PDA

View Full Version : Animated boolean? Oh help!

Exception
05-30-2006, 08:59 PM
Oh help, boyoboy..

so I wasted an hour with FI's fake boolean... and for the life of me i cannot reproduce the sample scene. I can't! It just won't! Howdiddydoit?
I mean, I get stuff half disappearing, I even get a correct outside cut, but no way inside jose...

I made exactly what the sample scene did, back transparent faces, the plugins set correctly, even copy pasted the objects from the sample scene into my own objects, and voila, they stop working!
Arg!

I tried to find Shift Boolean texture, but that one isn't around anymore...
Anyone any suggestions for animated booleans?

I'm going to cry now.

Dodgy
05-31-2006, 03:32 AM
It's on my website :)
Howzat :)

Exception
05-31-2006, 03:41 PM
Howzat? Zat is awesome, zat how zit is!
Thanks dodgy!

Perhaps you can host BG Conform plus on there too, also one of those disappeared plugins.

Exception
05-31-2006, 03:47 PM
Hey Mr dodge, that MGJulienneRT is awesome!

I actually have been trying to find someone who can write a plugin that is very similar to it... I think it would benefit a lot of people...
What it would do is split the selected polygons, like Julienne, but then the splitting occurs per polygon, rather than for the whole... So if I would have stencilled fifteen windows onto a facade for instance, I would be able to split those in one smooth go. Currently there is no easy way of doing this, or splitting it in three parts and so on... Julienne uses the whole selection to divide, and Bandsaw continues into polys you did not select...

Dodgy
05-31-2006, 04:14 PM
Should be easy to do I'll knock it up for you... And see if I can't find that background conform thingo...

Exception
05-31-2006, 04:46 PM
I have BG conform plus, but i know often people are looking for it.
I'll send it to you...
Also, how does this boolean texture work?

stevecullum
05-31-2006, 04:57 PM
Have you got hold of 'shift boolean texture'?

I used that - produces nice results, except animating can be extremely render intensive, depending on what is behind it.

A much quicker way is to use the old flipped geometry trick as a matte object and a clipmap. For animtions it renders soooo much quicker!

Exception
05-31-2006, 05:32 PM
Steve can you elaborate on that, I don't know how one would go about doing that...

Dodgy
05-31-2006, 05:49 PM
For Boolean texture, add it to both your objects as a clip map, with the exture referencing the other object. If object B is subtracted from object A, you'll need to flip the normals of B so that it appears in the subtracted parts. Then you'll have to experiment as to whether to set In or Out in the texture as I can never remember whether the In mean 'this object is solid Inside' or this 'object has air Inside', but addition is both In(or both out), intersection is both out(or both in) and subtraction is one in, and one out.

As for the other. You just apply a procedural or image as a clip map, apply the same procedural/image to a copy of the object, which has a surface set flipped normals again, but also set to matte object, so it's one colour, then when it renders, the object will render the matte colour in the clipped areas... It's not perfect, but it's okay.

stevecullum
05-31-2006, 06:14 PM
Yeah, you basically use a duplicate of your model, flipped and turned into a matte in Layout.

Here is the link that I used:

http://www.md-arts.com/

Its the cut-away tutorial.

But you may not be able to use this technique anymore in beta if thats what your using as the the new cameras seems to have broken it!

Worth a try though!

Dodgy
06-02-2006, 05:01 AM
There's a realtime polygon split tool on my web page for you excep, it doesn't do vmaps as yet, but I'm looking into it...

Dodgy
06-02-2006, 11:06 AM
The realtime split tool should now work fully with vmaps...

Exception
06-02-2006, 01:29 PM
That's awesome Dodgy, thanks!
One small thing though, it crashed my modeler on the first try by filling in '0' as one of the values... screenshot attached. Tell me if there's anything I can do to help!

Correction, it crashes 8.5 regardless of the newly input number.
It does not crash 9, but it generates two errors, shown in the second screenshot, only when inputting '0'. Sounds like a missing "if 0 then go to the bathroom instead of splitting then eat cake."

Dodgy
06-02-2006, 03:13 PM
There's always one who has to put 0 where 0 was never meant to be! :)

I've fixed this now. I also found that bug just after I added the vmap stuff, so that should be fixed too. As to whether it'll work in 8.5, I'm not sure, I'm not running 8.5 anymore :) Let me know if it does :)

Exception
06-02-2006, 04:07 PM
Works perfectly in 9, works like a one-button crash machine in 8.5. When changing any of the values modeler immediately crashes. I kinda still like 8.5 better because of its stability versus 9...
excpet for your plug then :)

Dodgy
06-02-2006, 05:16 PM
I'll have a play in 8.5 see if I can't get it working :)

I've just tried in 8.5 and it works perfectly...

