeeVee
06-23-2006, 05:37 PM
I'm one of those "older" folk at 37, and I've been using "proper" 3D since 1988 and before then on Spectrums I was doing isometric sprites - curse you Sandy White and 3D Ant Attack!

B

Qexit
06-24-2006, 05:26 AM
Just had to do a double check to ensure that this wasn't the "hmmm 14th already...." thread sneaking into a different forum area :D

Anyway, I'm 47 and after the past year I feel about 20 years older than that :thumbsdow Hopefully, a new computer combined with the arrival of LW9 will turn that around :)

Jim_C
06-24-2006, 07:28 AM
I am 5.14 in dog's years.

My dog is 1.16 in human years.

:)

Pomfried
06-24-2006, 09:15 AM
:D I'm 17 years old (18 in September)
So I guess I'm part of the younger people around here

lilrayray77
06-24-2006, 11:37 AM
Im 14, started very basic 3D with blender when I was about 12. Now I am here and loving lightwave and its communtiy, a place where people of all ages can come to find help without being insulted miserably. Thanks guys!

eidetiken
06-24-2006, 01:10 PM
If artistic ability grew with age, I'd be Rembrandt by now. I was a decent pencil artist when I was in my teens. As it is, at 74, I bought Lightwave to help me get over stick figures. Some people here claim they feel like they're 70? Well you have a lot more besides nose, ear and back hair to look forward to. Count your blessings if the hair on your head is the only thing you lose when you get here.

Cougar12dk
06-25-2006, 02:20 PM
If artistic ability grew with age, I'd be Rembrandt by now. I was a decent pencil artist when I was in my teens. As it is, at 74, I bought Lightwave to help me get over stick figures. Some people here claim they feel like they're 70? Well you have a lot more besides nose, ear and back hair to look forward to. Count your blessings if the hair on your head is the only thing you lose when you get here.

Eidetiken?.........is that 'cos you still remember extremely well?? As in Eidetik memory?

eidetiken
06-25-2006, 05:04 PM
Hi Cougar, Actually memory is one of those things you lose as you get older, but it seems to be subjective. Children are born eidetic but lose the ability of eidetic memory when they learn to read. As you get older the eidetic memories come back! But I'm not able to remember everything eidetically, if at all, and its usually stuff I'd rather not remember at all. Eidetiken is actually the title of a book (kind of a teleportation, or being able to actually walk across the threshold of your memories through space and time kind of story) I've been working on for a few years now, sent the short story version of Eidetiken to SF&F, and the first book of the series is at TOR publishing, being neglected, subjected, rejected or accepted.
(my definition)
Eidetiken
(eye-de-tic-en)
Function: noun
Defined: A being able to evoke and travel through extraordinarily accurate and vivid images of... other worlds... from memory.

hmmm... last time I was in Denmark, someone cut the head off the Mermaid? She ever get her head back?

Cougar12dk
06-25-2006, 11:53 PM
Oh, sweet title :)

I have been roleplaying (GURPS=Generic Universal RolePlaying System) for quite a few years by now. And in making characters, you can pick a trait called Eidetic Memory, so that's where I got it from :)

The little mermaid did get her head back on, yes :)

jasonwestmas
06-26-2006, 10:02 PM
29 years, I felt left out ;)

BeeVee
06-27-2006, 02:19 AM
The Mermaid in Copenhagen gets her head cut off with surprising regularity and I'm constantly impressed at how well it's put back on - I would have expected a Frankenstein's monster look by now. The first time I saw it I was quite shocked that it was so accessible from the shore - I spent ages scanning the harbour looking out for it and then I realised that it was right next to the "beach". No wonder she gets her hear cut off...

B
PS. Ahhh, I remember GURPS and the pleasure I got helping to rebuild SJG by buying five copies of the Cyberpunk rules extension after the FBI raid...

Bog
06-27-2006, 04:01 AM
I'm 20!

In hexadecimal, anyway.

