PDA

View Full Version : HUGE Layout Pain... Help Requested

mlowes
05-31-2006, 05:26 PM
I'm having a huge slowdown selecting masses of objects at the same time in layout. Upwards of 400 or so at the same time. I'm shift selecting from the scene editor all in one go, and wait for many minutes for the selection to update. I need to repeat this process dozens of times each revision of the shot, so am looking to streamline this somehow.

I know this isn't ideal, but with the requirements I've been given for this shot, I have a huge number of individual objects (~7500). I'm using a plugin to then bake down this selection into a folder of objects, which I am then collapsing into a single object in modeler (to speed up rendering times... layout renders even a large number of individual box objects very slowly compared to the equivalent mesh baked out). I'm only loading the 400 at a time in layout to try and speed things up (and not the entire 7500 which cripples my machine).

Tried putting all viewports to none, bounding box, turned off show handles. Polytrans loads them all instantly, but unfortunately it spits out UV'd objects. All my objects are cubic mapped, and are not conducive to reasonable map sizes for UVing. Out of ideas, can any one offer any suggestions ?

Thanks in advance,

Lightwave 8.3 Build 800
2GB Ram
Dual Xeons
XP 32 Bit

Celshader
05-31-2006, 05:58 PM
I'm having a huge slowdown selecting masses of objects at the same time in layout. Upwards of 400 or so at the same time. I'm shift selecting from the scene editor all in one go, and wait for many minutes for the selection to update. I need to repeat this process dozens of times each revision of the shot, so am looking to streamline this somehow.

I'm not sure I have a solution for the object-collapsing problem, but I might have a tip for speeding up the Layout display. In the Display Options panel, do you have "Show Motion Paths" turned off? Turning it off made a huge speed improvement when I had 250+ objects in a scene.

mlowes
06-01-2006, 11:36 AM
Thank you for the reply,

Yes, motion paths is turned off. I agree it does give a great speed boost with all of these objects in the scene. The new scene editor allows very quick mass selection, but the selections in the new scene editor are invisible to this lscript until I "apply" the selection to the viewports.

I suspect this is just hard coded in this version of lightwave, hence the reason the new scene editor actually runs almost over top of lightwave ?