Exception
06-02-2006, 11:38 PM
That's just ackward.
Open up modeler 8.5, make a flat poly, select it, run MGLatticeSplitRT, change the first value to 1, press tab, BOOM...

Dodgy
06-03-2006, 05:11 AM
Ah, now I've got it...

Hmm, I'll look into it, but since it works fine in 9, this could be a bug in 8.5 which has been fixed...

Dodgy
06-03-2006, 05:20 AM
Well I've fixed it for 8.5 kind off. It was doing too many undos for 8.5, so something's changed between then and 9. Here's the 8.5 script. Don't use this with 9, and don't use the 9 with 8.5 :)

Exception
06-03-2006, 09:02 AM
Dodgy, you are the best, a million thanks!
I am sure to spread the word of it, and i will make a lot of people happy!

Dodgy
06-03-2006, 09:45 AM
No, it was a cool plug to write, taught me how to use discontinuous vmaps :)

stevecullum
06-03-2006, 10:17 AM
So what can this tool do exactly, that a standard boolean tool can't?

(Knowing MG scripts something pretty wicked ;))

Exception
06-03-2006, 11:07 AM
Steve, it's doing something you couldn;t do with boolean if you had 10 years on your hands.

Basically it performs local, polygon based juliennes, in both orthogonal directions.
So, imagine you have a building and you have 50 windows in them, which are stencilled polys and then beveled in and out. Those windows always have some kind of division, either just plain vertical for casket windows or for older style windows a lot of small square divisions. Just launch dodgy's new plugin, enter the number of divisions you need each window to have, and voila. This would be really hard to do otherwise. You'd need to cut the polygons out, and past them in to disconect them from the rest, reselect them, run bandsaw, add divisions in the graph, uniform them, figue out which direction, and then do it one by one for each polygon. Cut would simplify it a little but it would still be a major hassle. Dodgy's new plugin does it in a fraction of a second!
(can you tell I'm excited?!)

stevecullum
06-03-2006, 12:46 PM
Sounds really cool!

Thanks for the explanation.

tyrot
06-04-2006, 07:57 PM
dear Dodgy

I cant believe how i missed this julienneRT plugin. AMAZING stuff. That much easy to use and that much useful plugin. What can i say except sending my deepest gratitudes.

Except! thanks for ultra short but ultra useful tutorial. This saves a lot of time. If Dodgy emerge his Julienne with Bandsaw like operation, with some decent metric numbers, it would be just one step for creating a building ext. face. No matter what in Bandsaw we have to guess the aprox. distance between cuts for matching the actual CAD file.

But this really made my day. Thanks to you .

BTW dodgy latticesplit is still crashing.(8.5 here) If I use it with Flat Poly it crashes without even panel, if i chose a face from any 3d object , it opens the panel...looking at me..when i try to alter anything...it crashes...

BEST plugin of the WEEK:)

Dodgy
06-08-2006, 03:59 AM
I'm not getting it crashing, but try this version, I fixed a(nother) bug...

kostache
01-13-2009, 10:51 PM
Dear Mr. Dodgy, I've tried a lot of animated boolean plug-ins, but I got a stable results only with your Boolean texture plug-in. Is it possible to make a x64 version of thid great plug also? :help: Thanks in advance!

Dodgy
01-13-2009, 11:18 PM
It's not my plugin unfortunately, I was just hosting it as the developer went awol. You might want to google for 'dpont lightwave nodes' as he has a node for this now and he's active on these forums.

archijam
01-14-2009, 12:22 AM
LW should have camera-based booleans anyway... :p

ATM they only work with ortho.

kostache
01-14-2009, 05:13 AM
LW should have camera-based booleans anyway... :p

ATM they only work with ortho.

How it works and where to find it? Please, explain me.

archijam
01-14-2009, 06:00 AM
With the orthogonal camera, you can get a sectional 'clipping' effect based on the placement of the camera.

I use it all the time, but I never did work out if it is a bug or a feature ;) ...

NOW PLEASE give it too me for the other cameras ... I am sick of boolean tricks, and need it to play nicely with HD Instance!

Thanks.