JamesCurtis
06-27-2006, 06:14 AM
I'm 51 and have used all versions of LW since version 1 on the Amiga Video Toaster. Man, it's been a looooong time!! At times, not enough work or money, but I still enjoy it.

art
06-27-2006, 07:32 AM
For those who are interested:
There was a thread like this a long time ago. I collected all data back then
and presented it in a graph format. I happened to still have that file. I updated it with values from this thread (there might be some dupes, maybe not). It includes all tricky ones: dog years, hex, multiplications, divisions...

I'm 34 btw.

ShawnStovall
06-28-2006, 09:04 AM
Cool.

M.A.S.
07-03-2006, 07:47 PM
Well,

Plant me in the geezer camp at 46.

But I still play with legos, does that count for anything? (other than premature senility...)

Michael

zardoz
07-04-2006, 07:14 AM
I'll be 32 in november...

Gyphon
07-04-2006, 04:24 PM
40 over here. At 39 I felt like 65, but then got my butt into gear and lost alot of fat, now I feel 25-30, lift weights 3 times a week and bicycle 30-40 Kms per day (not meandering either, I mean full tilt all the way).

Nitisara
07-06-2006, 11:05 PM
I'm 35.
Definitely experience comes with age. :chicken:
But that doesn't mean that any 35 y.o. man is more experienced than any 20 y.o. man :D

Engelbrite
07-07-2006, 10:35 PM
I think I qualify for technogeezer at 52... I got started with computers back in the days for the Altairs, Imsais, SOL Terminal Computers, and SWTP systems... You got sound from the SOL by putting a radio next to it and picking up the electronic noise from the CPU. We found that really exciting. We used paper tape for mass storage (and were thankful for it)! We walked up 8 miles in the snow (uphill, both ways) to use our brand new 8-inch floppy disks. I still have my 1802 Cosmac Elf computer with 256 bytes (not megabytes, not kilobytes, but bytes) of memory; you could enter data to the hex keypad and see a blocky version of the USS Enterprise on your TV (you kids have it easy nowadays). I programmed games (Winter Games, Summer Games, California Games) on the Atari 2600 console which had 128 bytes of RAM and 16K of program memory (4K at a time). You programmed the graphics by stuffing registers at just the right time as the TV scanline painted down the screen. I made a recognizable BMX biker (doing stunts) in 8x10 pixels 1 bit color (by cracky). I remember wondering if someday they might get a million bytes of RAM into a computer system. Everyone thought it would never happen.

sbrandt
07-08-2006, 11:36 AM
"...A number doesnt indicate skills/knowledge/maturity..."

That is just SO true.
May I write that down?

witweew
04-28-2008, 08:42 PM
yea, for workout music, you basically need hard-hitting euro-dance music.... nothing else does the job

really. Search around on iTunes for "euro club hits" or check this link:

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZSearch.woa/wa/advancedSearchResults?albumTerm=Euro+Club+Hits+Vol

Hopper
04-28-2008, 08:50 PM
yea, for workout music, you basically need hard-hitting euro-dance music.... nothing else does the job

really. Search around on iTunes for "euro club hits" or check this link:

ummmm .. spam ?

theo
04-28-2008, 09:09 PM
But that doesn't mean that any 35 y.o. man is more experienced than any 20 y.o. man :D

Well, no... but that is entirely irrelevant isn't it? Most experience/age ratios are personal assessments not collective pronouncements.

At 34 there is absolutely no way I would prefer being 18, 22 or even 25. The storehouse of data that experience collects along its expedition to depletion is tragically priceless, in my obeisant viewage.

I employ the words 'tragically priceless' since, after all, it IS part of the personal assessment equation and, as such, will be without price in the most absolute form when personal assessment is no longer required (the golden nap).

ShawnStovall
05-03-2008, 12:28 AM
Possibly the strangest thread resurrection I have ever seen...

jasonwestmas
05-03-2008, 08:41 AM
Within the context of common interest between two people, a 18 year old mind is seriously underdeveloped when compared to a 30 year old mind.

Sarford
05-07-2008, 04:37 AM
Possibly the strangest thread resurrection I have ever seen...

I do agree, very smart spamming technique. Now the mods have to delete individual posts instead of just pulling threads.

Steamthrower
05-07-2008, 07:34 AM
Just reported an almost identical post over at SpinQuad. Sorry suckin' leeches, die die die!

