PDA

View Full Version : Anyone tried dual-monitors with the Matrox DualHead2Go?

stevestrike
05-30-2006, 08:26 AM
The concept sounds good: take a single VGA output and send it to two monitors.
Product Link: http://www.matrox.com/mga/offhome/dh2go/home.cfm
(or three with the triplehead2go http://www.matrox.com/mga/offhome/th2go/home.cfm).

I am interested in this because I would like to use one output of my video card to feed two monitors via the DH2GO, and the other to feed our projectors using the VT4's new VGA output mode. This seems like it could give us the best of both worlds.

So, has anyone seen or used one of these? I wonder how well they work (or not) with the VT4 software.

rbartlett
05-30-2006, 09:11 AM
This isn't what you asked for - because you want someone with first hand knowledge to tell you - but whilst waiting - cogitate this:

Support for dh2go and th2go goes up to a 1280x1024 screen, and that is what the primary display area requirements of VT are. I don't think you can go far wrong.

The only implication I can see is whether NewTek make any decisions SD 4:3, SD 16:9 (or in SpeedEDIT resolutions/ARs) for preview (e.g. ToasterVision) windows based on the current perceived "per monitor" resolution. As to VT the screen will be 2560x1024 or 3840x1024 per display controller head. Perhaps they'll allow for this going forward. If they do, then you are using VGA-out for the fundamental preview - so why worry?

Given that you'd be running the VGA-mode preview through its own head - this looks like a good plan. Although if I had a spare PCI-express x8 slot, I might be tempted to use my $ for an extra display controller (considering the apparent freedom of PCIexpress architectures if you can locate one of these cards - which seem to be like hens teeth).

These DH2Go/TH2Go units remind me of GVP-genlock/sync-strainers/KitchenSync units from the Amiga days. Nice to see folks thinking outside the box, literally.

Matrox are certainly diversifying given their market niche and the pressure from ATI/nvidia/Intel.