PDA

View Full Version : Rail clone and Make Open Curve

jasonwestmas
05-30-2006, 09:28 PM
I'm trying to make this here Wig for Sasquatch. Trouble is that I can't seem to make an open curve by selecting these points, it merely makes a chain of jagged 2 point polygons. I'm assuming they are polygons because this chain guide won't work with 'Rail clone' for some reason. I have rail guide in the background like it says I'm supposed to do. I'm following the tutorial on the worley site. In the tutorial 'make open curve' creates a smooth curve when you run the tool. In my lw8 it just creates a chain of 2point polys apparently. Am I doing something wrong?

Here's the tutorial:

http://worley.com/TutFiles/StuTut/index.htm

Thanks for any hints on this one.

jasonwestmas
05-30-2006, 09:30 PM
Here's a Pict:

jasonwestmas
05-30-2006, 09:43 PM
Actually, here is a better example of what I'm doing:

toby
05-30-2006, 10:41 PM
Not sure I understand, you select all 4 of those points in the first image, press cntrl-p, and you get 2-point polygons? Double-check that there's only 4 points, and that they're all on the same layer?

jasonwestmas
05-31-2006, 06:07 AM
when I made the rail guides using the 'make open curve' command, (not the 'make poly' command), all the splines were in the same layer. I attached another pict to show you how I created the rail guides. I had to select and cut out the rail guides and put them on a separate layer and make them the background layer and the hair guides are in the foreground layer. I think the problem starts when I created the 'open curve' because they don't look like spline curves at all (They look like a chain of 2 point polys; don't want that). To make the curve I selected the four end-points for the first layer of hair guides like it says in the tutorial. Then I ran the 'make open curve' command. Doesn't seem to make another curve along the selected points even when all the verticies/curves are on the same layer. . .must be wrong because the rail clone command doesn't work.

Thanks!

jasonwestmas
05-31-2006, 04:38 PM
I found out what was causing the make open curve to act funny. It was because there was an extra point on the end point of each curve. Not sure how they got there but thats what was causing the problem.

toby
05-31-2006, 09:16 PM
Glad you figgered it out, it's usually something like that, that you can barely see.

btw 'Cntrl-p' is the shortcut for make open curve, 'p' is for make polygon -