Mitja
05-07-2008, 07:51 AM
Uhmm, it took some time to understand what's going on here ... it's 2 years old thread isn't it?
So 2 years passed... (if I'm not much mistaken)

So, people, how old are you NOW? ;)

greeb1957
05-07-2008, 08:03 AM
im 18 and finishing up my last year of highschool.

Cougar12dk
05-07-2008, 08:08 AM
This thread IS old :) I've "just" turned 30 in December :dance::hey:

Mitja
05-07-2008, 08:22 AM
This thread IS old :) I've "just" turned 30 in December :dance::hey:

Yeah, the THREAD is old...not y...hmmm...
Anyway, I'm 21 and 3/4!

Cougar12dk
05-07-2008, 08:23 AM
hehehe ;)

Steamthrower
05-07-2008, 08:37 AM
You'll have to use your grey matter to figure out my age. I was born in the decade where men wore large hairstyles and moustaches. I was born in a decade where my mother made me wear high socks, Velcro shoes, and pastel colored shirts. I was born after the first Indiana Jones, but before the fall of Communism (best two events of the 80's). The youthful infatuations at the time included Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and Transformers (okay, so Transformers were dying out).

Okay, so I made it way too easy for you guys. Sheesh.

Cougar12dk
05-07-2008, 08:44 AM
So between '81 and '89.... old enough to play with Ninja turtles and Transformers. I suppose you're right in between, so that would put you at '85, making you 22/23?

Mitja
05-07-2008, 01:23 PM
The youthful infatuations at the time included Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and Transformers

...and Ace Ventura??!

Cougar12dk
05-07-2008, 01:26 PM
Oh absolutely! I've been a fan of Jim Carey since the first Ace Ventura film :D :thumbsup: Alrighty-then was one word for quite some time in the mid 90's (I think it was....I haven't looked it up).

JeffrySG
05-07-2008, 01:33 PM
My missus says I act like a big kid, does that count? :p
Beat me too it! lol

(by about 2 years)

Steamthrower
05-07-2008, 01:40 PM
...and Ace Ventura??!

Nope, Ace Ventura went unseen. I think all my buddies saw it though.

I liked Matlock.

Pavlov
05-07-2008, 05:16 PM
It's quite funny to read your ages, guys.... i thought some had totally different ones ;)
It's also scary since i discover i'm an oldbie.... running without brakes toward 35 here.

Paolo

Hopper
05-07-2008, 05:19 PM
It's quite funny to read your ages, guys.... i thought some had totally different ones ;)
It's also scary since i discover i'm an oldbie.... running without brakes toward 35 here.
...and what the hell is wrong with 35????? I happen to like that number. It's hell on birthday cakes (unless you like eating wax), but other than that, it seems to be working quite well for me. Oldie? Thant's nuts. That's when things start getting interesting. :screwy:

Qexit
05-07-2008, 05:37 PM

PaoloIf you're old nearing 35...what does that make me plunging headlong towards the big Five-Oh next February ? :eek::D

Steamthrower
05-07-2008, 05:43 PM

Paolo

Just wondering; out of sheer curiosity, where had you estimated me, or Mitja, or Cougar?:D

Mitja
05-08-2008, 02:03 AM
It's also scary since i discover i'm an oldbie.... running without brakes toward 35 here

Think about it in a different way: you are not old, you're just....mature. :D

AdamAvenali
05-08-2008, 08:32 AM
i'm 24 but if you looked at the ninja turtles comforter on my bed, one might think i were 12 haha

Cougar12dk
05-08-2008, 08:33 AM
Lol :)

RollerJesus
05-08-2008, 08:55 AM
Well, I'm 28.

.over.

grey_matters
05-08-2008, 09:36 AM
i'm 24 but if you looked at the ninja turtles comforter on my bed, one might think i were 12 haha

I'm a turtle fan too, no comforter, but a fan none the less and I'll be 42 this summer. :D

AdamAvenali
05-08-2008, 09:38 AM
oh and we're not talking like the new turtles either, my comforter is probably from when i was 7 haha. straight late 80's early 90's turtles haha. hope my future wife is okay with this complex i have.

RollerJesus
05-08-2008, 09:49 AM
turtles... I can still sing the song from the pizza hut advertisement that was on my TMNT VHS tape before the movie started.

man, I want that part of my brain back.

