PDA

View Full Version : WMV poor and low volumn???

edmellnik
05-31-2006, 05:14 PM
I have several short clips (2 minutes each) that I am trying to get
to wmv 320 x 240 files.

First of all, I have never been able to get decent wmv renders out
of the toaster. WHY???

I have had to render as full size AVI then use the WIndows Media Encoder 9 to render them to 320 x 240 at a bit rate of 2mps.
THe only problem is that the audio is very low on the wmvs.

Has anyone had any luck at this?

ed

Ivan
05-31-2006, 09:16 PM
Save the project as an AVI and render that with WME.

Ivan

edmellnik
06-01-2006, 12:45 AM
Yes I did that. Saved as AVI Full uncompressed then used
Windows Media encoder 9 and the audio was way to low.
finally did get the audio up by checking the box that says
use mixer levels in the render menu.
Then I found the color saturation and brightness was much lower in the
rendered WMV. Same also using another encoder.

ed

Ivan
06-01-2006, 03:05 AM
I'm not sure we are on the same page when you say you did that, saved as AVI uncompressed. There is no option to save as an AVI uncompressed the way I mentioned. When you save a project as an AVI you go to File/Save Project As and change .VTP to .AVI. Other programs now see the .VTP as an actual AVI. This solves the problem of possibley having the intermediate AVI file being the problem. Since 4.x Audio seems more consistant. What type of audio files are you using?

Ivan

Paul Lara
06-01-2006, 08:55 AM
The .wmv renders from Media Encoder are going to be superior to VT[4] because Media Encoder can perform a 2-pass encode, which optimizes quality. VT[4] will just reformat the frames, which can not perform predictive compression.

John Perkins
06-02-2006, 08:48 AM
Lack of saturation is common in highly compressed formats like WMV. I normally oversaturate my project a bit before encoding it to make up for the loss.

The low audio levels probably have to do with the audio level offset that you selected. I'm not sure how much headroom WMV files are expected to have, but I would guess 0db.

Also, if you are turning the volume level knob on the editor, then you will want to observe editor volume also. If it's set at 0, then observe editor volume shouldn't matter.