Ztreem
01-14-2009, 12:53 PM
Also look up Denis boolean node for animated booleans.
http://pagesperso-orange.fr/dpont/plugins/nodes/Additionnal_Nodes_2.html

Exception
01-14-2009, 08:30 PM
The animation on this page (http://www.except.nl/design/torontochapel/index.html) shows an orthogonal camera clipping a section through a landscape and a chapel.

The same trick is easily applied to other obejcts using a clipping texture attached to a moving null.

kostache
01-14-2009, 11:17 PM
Thanks guys for the answers! I'll try to make it with ortho camera! About DP-Kit - I've tried it before post this message - Lightwave always shows me a critical error right after I choose a target object for this node. :devil: (only for x64 version.)

kolby
01-15-2009, 12:33 AM
Also look up Denis boolean node for animated booleans.

This plugin works well for me until radiosity is used. No GI shading is produced.
Confirm ? Or I`m using wrong setings ?

kostache
01-15-2009, 05:36 AM
This plugin works well for me until radiosity is used. No GI shading is produced.
Confirm ? Or I`m using wrong setings ?

Yes! But only 32 bits version! Not 64.:thumbsdow

dpont
01-15-2009, 05:59 AM
Thanks guys for the answers! I'll try to make it with ortho camera! About DP-Kit - I've tried it before post this message - Lightwave always shows me a critical error right after I choose a target object for this node. :devil: (only for x64 version.)

Did you tried to send a detailed report with content?
I say detailed because this node needs to scan your
geometry itself and there are limitations in this process,
especially with object layers sharing same surface.

Denis.

PS: radiosity + boolean node works here, but don't forget
that radiosity ray need to travel through transparent part
of objects.

kostache
01-16-2009, 01:49 AM
Did you tried to send a detailed report with content?
I say detailed because this node needs to scan your
geometry itself and there are limitations in this process,
especially with object layers sharing same surface.

Denis.

PS: radiosity + boolean node works here, but don't forget
that radiosity ray need to travel through transparent part
of objects.

Ok! I'll send it. To Newtek or to you? I've tried this node (x64) with simple ball and cube that's intersecting partially. Surfaces was been simpliest and has a different names.

dpont
01-16-2009, 08:28 AM
It is a third party plugin,
you can find my email bottom of the readme file,
or post it here,
I'm only x32 here,
I already asked Marvin to re-test the Boolean sample on x64,
which contains a Sphere and a Box, may be the same
than yours, hope he will find free time for this.

Denis.

Medi8or
01-16-2009, 11:23 AM
For some nodal solutions without extra plugins:

Right ball in render, just clipmap and doublesided texture.
Middle ball, doublesided and no shading on backside of polygons. Looks ok, but no shadows.
Left ball, an extra plane facing away from camera. Plane invisible to camera and radiosity, not casting shadows. Surface normal flipped with nodes. Inside of ball casts a ray towards camera and gets colour from where it hits the plane. Receives shadows, but needs extra nodes to deal with reflections that may show the extra plane where you don't want it...

Alternatively, use an extra plane, but first render a clipmap for it..

dpont
01-17-2009, 01:51 PM
Ok! I'll send it. To Newtek or to you? I've tried this node (x64) with simple ball and cube that's intersecting partially. Surfaces was been simpliest and has a different names.

No need your content, Marvin found a fix,
it happened randomly in the x32 version of Boolean node too,
and was also in the original code process
of all other nodes needing a geometry scan,
So download the x32 and x64 update DP Kit,

Denis.

kostache
01-18-2009, 11:30 PM
No need your content, Marvin found a fix,
it happened randomly in the x32 version of Boolean node too,
and was also in the original code process
of all other nodes needing a geometry scan,
So download the x32 and x64 update DP Kit,

Denis.

Thanks a lot!
I'll test it right now and report afterwards.:thumbsup:

kostache
01-20-2009, 04:04 AM
Ok, I've tried this new version of boolean node from DP-kit - no errors for x64 anymore! My remarks:
- Object in "outside" mode must be in "double sided" mode (otherwise some artefacts appears) - poly flipping doesn't help. It's so pity that's we have not node control for clip map channel!

Shaun
06-22-2010, 10:40 AM
Yeah, you basically use a duplicate of your model, flipped and turned into a matte in Layout.

Here is the link that I used:

http://www.md-arts.com/

Its the cut-away tutorial.

But you may not be able to use this technique anymore in beta if thats what your using as the the new cameras seems to have broken it!

Worth a try though!

Cool! Why didn't I think of that???

Thanks for the tip.

Shaun.