PDA

View Full Version : New User

MOSES JONES
05-29-2006, 10:56 PM
G'day from "Down Under",

We have just got Lightwave ( first time users) we have loaded it in all is fine
we run a Mac 2.5 dual proccessor 4 gig memory etc etc...
Our question is what is the best way to organize our data ?
We have loaded Lightwave in System/Applications folder with all our other software and it runs no problems at all.
We run Pro Tools and we have a seperate drive for the audio infomation but in Lightwave it just wants to keep everything in documents !
We know from bitter experience we'd better get this right and because there is no-one, I mean no-one around who knows anything at all about Lightwave we're stuck !
Come one oh wise ones give us the good news.....on Lightwave that is
cheers Moses Jo:help: nes

Kuzey
05-30-2006, 03:16 AM
Do you have folders such as Images,Objects,Scenes etc. within the document folder??
It seems you might have set the document folder as the content directory.

Lw uses a folder structure that is unqiue, but once you get used to it is pretty cool. I think there's a section in the manual on the structure etc....that should help.

To change the content directory press the key "O" to bring up the general options panel in Modeler and Preferences panel in Layout. Then just select your new directory and it should be fine.

Best of luck,

Kuzey

Lumeswell
05-31-2006, 04:38 AM
Moses,

If your Sydney based I might be able to drop in and give you a hand - send me a private message if your interested.

Lumeswell

MOSES JONES
05-31-2006, 07:28 AM
Ok we've just made our first 30sec feature!
Hey this is a lot easier than we thought!

Because we've all worked in audio.... well we just didn't get it!

How's about I run this pass you lot.

Scenes, objects etc don't use a lot of memory and it's cool for such things as this to be stored in the content folder correct?
And because we’re Mac users we keep it with our Lightwave software in the Systems drive…….

The memory issue happens when you render right?

And that's when you use the content folder to direct your data to an appropriate drive with lots of space.

We have been working on this for 3 days and the response we have had and help from sites such as this and people such as you has been abousoulty fantastic.... thank-you one all!
In a few years I hope we can do the same for others,

Regards from Melbourne Oz

Kuzey
06-01-2006, 03:37 AM
The more complex your model/sence gets the more memory it requires while working on it in Modeler/layout. Also, the more disk space the actual files takes up, but they are still pretty small compared to other apps. But a healthy disk space is always handy to have...like ram, the more the better :D

Remember to always keep any images used in lw projects in the image folder, because if you add an image from outside the content directory and then more/delete it in the future. LW will ask you to find the image etc....it's a pain.

And because we’re Mac users we keep it with our Lightwave software in the Systems drive…….

You can have the content directory anywhere, but remember to always make backups if your keeping it with the LW app. It's easy to trash the directory by mistake when upgrading new versions of LW :hey:

Take care,

Kuzey

Lumeswell
06-01-2006, 07:05 AM
Anothing thing you can do to keep an eye on memory usage is set the dock to be always visible, launch the activity monitor and set its icon to be a pie chart of memory usage.

You dont want to do it all the time, but its a good way of keeping an eye on memory usage, not just in LW, but across everything.

Cheers,
Lumeswell

Yamba
06-01-2006, 07:17 AM

Mmmmm a bit of a no-no! It's too easy to lose, being Mac boys you can create a nice Folder outa the way for all your content files.

Follow Kuzeys tips and you won't go wrong and remember, back up.

And welcome, more Aussies onboard

"mac since IIe and still sane, well almost".
Yamba

mike_stening
06-05-2006, 09:55 AM
it's fine keeping everything in your contents folder as that is the default anyway but like the others have said keep a full backup of your lightwave install folder, just in caase like us you have a break in and the macs get nicked that wya you always have your work to carry on with should the mac dissappear, external hard drive which you can hide away somewhere is a good idea.

MOSES JONES
06-17-2006, 12:22 AM
Hi there everyone,

Another question from the novices we are doing a band video
We have done 2d animation,
Some Claymation
And some live footage of the band
All of it shot on iStopmotion and Final Cut.
As you we know have recently got Lightwave and are having a great time!
However we want to use it in our video !