Mitja
05-08-2008, 10:05 AM
When I was younger than I am now, I had a sort of pizza-thrower vehicle. Was my favourite toy for a while.

Steamthrower
05-08-2008, 10:27 AM
When you were younger than you are now...so when you were 20 3/4? :D

AdamAvenali
05-08-2008, 11:23 AM
haha i totally had the pizza throwing truck. dont know how many times the poor pets were harassed with that thing.

Steamthrower
05-08-2008, 12:11 PM
Are we reminiscing? We're too young to reminisce.

Hopper
05-08-2008, 12:16 PM
Bah! We were reminiscing about the "good ol' college days" about a week after we we graduated.. It's sad what real work will do to you ...

Steamthrower
05-08-2008, 01:53 PM
I find myself reminiscing about high school even though that was years back. Go figure. Life starts going fast.

Pavlov
05-08-2008, 02:07 PM
well.. honestly i never care about ages, it just happened i focused my attention on people actually *declaring* it, otherwise i never thought rationally at this.
Inconsciously i tend probably to give an age to virtual buddies depending on some symbolic association, i.e. avatar's look, signature and so on. So it happened some are older, but more often younger than i though.

Paolo

Iain
05-08-2008, 02:44 PM
A subject worth resurrecting I think-thanks Spammer!

I turned 36 in March and I can honestly say I've never given my age more than passing thought.
You only get one shot at this and nothing will stop us getting older so it's best to just embrace every day and try to enjoy life as much as you can.

Steamthrower
05-08-2008, 02:54 PM
You know what, a coworker and I were talking the other day about age and speed of life and various things. You know how when you're a kid, seven or eight or twelve, the days last for weeks, and the summer lasts for decades? Then as you go through school, job, college, etc, it speeds up so it's like decades last for a summer and weeks last for days? Our question was, does it slow back down when you get old? Of course none of you guys are old enough to know. Old to me is sixty, seventy, eighty years old, not 35 or 40.

Hopper
05-08-2008, 03:06 PM
It probably slows down with dementia. When you're a kid, you can't wait to grow up ... then when you get that old .. you can't wait to die .. :D

It's a standing rule in my house - we don't celebrate or even mention my birthday. It's not that I don't want a fuss. It's simply that I could care less. It's a HallMark holiday anyway. If you want to throw a party or show appreciation - go talk to my mother - she did all the work, I was just there because I had to be.

I guess everything happens at the speed of life. (I'm sure that's some tv commercial somewhere - sounds like insurance).

Hopper
05-08-2008, 03:25 PM
Oh what timing we have today ... Almost as soon as I click "Submit" the next song racks up in the ol' mp3 player ....

Reeling In The Years :jam:

And for those of you who are not familiar with that title ... shame on you!

Steamthrower
05-08-2008, 03:33 PM
Steely Dan rocks. I don't care how old and decrepit you are, Steely Dan rocks. :rock:

MSwengel
05-09-2008, 01:52 AM
I'm 19 for a few more months. You are not alone!

Or... in Dr. Who-ish... YANA. :D

You know, Dr. Who, Torchwood, and the Sarah Jane Chronicles all use LW. :jam:

schweet. It's always good to know that the package I use is being used professionally for the big-ticket productions.

Mitja
05-09-2008, 02:25 AM
When you were younger than you are now...so when you were 20 3/4? :D

Nooooo!! Much younger!!

erikals
05-15-2008, 04:35 PM
How old I am?
I'm born the year George W. Bush is arrested and fined for driving under the influence of alcohol.

Hopper
05-15-2008, 05:39 PM
How old I am?
I'm born the year George W. Bush is arrested and fined for driving under the influence of alcohol.
Which one? The original, or the cloned retard?

erikals
05-15-2008, 06:20 PM
...the one Letterman talks about.
Better be careful here, I'm walking on thin ice, last time I mentioned that name the thread got closed.

...so the answer is 31, i think :caffeine:

Mitja
05-17-2008, 05:05 AM
Which one? The original, or the cloned retard?
...I think both are retard...

meshpig
05-17-2008, 06:16 AM

Nah, it's only the "young" that actually bother to reminisce.

