PDA

View Full Version : need your opinion

lilrayray77
05-29-2006, 08:40 AM
An earlier thread convinced me to look into a tablet. I am thinking about buying the wacom graphire 6x8 with blue tooth. So before I spend $200 I would like your opinion on how useful tablets are with lightwave and also if blue tooth is not worth the extracost. Thankyou for your opinion.

Rayek
05-29-2006, 09:48 AM
95% of the time I use Lightwave (or any other 3d app) with my Intuos Wacom (keyboard usage not included!). It's just much smoother and faster to work with.

Mind you, if you never worked with a tablet before, it may take some getting used to. At times I grab the mouse if and when the movement needs to be less 'flowing' or more precise in a linear manner.

Beware the settings as well: a wacom tablet can be used in relative and absolute mode. The first setting stinks in my opinion, for any app. The latter, absolute, option works like a charm. After some practice your brain knows where each specific location of the screen is located on the tablet. This speeds up any workflow. It is also possible to create a printed template for lightwave (for example a screenshot of the LW-screen) and use that in the beginning.

Sculpting organic forms and drawing smooth curves just doesn't work with a mouse.

Actually, of all my purchases through the years, the wacom still ranks somewhere in the top three of my personal favourites.

Just my take on using LW and wacom tablets.

Cheers,

H

lilrayray77
05-29-2006, 10:02 AM
thanks for the advice. Also I have heard that the graphire drivers arent very good. Is this true?

lilrayray77
05-29-2006, 10:10 AM
oh and also, is it really worth the extra cost for wireless?

Rayek
05-29-2006, 10:16 AM
Well, I've always used Intuos drivers and have no experience with the graphire ones... The Intuos drivers have never given me any problems so far and work great.

It's a one-time-setup deal, really. After Installing the drivers I change the settings once and afterwards never open them again. Only when I have to re-install the system, do I have to deal with those settings again.

The great thing is, you can have different settings for every individual application you use. So when I start modeller, it's possible to change the settings specifically for modeller. Layout can have its own settings, as can Photoshop, Cinema4d, Hexagon, OpenOffice, etcetera. You have to do this once for each app; afterwards you almost never ever return to them again.

Greetzzz,

R

Rayek
05-29-2006, 10:31 AM
I generally despise wireless mouses, keyboards and the like. You need extra batteries or power adaptors, the tend to fall of the table, and so on.

Wacom tablets are these days powered by the USB port, and have quite long chords. They used to be powered by a seperate power adaptor as well. The USB version I got after that first wacom tablet didn't use that adaptor anymore, to my great joy. Now it's just plug an' play.

The bluetooth version has this adaptor thing again. Adaptors are clumsy and through the years, aren't that sturdy as a wacom. I had to replace them twice with my first Wacom! Besides, Why have bluetooth with the aim to remove cables and adding another power adaptor with new cabling to your system??!!

Wireless products are also more prone to errors, in my experience. You also have extra setup to perform. So I avoid them in most cases. They also tend to cost more. And: I often take my wacom along to trainings (I'm a freelance instructor) and on-site jobs. An additional adaptor just gets in the way.

My advice: stick to the chord version. Less electronics as well, so less chance of something to break. You really don't want to add another adaptor to your power sockets.

Well, that's my take on this.

Cheers,

R

Sarford
05-29-2006, 02:25 PM
My view exactly Rayek...

I have a intuos 2 and a graphire A5 tablet. Both work fine although the Intuos has 1024 pressure levels where as the graphire has only 512. I doubd the presure levels will be a problem with lightwave though.
I only notice the difference when I'm painting in painter or photoshop.

I also would go for the USB version. Bateries always die at the most awfull moments, like saturday afternoon when all the shops are closed and you have to deliver your project on monday.

Also realy easy to take along. What if you go on a job and you have to work on a computer without bluetooth? No problem with USB. And works flawlessly on both mac and pc.