PDA

View Full Version : WMV and MOV formats

sierra
05-29-2006, 12:22 PM
I have a frustration with VT4 in that it will make WMV and MOV formats but it won't let me load them. Is there a plug in or something I need to load them? Or will VT5 take them?

If I want to use them again, I have to go back and find the originals in rtv format.

Also I made a little 320x243 30 second clip with some music. It came to l.6MB in WMV format. I wanted to use it on a server that doesn't take WMV so I re-made it in VT4 as an AVI and as a MOV. Both of them sound great in VT but stutter and are static-filled when played in the WMP or QT. I tried making them into AVI or MOV in Mirage, same problem. And even so, the AVI is 250 MB and the MOV is 25MB. So I started playing around with formats and feel overwhelmed as to which to use for the smallest file that isn't WMV.

And the sound choices are way over my head. Can anyone help with some beginner suggestions as to what you would pick to get a small file that plays well with the sound?

Thanks,

Sierra

chribba
05-29-2006, 01:38 PM
Save one copy of the original in *.rtv format if you planning of using it later, why would you use the wmv or mov if you have set it to lower quality then the original format.

Qualify as small size? Itīs up to you to determine whats the lowest quality you need. Just render out to Wmv,avi or mov.. Remember to check upper or lower field, if they are wrong it can look like stutter.

chribba

sierra
05-29-2006, 02:37 PM
Save one copy of the original in *.rtv format if you planning of using it later, why would you use the wmv or mov if you have set it to lower quality then the original format.chribba

Well the RTV is too big to upload anywhere so that's why I can't use it. When I found I couldn't upload WMV, my thought was to bring the WMV back into VT and re-render it in another format. But of course, VT won't let me load a WMV. So I retrieved my old RTV and have been trying to render the clip as either MOV or AVI, using the original WAV sound file and, as I said, they look and sound great in VT and Mirage, but the sound is terrible in WMP or in QT.

Qualify as small size? Itīs up to you to determine whats the lowest quality you need. Just render out to Wmv,avi or mov.. Remember to check upper or lower field, if they are wrong it can look like stutter.

chribba

Well it's not fair to expect people to download a huge file from a forum just because you want to share your work.I usually have good luck with QT but it still is so much bigger than WMV (1.6 MG), I thought I'd try to find something smaller. I think the fielding must be correct if they look so good in VT and Mirage, right?

This part of my work is still fuzzy to me compared to the artistic part. But I just upgraded VT3 to VT4 and expect VT5 soon and so I'm back into learning all this again after a couple year hiatus. Sorry if my questions sound stupid. And thanks for answering me. It is much appreciated.

Sierra

chribba
05-29-2006, 03:36 PM
The copy of RTV was not to be uploaded to any webpage, it was for you to archive on a safe place (cheap IDE/SATA harddrive)..

1.6 meg is not big if you not using 56K modem but if you still using that anything online must be hard to load...

When you select your codec, click on the "C" just beside the codec select to find out if there are any settings for that codec.

If it sound terrible could it be that your audio is hot or have you selected low quality on the audio? I never go below 44.1 kHz on the audio.

chribba

sierra
05-29-2006, 03:49 PM
The copy of RTV was not to be uploaded to any webpage, it was for you to archive on a safe place (cheap IDE/SATA harddrive)..

1.6 meg is not big if you not using 56K modem but if you still using that anything online must be hard to load...

When you select your codec, click on the "C" just beside the codec select to find out if there are any settings for that codec.

If it sound terrible could it be that your audio is hot or have you selected low quality on the audio? I never go below 44.1 kHz on the audio.

chribba

I agree about archiving my film pieces. I have back up drives for that. But this was a simple short piece I didn't think I was going to need again. When it wouldn't upload, I realized I had to remake it and was glad I still had the project files.

I'm not sure what a hot sound file is but I chose 16bit 48k Stereo at a suggestion on the Mirage forum after the "quad" choice totally failed for me.

I have DSL myself, but not eveyone does so that's why I was trying to keep the size of the file low as possible.

Which codecs to use? That was my original question, there are so many choices of codecs, etc. that I feel lost as to which to select. I was just trying them one at a time to see if I had better luck, but that soon got old as there are so many. So that's why I thought someone here might have a suggestion as to which codecs work well. And since the sound was corrupted in the first five I tried, I began to think there was a more general problem.

I finally just posted the WMV on my website and posted the link on the forum.

Thanks for the suggestions. I will be working at this for awhile since nothing is happening quickly.That's OK, as I am in a learning mode right now with VT and don't have any horrible deadlines breathing down my neck.

Cordially,

Sierra

rbartlett
05-30-2006, 03:09 AM
VT[4] v4.6 (and VT[2] from memory) support editing of WMV, fwiw. In the VT[4] v4.6 incarnation, you need to change your WMV suffix to AVI.

If your target site/forum cannot take WMV, try renaming to ASF. It might be that they haven't loaded the more recent MIME types to allow correct browser delivery of this filetype/mediatype.

It is also possible to encode with the windows media 9 format but instead of putting it into the preferred "WMV format" container, you are allowed to use an AVI container with the same encoder settings.

I recommend you read this article and follow the download link from here please:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/forpros/codecs/vcm/faq.aspx

You should be able to pick a suitably titled audio/video profile from the AVI render options from VT or Mirage.

Re-iterating, you'd be ill advised to re-encode the compressed version unless that is all you have. (hence the "fwiw" earlier).

Codecs and options are plentiful and painful. Even if you stick to Windows and MacOSX native formats, for which today we find Flash (FLV/flv-SWF) taking the place of for web sharing.

I hope that gets you over this bump.... ?

sierra
05-30-2006, 09:03 AM
Thanks so much rbartlett. You really gave me a lot to steer by now. I looked at the article you linked and I will go over it more thoroughly this morning. Such a help!

I think I just got that VCM codec when I upgraded to Win XP. The computer was busy downloading all kinds of upgrades and I just didn't understand what it was. If not, I can download it with the link you posted.

I think you got me over a hump and down the road quite a ways and I thank you again.

Sierra