PDA

View Full Version : 3ds exporter not working

benfranklin
05-28-2003, 10:53 PM
The 3ds exporter in LW 7.5 Mac is not working... it gives me 'preliminary processing error' each time.

G3 400 mhz, LW 7.5, 297megs ram.

Any tips on getting this to work in Lightwave? Can anyone name a Mac 3d file conversion utility for me please?

p.s. the 7.5c update didn't work for me either.

noiseboy
05-29-2003, 05:28 AM
not that this helps you but 3ds export works here (havent checked with UV map though) and 7.5c installed with no problems (except DVview), worth it for the reduce polys alone.
7.5c on G4 powerbook 867Mhz,640M RAM OS 10.2.6
The only error I get is when there are 4point polys.

benfranklin
05-29-2003, 04:30 PM
it works ok with spheres and cubes. it even works with the lw cow, but not with the object i need to convert. am gonna try it on a pc.

thanks

CoMetX
05-30-2003, 12:00 AM
I'm not sure if this will help, but if you make all of your object on one layer, and save as the .3ds extension, it should load with no problems. May also want to triple you polygons.. incase you get that message. Also, i hear dPolyTrans is a good conversion tool, but it is not cheap :P Hope this helps.

-CoMetX

hcoat
05-30-2003, 12:10 AM
The 3DS export requires all polygon to be trippled. Once they are trippled your object should export just fine. If you are using subpatching you will need to freeze your object before you tripple it. If you tripple it before you freeze it you'll get some funky results. The cow exports because it is made of 3 Point Polys, if your object looks like it is all three point polys, use the statistics window to see if you have 1 or 2 point poly and delet them.

hope this helps