Our next brief is use Lightwave and film 30 secs of
3 male characters (all the same bald, wearing glasses and playing instruments)
And a female long black hair..etc singing ( so she would have to be lip-synced)
Is there a program for Lip-syncing ?
Can we buy the models for the figures?
Then buy another program for making faces then join the two together?
If we could this would speed up things for us no end!
And is this possible?
Thanks for all your help people

Regards Moses Jones

Skinner3D
06-17-2006, 07:26 AM
In regards to buying the models I think that is up to you. Some good sites for this are turbosquid.com, 3d02.com, etc. Just do a search for 3d models. I think the best way to do lip sync in Lightwave is with endomorphs. They take a bit of experimentation, but once you figure them out they are easy to use. The lightwave site should have tutorials on this. I don't know of any way outside of Lightwave to do this, but that definately doesn't mean there isn't one.

BazC
06-17-2006, 08:00 AM
DAZ Mimic (http://www.daz3d.com/shop.php?op=itemdetails&item=1993) might help for lip synching, they have a demo so it's worth trying. They also sell figures (made for Poser but they'll work in LW once they're rigged)

There's also at least one app that creates faces from photos though I can't remember it's name at the moment, Poser has a similar feature which will morph a face to match photos.

MOSES JONES
06-18-2006, 08:01 AM
Once again thanks for your help people !

And BazC I discovered this progarm and it looks great for making faces from photos only trouble is it's for Windows not Mac !

http://store.cgsociety.org/product/000088/
Face Gen modeler 3.1 fror Windows

best regards Moses Jones

MOSES JONES
06-21-2006, 01:23 AM
Hey there O Wise ones,

What's the deal with Poser ?
Can it be used with Lightwave ?
Can I make models in Poser and export them to Lightwave ?
Is this possible ?

Thanks people

regards Moses Jones

Kuzey
06-21-2006, 03:52 AM
I haven't played with poser for a long time but you can import poser models into LW.

There is a program to help you do so but there might be an easier/better solution:

http://www.greenbriarstudio.com/3D/

and a basic tutorial:

http://www.geocities.com/tguilliano/Poser2LW/

Kuzey

BazC
06-22-2006, 03:56 AM
Once again thanks for your help people !

And BazC I discovered this progarm and it looks great for making faces from photos only trouble is it's for Windows not Mac !

http://store.cgsociety.org/product/000088/
Face Gen modeler 3.1 fror Windows

best regards Moses Jones

Sorry I missed your post. Yes that was the app I meant, I didn't realise it was Windows only (should have guessed though!) Bootcamp maybe?

As for importing Poser models to Lightwave, well I haven't used Poser since version 4 (it's now at 6 I believe) but the models are .obj files so yes you can import them to Lightwave, to bring in the morphs, and rigging you would need a plugin, alternatively you could rig in Lightwave.

I don't know much about the Poser "Faceroom" it creates morphs based on photos as I said but I don't know if they're exportable, I would think they are though.

Hope that helps!

BTW DAZ3d make figures for Poser and they have a few free ones so you could try importing and see how they look? Generally Poser models are OK quality wise but tend to be poly heavy because of Posers limitations.

MOSES JONES
06-22-2006, 06:47 PM
Once again thanks people!

I will explain ...

I've never has the Internet at home before
and I'm just "blown away " by the sharing of knowledge and the assistance given by people to each other.

You old hands are probably thinking, "What's the kid on about?"
or more importantly "What's he on and where can I buy some?"

Anyway it probably won't take long for me to lose my
"wide eyed innocence "
and soon I'll start leaving the toilet seat up,
staying out late with my mates and never coming home
and forgetting to say please and thank you....

but right now it's thanks guys.

BazC
06-23-2006, 02:17 AM
Glad to help out! :D

MOSES JONES
03-07-2010, 05:44 PM
Hello there friends,

Due to a series of tragedies we had to stop doing what we were doing however things have finally turned around and we are able to start having some fun again so…….

We are about to install Lightwave 9 into our computer….

Q 1: What is the best way to set the program up in the computer?

Q 2: Is there anything special we should know before we do?

Regards Moses

JonW
03-08-2010, 02:55 AM
Get a good naming protocol going. Lightwave with complex scenes is all about good administration. Also make sure you don’t have any gaps in file names use a “-” or “_” instead of a space. If you start using Screamernet this is critical. It’s best to start now.

Read Matt’s PDF on Screamernet. It’s for PC but the same principles apply. Read it very thoroughly!

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24065