What happens by the time you hit 40 is your brain has cycled through your adolescence so many times you can afford to get over it for good. As in it becomes what it is, just another 5 or 6 years of your life.

m

Steamthrower
05-18-2008, 07:38 AM
What happens by the time you hit 40 is your brain has cycled through your adolescence so many times you can afford to get over it for good. As in it becomes what it is, just another 5 or 6 years of your life.

I thought that at 40 or 50 people start remembering their high school days, along with the pranks and illegal entrances into military bases and fast car races, and then go out and buy bright red loud cars, dye their hair to it's former glory, buy glitzy watches, whiten their teeth, unbutton their sleeves, and drive with the sunroof down.

Also called mid-life crisis.

I'm not there yet...can anybody out there testify from personal experience?

Alliecat279
05-18-2008, 10:52 AM
I just turned 16, and I've been messing around with Lightwave for about a year. My TV productions teacher got me the program and such...
And I'm havin' some troubles. I cant figure out things on my own haha
My teacher is clueless.
Where can I go to ask questions n' the such??

((I just now made an account here :help:))

Cougar12dk
05-18-2008, 10:54 AM
Did it not come with a manual?

Alliecat279
05-18-2008, 10:55 AM
My teacher lost it...
lol

Cougar12dk
05-18-2008, 11:30 AM
http://www.newtek.com/lightwave/
Under training (right under the red logo a bit right of the middle)

RudySchneider
05-19-2008, 09:26 AM
I thought that at 40 or 50 people start remembering their high school days, along with the pranks and illegal entrances into military bases and fast car races, and then go out and buy bright red loud cars, dye their hair to it's former glory, buy glitzy watches, whiten their teeth, unbutton their sleeves, and drive with the sunroof down.

Also called mid-life crisis.

I'm not there yet...can anybody out there testify from personal experience?

I'm 58 and, no, not ALL of us go through mid-life crises. And even though I still work out three or four times a week, I DO yearn for SOME of the abilities I had in my younger years.

It hasn't slowed me down too much, though. I went to Ian Anderson's Adventure Camp, in Belize, last year, where the first thing they have you do when you arrive is sign a waiver, which indemnifies them from any misfortunes that may befall you during your stay. We did water rafting, caving (the waterfall caves are THE BEST!), zip-lining, rapelling, and needless to say, hiking. Lots of interesting snakes, tarantulas, and bugs, too! And the local rum is a bit of all right, too! I highly recommend the experience!

ddragovi
06-10-2008, 10:51 AM
21... and brand new to this forum. I find myself spending all my time on here reading, and none posting.:thumbsup:

oobievision
06-10-2008, 11:22 AM
23 here been using lightwave for a little over a year now.

ShawnStovall
06-10-2008, 03:24 PM
Turning 16 on Thursday! Woop! :bday:

The Dommo
06-10-2008, 03:41 PM
I'm 28 now at this point teaching myself Lightwave... Started out with Extreme 3D and 3D/FX when I was 17 or so.

Been through a few industrial-grade packages but hoping to stick with LW now... not getting any younger! That said, I have felt more 'charged' this year, since I promised myself at the beginning of the year that I'd rearrange my life to allow more time for LW studying... :)

erikals
06-10-2008, 04:01 PM

Pre-Happy Birthday Mister, 16 is a cool age :king:

Steamthrower
06-10-2008, 04:03 PM

Happy birthday then! I remember turning 16. Only I didn't get a car, I got a rifle. :D

madjester
06-10-2008, 04:20 PM
Just turned 23 and now the go to guy for Post-Edit-Website-Etc... At a house in Manhattan, blackwatchproductions.com (I know a new website is in the works.)

The place was a Maya house but I'm thinking of a Lightwave/XSI house for the future.

It is good to see, as determined from above posts, that LW is taught in school. Alias was really good about getting its product into the educational system so all my formal my training is in Maya.

And son of a ***** it is hot in here.

ShawnStovall
06-11-2008, 03:45 PM
Happy birthday then! I remember turning 16. Only I didn't get a car, I got a rifle. :D

I would rather have my own computer then a car! lol :thumbsup: